• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OD&D November 2013--Deluxe OD&D Reprint (White Box + Supplements I-IV)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
This is very much Wizard of the Coast's counterpoint to the super-deluxe Paizo Rise of the Runelords book. It showed people will pay a tonne of money for something super fancy and super collectible. (Sad that WotC is now following the lead of another company...)

And Paizo weren't following in the footsteps of a lot of other premium products? (Including several from WotC?)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I love it, but $150 is a tad too steep for me. If I ever see one in the $70-75 range I'll definitely snag it.

The price is - sadly - likely fair, especially if Wizards want to make money back from the product. It's just such a small market for it. It loses horribly on economies of scale, and it's a real risk for the distributors and retailers who stock it.

I'm going to have a hard time resisting this, even though I have copies of all the original booklets.

delericho

Legend
I recently picked up a copy of the "Rules Cyclopedia" from eBay, at which point I thought there wasn't anything they could reprint that I'd actually want.

And yet, this is appealing...

The price is fairly shocking, especially for something I would never actually use, and I don't really have any great nostalgia for OD&D, having never played it. Plus, it contains dice, so it's most definitely a game, so add 20% VAT to the price...

On the other hand, if we count both this month and November, there are 10 months between now and then, and I can afford to spare the equivalent of $20 each month. So I guess I'm a maybe.

Erekose

Eternal Champion
Sounds like a great product! However, as the cost of the product is high (albeit justifiable) I suspect international P&P would push it out of my league. So unless a retailer like Amazon UK picks it up it'll be a missed opportunity!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Sounds like a great product! However, as the cost of the product is high (albeit justifiable) I suspect international P&P would push it out of my league. So unless a retailer like Amazon UK picks it up it'll be a missed opportunity!

Yeah, it's the shipping I'm curious about (especially after the recent $60 for an issue of Gygax Magazine scenario!) -- I'd love to buy this, though. We'll see!

Dreamscape

Crafter of fine role-playing games
My thoughts:

1) Awesome, want!
2) Pricey
3) Wish it included Chainmail
4) Wish it included Swords & Spells
5) Wish it included outdoor survival map
This (though I'm not sure what the "outdoor survival map" is).
Outdoor Survival was a boardgame with a wilderness hex map that OD&D referred to for use in wilderness hex crawl adventures. That would be nice - but they really should have included Chainmail and S&S. The price of the booklets has to be a pretty small proportion of this package.

Still, any way I look at it, it's great to see the oldest books back in print. That means nothing is impossible now - B/X, please! And Holmes, blue book and UK (Fangorn art) editions!

delericho

Legend
This is very much Wizard of the Coast's counterpoint to the super-deluxe Paizo Rise of the Runelords book. It showed people will pay a tonne of money for something super fancy and super collectible. (Sad that WotC is now following the lead of another company...)

You know, the super-deluxe small-run thing hardly originated with Paizo. Monte Cook beat them to it by some way with "Ptolus", as did Goodman with "Castle Whiterock", and they're not alone. And, of course, other industries have done the same thing for years.

But in any case, why would it matter even if they did get the idea from Paizo? If it's a good idea, it's a good idea to copy. And let's make no mistake - Paizo do an awful lot right. If the net result is that we get a wider range of good products to choose from, isn't that an unquestionable good thing?

Remove ads