• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Notes from the 4E Corebooks: Alignment, Monsters, Artifacts and More

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger Badger Stealth Gnome Stealth Gnome...
I wish I had the link to the original video/flash, and an explanation what it was about...

http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/

It's a song. About Badgers. Nothing more to say.

Back on topic, I'm also quite happy to see the other were-creatures removed. The werewolf is the 'classic' monster / foe / tragic hero, and if I need stats for other varieties either I'd get a sourcebook on them, or I'd make it up.

Lizard

Explorer
Heselbine said:
Thank goodness all the stupid additional lycanthropes have gone. I mean, do we really need the weretiger? The werefox? The wereshark? The werebadger? OK, I made the last one up.

Yes.

Or, at the least, we need a were-template.

Different cultures have different were-beasts. Were-sharks, very polynesian. Werefoxes, I believe, are Japanese. Weretigers, Indian.

Besides, variety is cool.

balard

Explorer
I like the new take on lycantrophy. If i wish, I can make the final stage of the disease "fatal", where the afflicted guy just becomes a true were-thing.

A cool thing about werewolves, is that we have that legend here in Brazil, and barely have wolfs! Just lame wild dogs and such. It was "imported" from Europe. IIRC, if you were the 7th son of a family of mens, you became a werewolf in the full moon. The only way to cure was to chop your hand of when you are in the monster form. You'd lose it in human form too, but at least you don't eat your loved ones anymore :D

Cadfan

First Post
Lizard said:
Werefoxes, I believe, are Japanese.
Do they transform during the full moon, ravenously attack their neighbors, and transmit werefoxdom by means of bite?

I agree that the game needs more "people who turn into animals." But I don't think that smushing everything under the were-creature umbrella is a good idea. There is a huge difference between a western style werewolf and a kitsune.

For the record, 1) I have no idea how 4e addresses this issue, 2) I have always hated the way D&D handles the "people who can turn into animals" trope, and 3) Its actually a trope I'd really like for the game to do well.

Unfortunately, I have no hope of this (or my other pet peeve, chromatic dragons) ever being resolved to my satisfaction. Ever. If I live to see Dungeons and Dragons 10th Edition, I don't think they'll make me happy here.

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
The Big Goat-Pig himself looks to be nasty--1,545 HP, anyone dead in his aura spontaneously animates as an abyssal ghoul myrmidion, and anyone slain by the Wand who's still dead at the state of his next turn revives as a dread wraith.

Aren't AGM's Minions? That's not so great because if a PC ends up dying and turning undead, they shouldn't be slain in one blow--corrupted PCs are usually a big deal...

NebtheNever

First Post
JohnRTroy said:
Aren't AGM's Minions? That's not so great because if a PC ends up dying and turning undead, they shouldn't be slain in one blow--corrupted PCs are usually a big deal...

It's alright, because they're spontaneously animated as an abyssal ghoul myrmidion next turn. ;)

Remove ads