• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NPC classes - Thug and Acolyte

Dispater

Explorer
I was wondering if anyone had ever done these concepts.

With the Thug I mean the hired muscle or wise guy of the medieval fantasy, a weaker version of rogue, but less stealthy and evasive, and more brutish.

The acolyte is my NPC version of the Cleric class. These are the regular priests and templars of the campaign, whilst the more powerful clerics are more rare.

Acolyte(?) NPC class

There are thos who spend their entire lives behind temple walls in silent contemplation and service to their deities. Acolytes are devoted followers, and represent everything from the common wicker to the high priest of a organised church.

BAB: As Wizard/Sorc
Good saves: Will
HD: d4
Armor and Weapon proficency: Proficient with no armor or shields, proficient with all simple weapons.

Class Skills: The Acolytes class skills are: Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (religion), Profession (Wis), Scry (Int; exclusive skill) and Spellcraft (Int)

Skill Points at 1st level: (2+Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2+Int modifier

Spells: Acolytes recieve a small portion of spells per day. To cast a spell, they must have minimum 10+spell?s level Wisdom.

Spell List: Acolytes gets to choose spells from the cleric main list. They also choose one domain of their patron deity, and gain the special ability and the bonus spells. The maxium spell level for Acolytes is 5th.

Level 0 1 2 3 4 5
1 3 1+1
2 3 1+1
3 3 2+1
4 3 2+1
5 3 2+1 1+1
6 3 2+1 1+1
7 3 3+1 2+1
8 3 3+1 2+1
9 3 3+1 2+1 1+1
10 3 3+1 2+1 1+1
11 3 3+1 3+1 2+1
12 3 3+1 3+1 2+1
13 3 3+1 3+1 2+1 1+1
14 3 3+1 3+1 2+1 1+1
15 3 3+1 3+1 3+1 2+1
16 3 3+1 3+1 3+1 2+1
17 3 3+1 3+1 3+1 2+1 1+1
18 3 3+1 3+1 3+1 2+1 1+1
19 3 3+1 3+1 3+1 3+1 2+1
20 3 3+1 3+1 3+1 3+1 2+1

Spontaneous casting: Good acolytes (and neutral acolytes of good deities), can channel stored spell energy into healing spells that they haven?t prepeared ahead of time, just as the clerical ability. On the other hand, evil accolytes can convert them into to inflict spells.

Turn/Rebuke undead: Acolytes cannot turn or rebuke undead.

Last edited:

~Joseph~

First Post
sorry to burst your bubble but the adept is the npc equivalent to a cleric/druid, I would still like to see the thug though. In the DMG the adept has it's own spell list that is more centered around it's niche in society, I think that the akolyte would have something simaler, mostly weak devining spells, and make the spell level high than a clerics, like cure light wounds as a 2nd lvl spell as opposed to 1st.

Dispater

Explorer
Hmm, well as a matter in fact I do know quite well what the adept is.

But that's not what I'm looking for. Common NPC priests, the members of a organised society of faith, shouldn't be adepts, nor clerics. Therefore I made this class.

I agreee, though, that the acolytes should have a "light" cleric spell list, with major access to divination and healing, and litle or no access at all to most combat related spells.
The thug hasn't been made on my behalf, I would just like to see if anyone else have done this. I know there's one in the Traps & Treachery book, so maybe I'll check that out.
Anyone?

S'mon

Legend
NPC priests

In a low-fantasy game NPC priests can be Experts. In a higher-fantasy one they can be lower-level clerics or cleric-experts, cleric-warriors, etc. I can see a need for creating variant cleric classes though, eg clerics of the god of peace don't need the standard cleric's combat abilities. The 2e Complete Priest's Handbook has lots of good ideas on this.

Remove ads