• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NPC Antagonists

valeren

First Post
My group loves fighting antagonists with character classes back in 3.5e. 4e actually gives around three ways of making (stating out) such characters. One way of via the Class templates (on p182 of the DMG), another way is via the NPC creation process (on p186) and simply creating an NPC just like a PC.

Question is, which of the three processes do you think is best for creating an NPC?

From our past games, we saw problems in running an NPC until the character's actually encounter them. Seems there will be quite a difference when combat begins. NPCs using the templates would be tougher since they have higher HPs and such for being Elite (or even Solo) monsters.* While NPCs created under the PC rules (may) have more powers.

* My players think it's quite unfair that NPC characters of the same level are tougher than they are (solo).

fba827

Adventurer
If they're going to encounter this NPC in a wide variety of situations (combat and noncombat) then stat it out (or at least to the point of skills).

But, beyond that, just go with whatever is easiest for the DM (you) because otherwise it's not going to live long enough to make all the effort you put in actually worth it.

Yes, an NPC of the same level may have more hit points, etc. But considering the fight will eventually devolve in to all the PCs piling up with all their daily powers on the one NPC, the extra HP are actually needed so that the NPC lives long enough to be seen as a credible threat rather than just a minion to wipe away with 1 hp.

Jhaelen

First Post
Here's what I'd do:
Create the antagonist as an npc using the DMG rules, then add a template to turn him into an Elite. You may want to use a 'BBEG' template of your own devising.
If you prefer the pcs to encounter the antagonist on his own, you may want to add a second template to turn him into a Solo. But personally, I think Elite + a couple of flunkies works better.

Ideally, each time they're encountering the antagonist again, he will have replaced one or more of his powers or gained a new item, etc. to keep things fresh.

Mr. Teapot

First Post
Four ways to make an NPC, actually: Use the DMG monster creation rules to create a new monster that has powers similar to, but not the same as, a PC class. So you could create "Kestrel, human mage" and he casts spells, but none of them are the same as the wizard spells from the book.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads