• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OA] Iaijutsu Master feat

Symmetry

Explorer
The Iaijutsu Master feat from OA lets you (amongst other things) make a skill check with your Iaijutsu Focus modifier instead of your regular check modifier once per day. As far as I can tell, all uses of the Craft skill (including making masterwork items) are untrained.

One of my players wants to use this feat/skill combination to make masterwork weapons and armor using his Iaijutsu Focus modifier instead of a regular Craft check since one's progress in crafting an item is determined by no more than one check per day (and he's not doing anything else in the downtime). Is this tactic allowed?

It seems strange that one feat effectively eliminates the need for all craft skills. The only thing I have come up with is to say that the weekly or daily craft check really represents many checks over the course of the day, so you can't replace it with an ability that only works once per day. This explanation seems fairly artificial, though, and I would like to avoid using it if possible. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to whether it should or shouldn't be allowed?

Mr Fidgit

First Post
welcome to the boards :D
Symmetry said:
the weekly or daily craft check really represents many checks over the course of the day, so you can't replace it with an ability that only works once per day.
i would also use this explanation. there's no way i'd let a PC use an Iaijutsu Focus check as a Craft check (or Profession, for that matter)

(and i checked the OA errata and D&D FAQ, there's no mention of using the skill in this way...)

jlhorner1974

First Post
Yes, that is exactly what I'd tell the player.

Your job as a DM is to maintain game balance, and this PC is obviously trying to abuse the rule in a way it wasn't intended.

Remember too, that skills that cannot be used untrained cannot have their modifier replaced by Iaijutsu Focus since you can't use the skill in the first place (you don't even get a roll, so there is nothing to replace).

Craft, though can be used untrained.

If this player were in my game, I would tell him that Iaijustu Focus would be usable on skill checks whose actions resolve in a relatively short time frame (no more than a few minutes).

Things like Craft (making items) or Profession (making money from a certain skill) or Perform (making a living as a performer) would be out.

I would allow Iaijutsu Focus for making a single Perform check, for example, if it doesn't require a sustained effort.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads