• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

November - What are you reading?

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
You Can't Go Home Again by Thomas Wolfe

This thing is dense. The version I'm reading is a tall trade paperback just over 700 pages, and every page is simply packed with words. I like his writing very much, but my editorial sensibilities are screaming at me constantly. To give you an example, there's an entire chapter about an old man's eyes and how they are representative of time, change, loss, etc. It's a downright beautiful to read, but I have yet to grasp its significance in the story.

Michael Chabon's "Gentlemen Of The Road: A Tale Of Adventure"

This sounds awesome. So do his other books. Definitely going to pay more attention to this guy.

Lockridge

First Post
I've just started reading Fatal Revenant, the next book in the Thomas Covenant Chronicles by Stephen R Donaldson.

It is good reading although its not really anything new. The same style but not a "must read". If you're a Covenant fan you will enjoy this. The author does tend to use the word mimosa too much.

Pozatronic

First Post
Mallus said:
... After "Gentlemen" you should check out his hardboiled (egg) Jewish noir alternate history The Yiddish Policeman's Union -- it's fantastic. You really can't go wrong with any of his novels, not even his first, The Mysteries of Pittsburgh, which is very very good.

I know, I know. I've been avoiding that crazy jew for far too long! The weird part is; he's right up my alley. He's friends with Jonathan Lethem, and Jonathan Lethem might be my favorite writer (MIGHT be). I read "Werewolves In Their Youth" a few months ago, and told myself that next book i get would be a Chabon one....but it wasn't. But after this one it will be. I promise. Unless that M. John Harrison book I ordered comes in first. But then after that one. Honest to gosh!

Also, if anybody is into flash fiction, they might want to give a hoot about this
especially if you're a Dave Eggers fan. I forgot I was also reading this...but it's flash fiction so, c'mon.

Krug

Newshound
Twilight of the Superheroes and Shadows over Baker Street, the Sherlock Holmes meets Cthulhu compilation.

Wombat

First Post
I recently finished Dan Brown's Angels & Demons. It was ... a book. Best I can say for it.

Now I've got a couple of books on Mayan history to get through, followed by a small raft of articles on 18th century English portrait painting -- the former for my gaming interests, the latter for an editing project I am working on.

Ilium

First Post
S. Baldrick said:
I am reading "The Children of Húrin".
And...?

I've been curious about this book, but given the short version of it in the Silmarillion, I'm not sure I want to invest the time in reading it. What do you think so far?

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
I haven't been reading much, lately. (My usual reading time on the train has been overtaken by naps, since I have a newborn at home that saps my normal sleeping time...)

I may try Gene Wolfe's THE WIZARD next. Never read anything else by him, even with all the rave reviews.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Wombat said:
I recently finished Dan Brown's Angels & Demons. It was ... a book. Best I can say for it.
I've read it 2~3 years ago - and it was... better than Da Vinci Code, at least IMO. But this doesn't mean very much.

Well... November project: The Scar by China Mieville.

Cheers, LT.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads