• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NPC Swordmage

BeholderBurger

First Post
Im trying to create a swordmage NPC following the rules for NPC creation in the DMG p.186-188. Now I wanted to create this swordmage using a fullblade from the adventurer's vault but this is a superior weapon which the swordmage is not proficient with. Given that the rules of NPC creation ignore the feat selection stage would I just ignore the proficiency bonus to show that the swordmage is not proficient? It seems a bit restrictive although I understand that the system is devised to save time.

I like to add class templates, even if they have the class already. If I am statting up an NPC using PC rules, then the NPC is special, and I want to make them tougher than the PCs. It also makes for a more fun character creation experience. If I am not into the character creation experience right then, I just reskin some monster to fit the bill. I might add a few powers, but since I don't have to adhere strictly to the character creation rules, I just do whatever fits.

A swordmage with another class template can change his role to whatever you want. Leader? Taclord. Controler? Wizard. Striker? TWF ranger, brutal rogue, or Helllock. Depends on how I will use the NPC. Long term: class template. Short term: fake it by reskinning a monster and giving a few powers from swordmage. The rules don't really have to apply either way. Just make it a challenge appropriate to your need.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
You're the DM. Do whatever the hell you want. Your NPCs exist purely to make your player's existance in this world feel cool. If your swordmage NPC wielding a fullblade adds to your world (because he looks more baddass and is perhaps someone your players hope to aspire to), then do it. Do any of it.

And don't worry about "the rules"... because either this is a friendly or neutral NPC (which means your players will never go into combat against him and thus worrying about game balance is not a concern)... or he's an enemy NPC and it just means you might need to consider him one higher level than normal because of his weapon, when trying to create an encounter with him in it. Either way... it's easily handled.

Remove ads