• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Number of spells on a scroll debate...ended

Stalker0

Legend
As far as I know, the question of whether you can put multiple spells on a scroll has never been conclusively answered. Well, I just noticed on pg. 204 of the DMG a table for determing the number of spells on a scroll.

I guess that ends the debate:)

Of course, if this has been noticed before, please kindly disregard:D

Petrosian

First Post
i always thought the debate was about whether you could put several spells on a scroll and count their total towards the per day gp limit versus whether you still had to count each spell on a scroll as the one a day thing.

IE the dabate always seemed to me to be whether you could make a scrol of three CLW spells in one day or if it took 3.

The answer i saw from skip at oe time said something like "since you could taer/cut a single scroll with 3 clw spells into 3 individual scrolls, they are for all intents and purposes 3 scrolls and thus three days."

that was a long time ago.

Last edited:

Maitre Du Donjon

First Post
Please, pleeeeeeeeeeeeease lets not start this again :)

Petrosian is right (about the source of the debate. I will not comment any further, since, like I said, I don't want this to start up again, not that it ever became unpleasant, but its basically the same thing every 2 weeks or so)

Maitre D

rhammer2

First Post
I have always played that each scrolled spell is a separate creation. It doesn't matter whether you put each one on a separate scroll or use a long scroll and put on multiple spells, creation time is the same (minimum of 1 day per spell).

Petrosian said:
i always thought the debate was about whether you could put several spells on a scroll and count their total towards the per day gp limit versus whether you still had to count each spell on a scroll as the one a day thing.

IE the dabate always seemed to me to be whether you could make a scrol of three CLW spells in one day or if it took 3.

The answer i saw from skip at oe time said something like "since you could taer/cut a single scroll with 3 clw spells into 3 individual scrolls, they are for all intents and purposes 3 scrolls and thus three days."

that was a long time ago.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
rhammer2 said:
I have always played that each scrolled spell is a separate creation. It doesn't matter whether you put each one on a separate scroll or use a long scroll and put on multiple spells, creation time is the same (minimum of 1 day per spell).
Yeah, that's one of the interpretations. The other way to rule is that the one-day minimum applies per scroll, not per spell.

The DMG does not clearly state which is correct. Hence the confusion. Hence the gazillion pages of pointless debate on the subject.

Antikinesis

First Post
Actually, there is an unsettled debate about the number of spells permissable on a single scroll. IIRC, the DMG treasure chart allows for up to 6 spells on a findable scroll. I don't recall there being any cap on the numbers of spells that can be scribed on a scroll (other than the limits imposed by available resources and/or time).

Unfortunately, the name of this thread notwithstanding, the debate rages on.

-AK

kreynolds

First Post
dcollins said:
It would certainly be easier for someone to find a single counterexample and prove me wrong.

Perhaps just as easy as it was to snip the smilies out of my post? ;) Anyways, you can count me out...it's a real mess back there! :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads