• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E OA Pathfinder

Ares

First Post
I would like to hear the thoughts of the gaming community on converting OA classes to Pathfinder. The Wujen is of particular interest.

Thoughts?

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Its not Open Content

While developing my commercial oriental setting - Kaidan: a Japanese Ghost Story setting - for Pathfinder, I contacted Jim Buhlman and he verified that Oriental Adventures is not Open Content, the same is true for Rokugan D20, so copyright prevents that from occurring. That's why I've been developing a distinctly Japanese based setting from the ground up.

Besides, no such thing as a Wu Jen, not really - I've gone the route of Onmyoji Wizards and Jugondo Sorcerers for Japan based arcane spell casters, Wu Jen is closer to a chinese idea, though completely fictional. I really wish Gary Gygax would have introduced Onmyoji as a spellcaster, and not invented Wu Jen just to get a spellcaster into his setting.

GP

Nellisir

Hero
While developing my commercial oriental setting - Kaidan: a Japanese Ghost Story setting - for Pathfinder, I contacted Jim Buhlman and he verified that Oriental Adventures is not Open Content, the same is true for Rokugan D20, so copyright prevents that from occurring. That's why I've been developing a distinctly Japanese based setting from the ground up.

Which parts of Rokugan d20, exactly? They have several new classes in the Rokugan (not OA) hardcover, plus a large amount of other stuff. I understand the IP being closed (never thought otherwise), but I'm certain Rokugan d20 does include an OGL and declaration of OGC.

lightgun_suicide

First Post
I would like to hear the thoughts of the gaming community on converting OA classes to Pathfinder. The Wujen is of particular interest.

Thoughts?

I don't own the 3/.5 OA sourcebook unfortunately, but I am considering getting hold of it for Pathfinder use. Hopefully it won't be a lost cause.

Post any conversions you make, it may be useful for myself when I do get hold of it.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
This is definitely something on the middle-future horizon as an official release from Paizo. It's not officially on a schedule yet, and no work has been done on it, but we've certainly discussed it plenty and have lots of ideas ready when the "get to work" bell chimes Midnight.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
this is definitely something on the middle-future horizon as an official release from paizo. It's not officially on a schedule yet, and no work has been done on it, but we've certainly discussed it plenty and have lots of ideas ready when the "get to work" bell chimes midnight.

*ding!*

;)

Qwillion

First Post
Yes the game mechanics of d20 Rokugon are OGC, but you have to be careful because they integrated thier mechanics and their IP so closely by including IP names as part of spells and abilities (they do a poor job of declaring what was IP and what is OGC).

I do highly recomend Gamerprinters series of Oriental Horror for the PFRPG

Nellisir

Hero
Yes the game mechanics of d20 Rokugon are OGC, but you have to be careful because they integrated thier mechanics and their IP so closely by including IP names as part of spells and abilities (they do a poor job of declaring what was IP and what is OGC).
Having pulled most of the void rules from most of the Rokugan products, I have to say I encountered no significant difficulty understanding the difference between their IP and OGC. Furthermore, they include a license to use certain IP in certain contexts.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads