• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NWN Conversions of existing modules - big "No-No"

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Leopold said:

but remember there is a difference between IP and OGL/OGC. This is gonna be a disaster of epic proportion if WOTC does not act on this and tell us what is and what is not allowed to be redone, this is gonna end up being a mess and bot the fans and the publishers are going to feel the backlash on this.

WotC might act on it and issue a statement, but if they don't then no surprises there. Works just like everything else. If it is their property you cannot use it without their permission.

I say stick a copy of the OGL agreement in the files and be done with it. The game itself may not be fully d20 compatible (and what game willl?) but it can still abide by the rules that wotc has put out (and it has) and should be regulated like anything out...

this IS the first true test of the OGL folks, you are seeing history in the making here...

No good. The OGL/d20 does NOT cover software. NWN is not being released under either and files as such cannot include the document.

Morrus said:
I've seen around the net posts along the lines of "XXXX from Bioware said it was OK".

Bear in mind that Bioware CANNOT give you permission to use the IP of any compay other than Bioware. Bioware cannot tell you it's fine to distribute "Tomb of Horrors" or anything like that, any more than I can. Only WotC can do so.

Don't mistake "yes, it's technically possible with our toolset" for "yes, it's perfectly legal for you to do so". Unless the owner of the IP tells you specifically that you can do so, then you can't.

So the question now becomes, "What from Bioware can we cannibalize?" How do you look at the IE games and discern what belongs to Bioware and what belongs to Wizards? I can't believe that everything in BG2 belongs to Wizards just because it's D&D, since there's a lot of original content in there, artwork included. The Realms provided a solid base, but then the Bioware staff went nuts turning books and maps and supplements into something visual and real. Could one, say, recreate Bioware's 3D rendered representation of the city of Baldur's Gate, change names and NPCs and get away with it? Since I'm certainly not a lawyer, I have no idea -- how do you separate intellectual property in a situation like this?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm no lawyer - but Bioware produced those games under license. The IP remains with WotC, and they use it with permission. I doubt that their license allows them to sub-license anyone to use that IP but I could be wrong. I guess you'd need to ask them.

Luke

Explorer
Morrus said:
I'm no lawyer - but Bioware produced those games under license. The IP remains with WotC, and they use it with permission. I doubt that their license allows them to sub-license anyone to use that IP but I could be wrong. I guess you'd need to ask them.

In fact, Bioware switched publishers, after a slight legal tussle, and are now with Infogrames.

In a funny twist of fate (or perhaps through clever planning), Infogrames are the company that bought the D&D games rights from Hasbro, which is what killed the original MasterTools internet game strategy!

So, at least you know that something useful happened with the lost rights that torpedoed MasterTools. Bioware will probably be able to continue with new future work, under the Infogrames umbrella!!

In my view this isn't quite the best thing for pen-and-paper D&D. Like many, I'll really enjoy the NWN game, but it is still a game, which doesn't carry anywhere near the open flexibility of pen-and-paper imagination. Automated realtime games necessarily impose many, many restrictions on the full 3rd edition possibilities.

I remember the initial thrill all those years ago when Daggerfall came out. After a while though, all those impressive graphics and plots (good for it's day) had very much a sameness to it. It'll take a lot longer to start feeling the same way about NWN, but eventually (in it's current form), the sameness of the restricted mechanics will start to show...

Loric

First Post
This is from wizards customer service

We have published no specific policy. In general, we cannot provide permission to reproduce our copyrighted material in any format.

Adam Conus
Wizards of the Coast - Game Support Asst. Manager

Loric

Last edited:

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
Loric, if instead of buying RttToEE from Wizards in paper format you get a free copy someone produced in electronic format, then even though no one has made money from the electronic format, WotC has lost a potential sale. You do in fact harm WotC.

Loric

First Post
On the other hand...

Modules such as those could serve an an introduction to, or at least exposure for, the ESD program WOTC has going. Additionally, I would fully support the selling of these modules by an interested party who had WOTC permission to produce and market these things. I can however see your point.

Loric

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Dinkeldog said:
Loric, if instead of buying RttToEE from Wizards in paper format you get a free copy someone produced in electronic format, then even though no one has made money from the electronic format, WotC has lost a potential sale. You do in fact harm WotC.

selling it online and making a profit and selling the book are 2 different areas. Playing it online is one thing. Playing it in RL is another..this is just another mess that is going to hurt the gamers in the end as they are going to get frustrated and angry.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Re: This is from wizards customer service

Loric said:

Loric

Copyright laws (regardless of how confusing they are) still apply even if ya don't make money off the product. WotC might/might not support NWN, I have no idea. Guess we shall see though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads