WOIN (O.L.D.) Monster generation and creature types confusion

Belisarion

Explorer
I have severe problems wrapping my head around the Monster Creation process in O.L.D.

Point 2 says:
2. Assign skill ranks based on creature type according
to guidelines.​

Later under CLASSIFICATION the following is mentioned:
The qualities below are listed briefly, but see the rulebooks for longer explanations of creature types and qualities.
But there are no skill ranks mentioned and I have no clue which "rulebooks" are referred to.
Neither N.E.W. nor N.O.W. mentions something in this regard, but the monster creation process of both differ from O.L.D.

Now I have no idea which MDP, how many Attribute Points, Skill Ranks and exploits to assign to the monster. Am I missing something?
Should I rather use the creation process in N.E.W. or N.O.W. and just the classifications of O.L.D. (which is the only one with the undead classification for instance)?

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I have severe problems wrapping my head around the Monster Creation process in O.L.D.

Point 2 says:

Later under CLASSIFICATION the following is mentioned:

But there are no skill ranks mentioned and I have no clue which "rulebooks" are referred to.
Neither N.E.W. nor N.O.W. mentions something in this regard, but the monster creation process of both differ from O.L.D.

Now I have no idea which MDP, how many Attribute Points, Skill Ranks and exploits to assign to the monster. Am I missing something?
Should I rather use the creation process in N.E.W. or N.O.W. and just the classifications of O.L.D. (which is the only one with the undead classification for instance)?
It's been a long time since I've looked at those rules in OLD and I'm having trouble locating the text you're quoting. Could you give me some page numbers? I can't find anything like a 'Point 2' or a heading like 'Classification'.

Belisarion

Explorer
It's been a long time since I've looked at those rules in OLD and I'm having trouble locating the text you're quoting. Could you give me some page numbers? I can't find anything like a 'Point 2' or a heading like 'Classification'.
Okay, very big, big shame on me and big apology! I didn't notice that I was reading the old v1.1 all the while and when I looked at my v1.2 I saw everything was exactly as you said. Had been some time since the Starter Box Kickstarter reignited my love for WOIN and I delved into the material again.

Belisarion

Explorer
Looking forward to my v1.3 print books, of those I don't have any older print versions so I will be safe!
I wish I could make this embarrassing thread of mine disappear!😅

Remove ads