NPR Coverage

Pedantic

Legend
NPR ran an 8 minute segment on the OGL situation including quotes from Linda Codega and Griffin Macaulay, which I thought was pretty good. It focused a bit overmuch on home game impacts (which are mostly nil), but was a decent summary of the outrage. Codega in particular has some good quotes summarizing why even the "improved" 1.2 draft is still viewed negatively.

Proposed copyright changes have Dungeons and Dragons fans up in arms

darjr

I crit!
463BB277-C7BF-4259-9233-0A92380A017D.jpegD87BEACF-1086-4B46-AAEA-4D4AB7709A86.jpeg

Also this quote.
>> In an interview, the executive producer of Dungeons & Dragons, Kyle Brink, said the proposed OGL Version 1.1 was very much still being developed internally when it leaked. He said the goal was not to further monetize D&D but to protect it against hateful content and to address emerging technologies.

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
Also this quote.

>> In an interview, the executive producer of Dungeons & Dragons, Kyle Brink, said the proposed OGL Version 1.1 was very much still being developed internally when it leaked. He said the goal was not to further monetize D&D but to protect it against hateful content and to address emerging technologies.

In an interview, the executive producer of Dungeons & Dragons, Kyle Brink, said the proposed OGL Version 1.1 was very much still being developed internally when it leaked. He said the goal was not to further monetize D&D but to protect it against hateful content and to address emerging technologies.
These goals can be more readily achieved with a restrictive Trademark License and a badge of approval. See for example Paizo's Compatibility License.

They have nothing to do with what the OGL itself is actually supposed to be about, which was to create a common lingua franca of rules expressions to avoid copyright issues embroiling the whole industry in malicious lawsuits.

It's frankly stunning that the lawyers over at WotC seem unable to perceive the difference. But ever since they gave up on the d20 Trademark License, they appear to have missed the point entirely.

I only let crops hold my imagination when I start as a 1st level farmer.
An appropriate crop for the current fiasco
1674770621397.png

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
NPR ran an 8 minute segment on the OGL situation including quotes from Linda Codega and Griffin Macaulay, which I thought was pretty good. It focused a bit overmuch on home game impacts (which are mostly nil)
Telling the audience why this matters to them is good journalism, even if the answer is "not much, but here's how it's impacting other people."

Remove ads