• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NPC classes-VERY LONG!

Christian

Explorer
OK, I think I'll leave the Expert alone, other than cranking down on their skill choices a bit.

Anyone else care to chime in? Doesn't anyone think this is a stupid idea? C'mon, don't be shy!

Tony Vargas

Legend
I'm just now starting up a campaign and using a similar concept. It's even more draconian, though. The PC classes are almost exclusive to PCs, the PCs being fated 'chosen heroes.' NPCs with PC classes would be limited the odd legendary historical figure and major recurring villains. I'm even saddling PCs with NPC class levels. It's a very long-term game, and downtime can be used for training and non-super-heroic-save-the-world type stuff, given exp towards NPC classes.

Christian

Explorer
Tony Vargas said:
I'm just now starting up a campaign and using a similar concept. It's even more draconian, though. The PC classes are almost exclusive to PCs, the PCs being fated 'chosen heroes.' NPCs with PC classes would be limited the odd legendary historical figure and major recurring villains. I'm even saddling PCs with NPC class levels. It's a very long-term game, and downtime can be used for training and non-super-heroic-save-the-world type stuff, given exp towards NPC classes.

Sounds interesting! Let us know how that works out ...

Al

First Post
I once house-ruled that going about your everyday business (working for most people, training and guarding for martial classes, research and reading for arcane spellcasters, etc.) netted you a grand total of 1XP/day. This seems very small and the progression works out like this:
Assume 250 'working' days/year.
Reach 2nd level after 4 years (for an average person, he is now 20)
Reach 3rd level after 12 years (aged 28)
Reach 4th level after 24 years (aged 40)
Reach 5th level after 40 years (aged 56)
Reach 6th level after 60 years (aged 76)
So most people will reach 5th level in an average working career: more than the stipulated 2nd or 3rd in the DMG for most ordinary classes, and not as high as the proposed system here (whereby they reach 8th/9th level). This provides enough difference between the old experienced master and the young apprentice without making the old roofer 8th/9th level.

Dispater

Explorer
NPC classes are great!

Yet I feel there there is need for a few more than those in the DMG.

(And thereby shamelessly refer to my own NPC thread.)

HeavyG

First Post
Sounds about right to me, Al.

In my games, most people are 2nd-4th level. 1st level is for those with no experience, apprentices and such.

I'm against the idea that PCs are inherently superior to 'puny NPCs' (except statwise and, most of the time, levelwise, of course).

What this means :

- Joe farmer : Commoner 2-4 (depending on age)
- Bill farmer, Joe's son : Commoner 1
- Average town guard : Warrior 2 or Warrior 1/Commoner 1 or warrior 1/Expert 1.
- Average soldier : Warrior 2*
- Veteran soldier : Warrior 3 or Warrior 4*
- Elite Soldier : Warrior 2/Fighter 1*

- Average orc : Warrior 3 or barbarian 2 (a savage culture where fighting is commonplace = much combat experience)
- Average ogre : Warrior 1 or barbarian 1 (although this isn't really needed since they have a good base HDs representing levels.)

An adventurer 1st level fighter is a guy with much potential and a very good training, but with no actual combat experience. He'd better be careful or lucky if he wants to survive.

Or those, that means I don't send 12 orcs against a 2nd level party and expect them to survive. It keeps combat manageable and, IMO, more fun.

BTW, ogre barbarians are nasty. I like it like that.

* = Possibly one level replaced by commoner or expert depending on background.

Also, if I had designed the NPC classes, they would have NO BAB increase at all (except for warriors, of course). And they would get skill focus and other such special abilities.

YMMV (Big time)

Spyritwind

First Post
It's an interesting subject. I admitt I need to take a closer look at the NPC classes, but I do like the idea and implementation of them.

I've never like the idea of the whole world being 1st level by default though. No one would be able to do very much of anything and nothing well. People are capable of learning a lot and gaining expertise in many things. Experience in life needn't be learning how to survive combat situations. There in lye's the problem.

DnD is a level based system with the Hero's being the default characters that the game is based on. There are no skills with out levels and no levels with out more hit points and BAB.

I like the idea of having a commoner that's capable of being really good at his job, but that doesn't mean he, or she can smack down a handfull of orcs.

Maybe commoner levels in some cases should have a worse BAB advancement than wizards and lower the hit points to one hit point per level after first level. That way you can have a talented normal without them coming out like a butt stomper.

On the other side of the coin I don't mind allowing "commoners" regular class levels. The average person, commoner, or not is 2nd level and 3rd isn't rare. This can be deemed as munchkin, or hi end to some, but it's not really. It means the players have to be at least 5th level before they start to pull away from the crowd and that makes the game, or characters less powerfull.

If the town gaurd is Barney Fife then he's 1st level. If he's adiquite he's 2nd. If he's a verteran then he's 3rd. If he's a hardened verteran then he's 4th. 5th, or more is exceptional and doesn't happen often, but it does exist.

A handfull of gaurds from a town that has disciplined, well trained, savy men that are well equiped are very different than a handfull of bafoons and the next town over. It just depends. It keeps the players a little more honest and on their toes. They have to think a little more and swing a little less.

Remove ads