• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NWN - Crates and Barrells (Scrounging and Thieving)

Laslo Tremaine

Explorer
I'm about 2/3 of the way through the solo game and having a pretty good time.
Most of the changes that they have made to the 3e ruleset I find to be pretty acceptable, and understandable. Combat and gameplay are pretty fun and interesting.

But I have one major gripe...

What I can't stand is all of the boxes, crates, barrels, chests, desks, armoires and chests of drawers that have random treasure in them. When I am wandering around the city in chapter 1, I feel obligated to look in each and every one of these just incase I find a potion or some such. It does not make me feel like a mighty hero, it makes me feel like a bum who's going dumpster diving (and man you would not believe what these people leave lying about!). Worse yet, they put these things in temples, taverns and houses, so now I feel like a common, petty thief (and I'm not even playing a rogue!). My biggest gripe is that it seems that the game is ballanced with the assumption that you will be opening each and every one of these conatiners (without the various potions that I have found, the game would be much, much more difficult).

Who was the designer who though this would be fun?!?!

How many people, when playing the solo game, ignore these things in favor of roleplaying (my Paladin of Tyr would NEVER stoop to scrounging and thieving!)... I wish I could, but I just can't say no! I need a 12 step program to help me stop the insanity!

Lazybones

Adventurer
Just ignore them (step away from the barrel, sir Knight...). Even in the first chapter you soon reach a point where you can pretty much buy all the potions you need. Sure, it's a trade off in terms of power, but it sounds like this is really annoying you. I check all the containers in dungeons, etc, but ever since leaving the first area or so in the city I've pretty much ignored the ones on the city streets, in homes, etc.

KnowTheToe

First Post
I also hate checking the crates/barrels and chest in a town. I feel I have to because I don't want to misss a clue. If someone who has finished or almost finished the game will let me know if I can skip the containers in towns and house, I will gladly do so. It slows down the game and damages my opinion of my character.

faete

Explorer
MINOR SPOILER...

There are a few points where it is required to go diving through chests for clues, though these are somewhat rare and pretty apparent. looting corpses is another matter entirely.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Matthew The Mage said:
My rogue has no problem taking everyting in sight that he can get his little hands on.

Reminds me of a quote from the rogue in my D&D game.

"If it isn't nailed down, it's mine. If it can be pried loose, it isn't nailed down."

Remove ads