• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Number of PHBs and DMGs

Do you want one DMG and PHB or multiples of each?

For me when they came out with a second PHB in 3am(and continued that into 4e) it was a deal breaker. I plan on giving 5e a try, but only if they can do it in the traditional, 1phb and 1dmg format (fine with multiple monster manuals).

Gryffyn

First Post
It's not guaranteed that 5e will even use the PHB/DMG/MM model at all. From the sounds of it, I won't be shocked if the first product for it is a beginner's box set with the basic rules.

the Jester

Legend
Do you want one DMG and PHB or multiples of each?

For me when they came out with a second PHB in 3am(and continued that into 4e) it was a deal breaker. I plan on giving 5e a try, but only if they can do it in the traditional, 1phb and 1dmg format (fine with multiple monster manuals).

I would like to see the PH1/DMG1 include the complete game, but am totally fine with a PH2 coming out later with more options. The 3e PH2 was excellent, for instance.

I think this is a silly dealbreaker to be honest; to me, it's the same as saying, "Oh no, they released a Complete Warrior supplement! DEALBREAKER!" I guess I just don't see why a book having a particular title suddenly makes it this horrible burden or whathaveyou.

Nebten

First Post
images

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!*

*PHB & DMG

Hassassin

First Post
I have no problem with PHBx and DMGx, but would be more likely to buy a themed or tier based book than the mishmash that they were in 3e.

I think this is a silly dealbreaker to be honest; to me, it's the same as saying, "Oh no, they released a Complete Warrior supplement! DEALBREAKER!" I guess I just don't see why a book having a particular title suddenly makes it this horrible burden or whathaveyou.

For me it is a simple financial issue. I can justify purchase of three core books and maybe the occasional supplement as time goes on, but having to buy multiple PHBs to keep up with the system is something I have no interest in (particularly if they spread traditional core material across several of them).

john112364

First Post
I think if they put the core rules in a PHB and a DMG I would be fine with it. I also wouldn't mind a PHB2 with optional rules. Actually now that I type that it sounds like I want a set up like the BECMI books. You know, core rules in the first one then add layers of complexity with later ones. So that if you don't want to buy further books you still have a playable game.

the Jester

Legend
For me it is a simple financial issue. I can justify purchase of three core books and maybe the occasional supplement as time goes on, but having to buy multiple PHBs to keep up with the system is something I have no interest in (particularly if they spread traditional core material across several of them).

But how is this different than having, say, the samurai in Complete Warrior or the warlock in Complete Arcane? As long as all the rules are in the PH1, why must you buy the PH2 to be happy with your game?

But how is this different than having, say, the samurai in Complete Warrior or the warlock in Complete Arcane? As long as all the rules are in the PH1, why must you buy the PH2 to be happy with your game?

Because the whole premise of a phb2 or three is it will contain important core material, not just supplementary material. But I would go further and say they should tone it down with the complete books IMO as well. It makes it harder to run a game if all the players have phb 2 and 3 but you only have the first one. Keep in mind I don't play D&D any more really, I've moved onto to other games (typically games that have one or two required books), so for me to come back, I wouldn't be on board if they take the approach they took the last several years.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I would like to see multiple PHBs, but I would like to see them stand on their own, as opposed to building on the first one.

Basically how OA worked for 1st Edition, not like how Unearthed Arcana did. IIRC, Dragonlance Adventures worked the same way.

That way you could use them together, if you wish, but you didn't have to.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads