• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Number of Scrolls Carried

Kulstor

First Post
Likely a stupid question and I apologize for this, but I was wondering how many scrolls a wizard could likely carry to try to be sure to have a variety of spells handy for most situations. & later on wands, though those are to costly at the moment to buy.

Last edited:

Dross

Explorer
As long as the backpack or scroll case is large enough than as many scrolls and wands as they like.

They just need to be able to afford them and have time to get them. And with all those extra spells from non-core books there are likely to be gaps somewhere regardless.

Of more concern to me is how easy it will be for a caster to reach those items during battle as rummaging round in the backpack at this time could be a problem.

My solution to this is to have the player note which scrolls and wands are in combat ready locations and which are not. For instance Fireball should be easily reached, but Knock may be in the backpack until needed.

Kulstor

First Post
Thanks, I wasn't sure since my wizard character has a low strength and can't carry much so I got rid of all the 7 or so utility scrolls he had & decided not to buy or make the 4 I was going to have him make or buy since with his strength every pound counts and I had no idea of how many scrolls one could carry. All he has at the moment is a repair moderate damage and 5 repair light damage scrolls.

Vegepygmy

First Post
As far as encumbrance goes, scrolls have negligible weight.

Personally, I like to get my wizards a Heward's handy haversack as soon as possible. That helps with their typically low Strength and carrying capacity, and just makes it seem more plausible to me that they are carrying dozens upon dozens of scrolls around and can always seem to find the one they need.

DumbPaladin

First Post
It is. Heward's Handy Haversack costs 2,000 gold and always weighs 5 pounds, regardless of how much is in it -- it can hold a total of 120 pounds or 12 cubic feet of material.

IronWolf

blank
Personally, I like to get my wizards a Heward's handy haversack as soon as possible. That helps with their typically low Strength and carrying capacity, and just makes it seem more plausible to me that they are carrying dozens upon dozens of scrolls around and can always seem to find the one they need.

Definitely this. This is an early item for a lot of my characters for much the same reasons vegepygmy noted - keeping the weight down and making the number of things that end up getting carried around a little more plausible.

Kulstor

First Post
Thanks for the tips. I'll ask if the Heward's Handy Haversack is available in his Sharn campaign. If so I'll have to save up towards getting one.

Didn't know you could have more then 1 spell on a scroll, but that is handy to know also. I guess 1 spell inscribed on each side of a scroll.

Just got word back and it's not available to my character. What is available seems pretty restrictive. I guess since my char isn't a noble and doesn't have connections to a criminal organization or some dark organization like some of the other characters in the party does. Or maybe the item is only available for sale in the Greyhawk world which would likely take many planeshifts and travel time to get to from Ebberon. Likely tens of thousands of gold to pay a plane shifter & whatever sorts of transportation will be needed along the way.

I should start thinking if I want to be in the group or just quit. Seems pretty overly restrictive to me.

Last edited:

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
Just got word back and it's not available to my character. What is available seems pretty restrictive. I guess since my char isn't a noble and doesn't have connections to a criminal organization or some dark organization like some of the other characters in the party does.

I should start thinking if I want to be in the group or just quit. Seems pretty overly restrictive to me.

Before quitting it might be a good idea to ask the DM why he is restricting access to your character. Perhaps the DM is trying to encourage you to go out and develop those connections in-game? I play in a campaign run like that. If I want a Heward's Handy Haversack, I need to go out and find who has one and negotiate a price.

Remove ads