• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Oath of Poverty

Memnoch3434

First Post
In a rather interesting game (where the DM changes by the room). I took an oath of poverty (as a monk). I assume using someone else's healing potions break the vow and count as "borrowing?"

frankthedm

First Post
Potions are a middle of the road thing. the text on VOP leaves some wiggle room...

VOP said:
though you can benefit from magic items used on your behalf —you can drink a potion of cure serious wounds a friend gives you,

So if someone else uses the potion on you, you don't violate the oath. Someone MIGHT try to also argue that line lets you use the potion on yourself IF you were given the potion.

Last edited:

Greenfield

Adventurer
I could see it a couple of ways.

1) You're using a potion that someone gives you. That's specifically allowed. Keeping it for later? Not so much.
2) You're "borrowing" the potion for immediate use, thus incurring a debt that has to be repaid, and essentially making yourself poorer. That seems okay as well, so long as you actually try to repay the debt.

In neither case could/should you be allowed to keep the potion for later.

Taking a different tack, I could see someone asking you to keep a potion in reserve, to be used on them if they go down. So long as those were the terms, making it clear that this was not your potion to use as you would but rather that you were accepting an obligation to help the potion's owner, I'd see that as being okay as well.

If you took that potion yourself, in an emergency situation, it would be stealing, a decidedly un-Lawful act. Bad thing for a Monk to do.

But then, this is just my opinion, and a poorly informed one at that.

I agree wholeheartedly with Greenfield, provided that you do not keep the potion for days on end. It's the same as walking with your share of a treasure you just looted from a dungeon. As long as you get rid of it at your earliest convenience (i.e. next town you visit), it would be a bad move on the DMs part to punish you for it.

(If you dawdle, I would let you know you start feeling remorseful that you have this treasure instead of the needy before I would mark you for it.)

Remove ads