• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Now that EN World is bookmarked, I should probably introduce myself...

Scorponox

First Post
Hi all,

I've been lurking here over the last few weeks, and then recently registered a name. So with the visits getting more and more frequent, I thought maybe it was time to say hello and introduce myself.

So this is my official "Hello" thread.

Anyways, to start off, I had never played D&D before, until this year. Well, that's not exactly true. Some guy in high school tried to play D&D, but it was only on a piece of paper. Didn't seem too interesting to me.

I then started getting interested in those little toy soldiers when a Games Workshop opened up in a mall. It looked like a lot of fun, but the only problem was, I really didn't want to paint 20+ miniatures. So I started customizing them, giving them different heads, and unique color schemes. Though some people thought they looked nice, they couldn't really serve a function in Warhammer, so I abandoned ever trying to get into it.

I've always liked Japanese RPGs since playing Final Fantasy VIII, so I continued customizing miniatures to look like my favorite FF characters. I was always on the hunt for heads, bodies, and spare parts from Warhammer or Heroclix miniatures - so I could cut them up and make my own unique creations.

Fast forward to maybe 2(?) years ago. I was in my local hobby shop, when these new miniatures were introduced. They were the D&D miniatures. Great, I thought. More heads and bodies to cut up to turn into miniatures!

So this went on for awhile, off and on, all the while creating my own games and story to go along with my own world.

Until one fateful day, the forum I consider my 'home' forum, someone posted a message regarding D&D. I won't go into great detail, but you can read it here if you are curious. But the basic jist of it was, I got curious about the game, and that eventually led me to Kijiji, where I saw an ad posted for people to join a new D&D group.

The new group had too many people, and the person in charge basically told me they needed a Dungeon Master (DM) to run the game, and that was the only way they would let me play, because she wasn't about to run a campaign with 8+ people in it. I told her, how can I be a DM, I don't even know how to play the game? In which she said the game itself was easy. All you need to do is come up with a story for the players to adventure in.

Well, I did just that, and it seems the players are pretty content with the story so far. The link I put above has the story summary, and in my opinion, it's turning out better than I expected. We are using the 3.5 rules because they have most of the books in that version, and didn't feel like spending another $200+ to get the 4.0 ones. (But I did; buying the DMG, PHB, & MM1 in version 4)

I still have problems with understanding some of the rules, but hopefully in time, that will come. I bought the D&D Miniatures Game starter set today, and I've been playing it the majority of the night. Someone shoulda told me right away to just get that set and play it. I was getting fragments of rules and instructions from tons of different people, and getting pretty confused. The starter set really clarified a lot of things.

So after turning off my phone tonight and just playing through several battles of "Good Guys Try To Kill The Green Dragon Without Much Success" I decided to log on and say hello for the first time! :)

Hopefully, there will be many more posts to come.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
Welcome to ENWorld. Glad to hear you've decided to get into D&D once and for all! Feel free to ask for rules clarifications or advice; it seems there's always someone around with a response (and sometimes they're even helpful ;) )

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads