• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Now that 4e is out, are you into it or sticking with a prior edition?

Which edition, especially in response to 4e?

• Gladly changing with the times--4e is for me

Votes: 303 45.6%
  • Hesitantly changing with the times--I'll try 4e, but I'm not selling my Xe books yet

Votes: 94 14.1%
  • I'm sticking with 3.5 (for whatever reason)

Votes: 248 37.3%
  • I never changed from 3.0 to 3.5

Votes: 40 6.0%
  • I never changed from 2e, or went back to 2e

Votes: 22 3.3%
  • I never changed from 1e, or went back to 1e

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Advanced D&D? faw! Basic all the way

Votes: 22 3.3%
  • OD&D, baby!!!

Votes: 16 2.4%

Hussar

Legend
Y'know, it's funny. I came to this thread through JD Wilker's blog. He trumpets repeatedly that the split is 50/50 - 39% to 39%. But, he leaves off the other 15 % that's changing edition (ie, buying the new books.

That means in a section of En World which has repeatedly shown itself to be pretty anti-4e, the actual split is about 50% higher for those deciding to change editions.

BryonD

Hero
Hussar said:
Y'know, it's funny. I came to this thread through JD Wilker's blog. He trumpets repeatedly that the split is 50/50 - 39% to 39%. But, he leaves off the other 15 % that's changing edition (ie, buying the new books.

That means in a section of En World which has repeatedly shown itself to be pretty anti-4e, the actual split is about 50% higher for those deciding to change editions.
Woo Hoo!!! New Shiny 4E is the (in some cases begrudging) choice of 60%!!!!!

"anti-4e" section? How can that be? I thought everyone loved 4E except two or three loudmouth firebrands. Being as ENWorld is pretty much the most 4E friendly place going, for you to call General "anti-4e" speaks volumes.

Last edited:

Wicht

Hero
Hussar said:

I read the numbers a little different.

With the caveat that this is an unscientific internet poll, it has been consistant in showing that only 54% of the gamers at large plan on switching and of those, 15% are switching with some hesitancy.

Those numbers should be much, much higher.

44% show that they want to stick with OGL games, either 3.0 or 3.5 or PFRPG. That is not an unsignificant part of the market.

Erik Mona stated on a podcast that he thought it possible that WotC might be trying something new - releasing a game that will leave behind a good percentage of the old customer base while still bringing in enough new players to be successful. I would have to say that it looks like WotC has fulfilled the first part of that prediction pretty well.

Garnfellow

Explorer
4e looks like a fun game that may fix many of 3e's problems, but after 10 months of "marketing" I remain unconvinced that 4e is so much better as to justify converting three existing and very enjoyable 3.5e campaigns.

My biweekly Runelords game will probably run for another year under 3.5; my biweekly Savage Tide might convert to Pathfinder, but in any case has another year and half or more to go. The monthly game I play in (three DMs, swapping responsibilities) probably has at least 2 or 3 years left and may also go Pathfinder.

All told, these three groups represent 15 different players, none of whom are particularly interested in 4e. None of them are haters, but probably 5 or 6 know virtually nothing about the new edition. If a 4e quorum were to spontaneously arise, I'd be glad to give 4e a shot. But I don't see that happening in the near future.

If WotC ever gets its virtual tabletop off the ground, I would be tempted to run a 4e game for some good friends who have either moved far away or have kids and can't commit to regular face-to-face games. But I don't see that happening, either.

So, for the time being, I remain a happy 3e/Pathfinder guy.

drothgery

First Post
Y'know, I checked both 'gladly switching to 4e' and 'sticking with 3.5'. Because it's pretty much true.

I'm not going to DM 3.5 anymore (though except for a few short-lived PBP games, I never did). I'm not going to join any new 3.5 PBP games. If I DM for my tabletop group, it will be 4e or Star Wars Saga.

But for my regular tabletop game, well, I'm not one the two usual DMs. And I like gaming with these guys. And the guy who's currently running things isn't switching over any time soon. So I'm perfectly happy to play 3.5 when he's running things. I'll just stick with characters that don't become excessively complicated at high levels (which basically means I won't play major prepared spell casters). And I don't want to abandon the one active 3.5 PBP game I'm in (even if I did take a stab at converting my character in that game to 4e last night).

Remove ads