• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NPC stats in PDF books - waste of space or useful DM's aid?

NPCs in PDFs - wasted printer paper or good idea?

• Excellent DM aid! Love those NPC's!

Votes: 60 58.3%
  • Waste of space! NPC's kills trees!

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • Other. What's an NPC?

Votes: 8 7.8%

• Poll closed .

Jolly Giant

First Post
I have this book that's nearing completion (see sig.) and I wonder how much info to put in it. So how do all of you feel about NPC stat blocks in your PDF books? (I'm thinking a sample NPC for each PrC here.)

Are they a waste of printer paper and ink, or do you find them useful?

Crothian

First Post
I like the NPCs there but you might consider grouping them all togeth in an index or something so people can easily choose not to print them out

Jolly Giant

First Post
Crothian said:
I like the NPCs there but you might consider grouping them all togeth in an index or something so people can easily choose not to print them out

Yeah, I was thinking I might put them all in one place; at the end of the chapter of PrC's, for example. That way you can easily skip those pages if you don't want them.

Roudi

First Post
Bookmarks are wonderful things in PDFs... they let you build indexes with fancy links, and glowing lights, and mad bling-bling...

Er, okay, so maybe bookmarks aren't THAT good, but they can help you out. An index of NPCs, with many copious links to said index in the main book, should do you good. Linking is a good thing, as Martha Steward would say (if she wrote RPG PDFs).

Of course, you could always throw the stat blocks on to your website instead, and link to it. This would draw more people to your website and increase your promotional ability.

Oh yes. If there is a fuzzy pink hat-wearing pimp of the RPG PDF world, I am he.

Voadam

Legend
I game by e-mail for the most part so the ability to copy and paste npc and monster stats to temporary files is great. I have done so recently for the sample NPC from a paladin prestige class book and it saved me tons of time that it would have taken to type in the info myself let alone stat him out with the 3rd party prestige class from scratch.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I voted a qualified yes, as long as the NPCs are kept to an appendix. Additionally, if you keep the sample NPCs seperated by page breaks, it would allow busy DMs to print off the NPCs for the night's game session. If you did that, I would be happy.

Remove ads