• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OD&D November 2013--Deluxe OD&D Reprint (White Box + Supplements I-IV)

Allensh

Explorer
That would be nice. I still plan on buying at least one copy of this for collector purposes - I assume it comes in some kind of shrinkwrap / mint condition seal. But I really do need a play copy for OD&D as well. It's not as if POD binding companies haven't made good money compiling personal copies into unified books for this (and other) games already. We could definitely use a compiled softcover as well. With Chainmail as this game required that book to run.

Actually, it really does not require Chainmail. In fact, I don't know anyone who has actually used Chainmail as the combat system for OD&D..including Gary Gygax. The so-called "optional system" was what we used right from the start.

Allen

Libramarian

Adventurer
I think this is a really cool idea, but before even considering spending that much money I would need a guarantee that the text has actually been re-typed rather than OCRed. The OCR-related typos in the 1e reprints are really annoying.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Actually, it really does not require Chainmail. In fact, I don't know anyone who has actually used Chainmail as the combat system for OD&D..including Gary Gygax. The so-called "optional system" was what we used right from the start.

You can ignore Chainmail's combat system, but there are quite a number of other references there, particularly in the spells and monster abilities, that refer back to Chainmail. Also Initiative and Morale.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Awesome product. The adventure was L3, sequel to L1 and L2. However, from what I know, the original manuscript by Len Lakofka was lost and the published version was recreated.
Speaking of which, the PDF version of L3: Deep Dwarven Delve was added to the DNDClassics web site just yesterday. I think that's the first time it has been made available in electronic format.

delericho

Legend
Holmes is actually the version of Basic that predates B/X, and as I understand, it's an odd offshoot in the evolution of D&D.

The B of B/X is actually Moldvay. Holmes is a curious beast and was seen as sort of introduction to D&D.

Thanks to you both for the clarification. You're right, of course: Holmes, Moldvay, Mentzer... :)

(And, FWIW, I came in with the Mentzer Basic Set.)

Awesome product. The adventure was L3, sequel to L1 and L2. However, from what I know, the original manuscript by Len Lakofka was lost and the published version was recreated.

I was looking at this last night. I think it was the maps that were lost and were recreated - the manuscript was found while going through some drawers. A very lucky find!

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
According to the product history for L3 at DNDClassics:

The Lost Adventure. L3 was originally commissioned by TSR around 1979 as part of a three-adventure trilogy. It was submitted by Lakofka to TSR alongside L1: "The Secret of Bone Hill" (1981) and L2: "The Assassin's Knot" (1983), around 1980. And then it sat around for 19 years.

The problem was reportedly the changing political tides at TSR. Following the 1985 departure of Gary Gygax, Lorraine Williams is said to have purposefully cut out Gygax's friends and supporters. Thus Dave Arneson's Blackmoor adventures came to an end, and the third Lendore Isle adventure was never published by TSR.

The Found Adventure. Sometime prior to the publication of the Silver Anniversary Collector's Edition, someone at Wizards of the Coast found L3 in the "TSR Design Vault" (which probably meant a folder in some file cabinet). WotC decided to publish "Delve," but the editors thought it needed "depth and clarification" to bring it up to modern AD&D standards. Lakofka was happy to oblige and produced a new version of his adventure… which WotC then also lost. Lakofka says that that he didn't hear about the loss until after L3 was published, by which time a number of WotC developers had stepped in to do that required expansion for the adventure.

In the end, Lakofka says, the L3 that we have here is about 80% comprised of material he'd turned in two decades before its release.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads