• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NPC/PC names and other games

EvilMountainDew

First Post
I have noticed plenty of names that people use, both for PCs and NPCs, that I have seen elsewhere. Although it never dawned on me that I could do this myself, I feel like I lost something of my character if I hadn't thought up a name.

I would name some but I don't want to offend anyone. I also have a question, Do you feel fine with using an already used name? Or do you, like me, feel slightly deprived of something if you do?

Also, I want to hear of some of the names you've heard of that have been used elsewhere.

-Ekimus-

First Post
Some names I keep on tap are Krunk, Karhn, Rith, Dromar, Dragarz, Crosis. A majority of these are from MTG, and Krunk is from a funny cartoon.

Re-using uncommon names is perfectly fine with me. We have 2 DM's that constantly switch campaigns and DMing, so I constantly re-use names that I feel continue the same character. Re-using names that are common (Asmodeus, Drizit, etc etc etc) just tend to make me think very lowly of that character. They "seem" complete followers and lower the fun-factor of actually playing D&D, because you KNOW that they can never live up to that status.

jdavis

First Post
It all depends, if you are naming your Ranger Aragorn then yes, but if you are using a obscure name from a book or movie or such then it isn't as bad. I have used names picked randomly out of a phone book for modern settings for PC and NPC names and I have used names from obscure sources on several occasions (once I got caught when the obscure band whose Guitar players name I nabbed broke big, it did become a problem but it wasn't when the name wasn't well known,). Naming your new Barbarian character Conan is sort of silly, having a wizard named Chondu the mystic isn't as bad.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads