• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OA] Armor Question

whatisitgoodfor

First Post
I hope I'm misunderstanding this. The OA book says that the armor bonus for a Dastana and or a Chahar-Aina stacks with your existing armor bonus from a shield and/or armor in the same way that the shield stacks with the armor.

Does this mean that a character with a +5 chain shirt, a +5 darkwood large shield, a +5 dastana, and a +5 chahar-aina would have an armor bonus to AC of +28?

I certainly hope that I'm misunderstanding somewhere. If not, I know what my next character is going to wear. ;)

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
That's how I think it works, although I hope I'm wrong.

I've been toying with taking either tha maximum or minimum enhancement bonus and counting it. Any thoughts?

Alejandro

First Post
Our house rules makes armor bonuses and shield bonuses distinct. Thus, since shields, kappa shells, dastana, and charhar-aina all give shield bonuses in our campaign, warriors usually only wear the one they like best.

zorlag

First Post
zorlag

I simply consider dastana and chahar-aina addional "shields" which stack with normal shield. However, any enhancements on these armour additions don't stack with shield enhancement bonuses (only highest one applies).

Z.

Macbrea

First Post
That is how its suppose to work but you will notice the value of that armor is +100,000 gps in enchantments alone. Assuming that your GM is remotely staying close to the gp/level suggested guideline. You probably will be around 14th to 15th level when you get that +28 AC. Now, granted you won't be hit very often but your DM will just start hitting you with the obvious things. Hold person/Dominate person/Ice Storm/Wail of the banshee.....ect.

AC is nice but it isn't everything.

Fenrir

First Post
The way I see it, dastana and chahar-aina (sorry if that's spelled wrong, I've forgotten) do indeed stack with shields, but I only allow the wearer to use one of the two- you either have dastana, or you have chahar-aina. I think they were included in the first place to compensate for the lack of truly tank-like armor in OA. In campaign terms, the availability of either equipment is limited. Rokugan, for example, is supposed to not have either of the items, though I think I'd allow it.

I've even heard of some DM's who adapt them to fit occidental campaigns. It's an individual call. Ask your DM.

Remove ads