• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NPCs you'd like to play as PCs.

adwyn

Community Supporter
Several years ago I had a nondescript NPC wizard who acquired his personality as part of an escape - the players decided that he had been playing down his real powers and that he must be important, so not having time to deal with him they began tracking him almost everyday with a scrying mirror.

I always wanted to incorporate that into a character background - powerful forces are keeping a very close eye on all the character does, convinced he is part of a master plot and will slip up and reveal it soon.

Storminator

First Post
I kicked off my Golden Age M&M game with Dr Null robbing a bank with his henchman Polymer (a stretch villain). A year later when I got to play, I took the reformed Polymer, having just finished his stint in prision, and ran him as a super. He has trouble remembering which side of the law he's on, and so do super villains and cops. He's a hard luck case and a ton of fun.

PS

I was tempted to turn Meepo from the Sunless Citadel into a recuring, Gollum/Gurgi-like character that might be pretty fun (for me) to run as a PC, given the right group.

I ran my Meepo as Sorcerer 1 who was "optimized" as a Dragon Keeper. His spells were mostly defensive -- Mage Armor and Protection from Evil -- as were his Feats.

He -- and a group of kobold War1's freed from goblin prison -- fought alongside the PC's until they decided the goblin chieftain.

By that time, Meepo had leveled up to Sorcerer 2, I believe. Since this was the time of 2008 Democratic primaries, and we play infrequently, I decided that if Obama (the male underdog) got the nomination, the Kobold Queen was overthrown.

So Meepo is now "King" of the Sunless Citadel -- all of it, since the PC's cleared the lower levels -- a fact the PC's noted with amused satisfaction on their way out. But he hasn't recurred since.

He was never quite a DMPC (players ran him), but it was a whole lot of fun creating his revised version.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads