• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NPC statting

Majushi

First Post
My DM and I have been talking back and forth about how to treat NPC's in 4th ed.

How do you go about statting them up?

Do you do them like monsters, in which case do they all have xp?

And do they have Monster equivalent Xp?

Thanks for your time guys.

James McMurray

First Post
I use the guidelines in the DMG 99% of the time. Once I made a party of NPCs and built them from the ground up, though I didn't give them the full gamut of feats, paragon paths, and epic destinies. I only did that because I wanted them to be recurring villains who were more versatile and less powerful.

For most purposes the DMG guidelines are perfect.

Obryn

Hero
The DMG has great guidelines for making NPCs. I've made a few so far. It's pretty short and sweet, relatively speaking.

-O

Majushi

First Post
To be honest, all I found in the DMG was giving NPC's quirky personalities.

Am I missing something. Is there a page number you could give me?

Engilbrand

First Post
That's such an awesome connection. You win the internets. We shall send you gifts through the tubes.

NPCs do whatever I want them to. If they're enemies, I might actually stat them up like PCs. If they're "good guys", they do whatever I decide.

Mengu

First Post
I have yet to "stat out" an NPC using the NPC rules. It takes entirely too long. I just assign a role to them, pick a monster with that role that's close to the level I want, and start hacking at it until it looks good and does what I want. My world does not have ANY fighters, clerics, or wizards running around, other than the PC's. Everyone else is an NPC, statted like a monster to suit my needs.

DracoSuave

First Post
I have yet to "stat out" an NPC using the NPC rules. It takes entirely too long. I just assign a role to them, pick a monster with that role that's close to the level I want, and start hacking at it until it looks good and does what I want. My world does not have ANY fighters, clerics, or wizards running around, other than the PC's. Everyone else is an NPC, statted like a monster to suit my needs.

This method is -also- correct.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post

Were I running a homebrew, this is what I would do. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads