• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Now that 5E is imminent, what are your D&D plans?

What are your D&D plans going forward?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm currently running one Deadlands game twice a month, and starting up a Shadowrun game once a month.

I expect I'll get the 5e rules, and fiddle with them a bit. But until the Deadlands game wraps up (which is foreseeable - the PCs are apt to off one of the three BBEGs in the next session), I am unlikely to run it regularly.

If someone offers me a seat in a 5e game, I'll certainly consider it.

kmdietri

Explorer
Sounds like some of the options I think are very important (more tactical combat) I'll probably waiting until the DMG to convert.

Also, since we us FG for all our gaming, (in house or otherwise) I'll probably be waiting for aruleset to be finalised before adopting.

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
IMPOSSIBLE TO ANSWER.

I run a Swords & Wizardry game and a 3.x game. I also ordered the D&D Starter Set. I am planning on continuing my Swords & Wizardry game (Circle the Wagons, fellow Grognards!), continuing my 3.x game (Thriving as is!), and trying out the D&D Starter Set (On the Fence). So my vote is: Meh, D&D? That's so 80s.

Mercurius

Legend
But I really don't understand this prevailing opinion that the editions of D&D, including Pathfinder, are currently interchangeable. 1st, 2nd, the 3rd continuum, and 4th are each so different from one another.

It's not that they are interchangeable, it's that many people--or at least myself--only have time/energy/interest for one game at a time.

The most it would ever be is one of several games I play/GM. It's likely to be competing with several other new games, and considering my group didn't like the playtest that much - Meh, was the general reaction - it's not likely to win that contest. The most I'm likely to do is get the character creation download and read the reviews.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
But I really don't understand this prevailing opinion that the editions of D&D, including Pathfinder, are currently interchangeable. 1st, 2nd, the 3rd continuum, and 4th are each so different from one another.

I don't think there's that opinion. I think there's a large number of folks who don't see a reason to care which you're playing, which is a different thing. I can tell the difference between vanilla and chocolate ice cream. But I'll eat either of them. Both are perfectly acceptable. Same for D&D - they're all perfectly acceptable games.

Mercurius

Legend
I don't think there's that opinion. I think there's a large number of folks who don't see a reason to care which you're playing, which is a different thing. I can tell the difference between vanilla and chocolate ice cream. But I'll eat either of them. Both are perfectly acceptable. Same for D&D - they're all perfectly acceptable games.

It's the Sex-Ice Cream-Pizza Principle (or SIPP). "Bad" pizza, ice cream, or sex is still pretty good and preferable to no pizza, ice cream, or sex...within reason, of course.

But seriously, I think the ice cream analogy works because--for me, at least--I love just about every flavor of ice cream, but I do have my preferences. It is both: they're all ice cream, but they come in different flavors, some of which I prefer more than others (of course, to nitpick, not all brands of ice cream are equal; boutique gelato > Ben & Jerry's > Breyer's > generic supermarket brand, but I think that takes away from the key point and possibly opens the door in a not-so-productive direction).

Ergo, different flavors of D&D--with possible preferences of this or that flavor--but it's all D&D.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
to bump the thread and get more votes.

timing works well, I will start with the new books, unless there is some unexpected badness about them.

Olfan

First Post
I'm running a Pathfinder megadungeon at the moment and planning on switching to 5th edition as soon as the three core books are released. Earlier if I get bored of our current game. My players are pretty chill and will play most anything I put in front of them. We've gone from PF to original Deadlands to 1st edition AD&D so I think they'll find no problem switching.

Remove ads