D&D 5E Nothic Eye Uses?

Aiden_Keller_

First Post
Greetings,

Currently the DM of some young/new to D&D players and running L[FONT=Roboto, Helvetica, sans-serif]ost Mine of Phandelver. They made personal characters and did not choose the premade. The elf Wizard wants to use the Nothic's eye for something....I have no idea how to guide him in what it could do once the creature has been slain.

I found this home-brew item and seriously thought about him creating a magnifying lens out of the eye...

[/FONT]https://www.dndbeyond.com/magic-items/30246-lens-of-the-nothic

Anyone else have any creative ideas?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Weird Insight. During a social interaction challenge, as long as the eye can "see" the NPC, it grants advantage on any Wisdom (Insight) ability checks made to resolve uncertainty as to the outcome of attempts to discern an NPC's ideal, bond, flaw, or agenda.

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
A magic item that grants the user the ability to use the Nothic's weird insight ability a set number of times per day could be flavourful and fun. Since you as the DM dictate what the fact learned is you get to control how powerful it is. If you're feeling a bit chaotic you can vastly vary the usefulness of what is learned.

Another idea is the possibility of the item having a bit of personality and sometimes revealing things to the owner about the people around them in a gossipy manner. "Hey, you see that guy over there? He has fantasies about marrying the princess!"

aco175

Legend
I would have some change of insanity tied with it. The nothic has ties to the far realm which is where crazy comes from. I can see some benefit, but a chance of a penalty as well. Maybe nothing too penalizing since he had the cool idea to do something with it, but enough to make it known that something not too good may happen once in a while.

Remove ads