• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Oathbound Questions

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
I bought the Wildwood PDF some time ago, and skimmed it. From what I read in it, it sounds like an intriguing setting. Nevertheless, I have some questions before committing to it further:

Since the rulers of the domains draw powerful characters into their world, won't that lead to the "Ravenloft Syndrome"? That is to say, the player characters spending all their time looking for an exit instead of getting involved with this new world?

How did you deal with this issue? The simplest solution (to me) would seem to simply create new characters specifically for this campaign, but for those of you who used existing characters, what was their reaction?

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
The difference between Oathbound and Ravenloft is that in Oathbound, a character gets more powerful, rather than hindered. My players hated Ravenloft (in 2E) because suddenly many of their abilities were nerfed. In Oathbound, my players enjoyed it because their power level was turned up (albeit only slightly).

Also, Oathbound is pretty much designed for adventurers. The whole point is to gain power, rather than Ravenloft were the point is to survive.

Crothian

First Post
At first the characters did look for an exit. But the game afvanced and plots unfolded that involved them in Oathbound. They never fully gave up trying to get back but that became something they looked for as they investigated and explored elsewhere.

THe setting is more of a can do then can not of Ravenloft.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
DaveMage said:
The difference between Oathbound and Ravenloft is that in Oathbound, a character gets more powerful, rather than hindered. My players hated Ravenloft (in 2E) because suddenly many of their abilities were nerfed. In Oathbound, my players enjoyed it because their power level was turned up (albeit only slightly).

But what of the people they left behind in their world? Didn't any of them have any connections to their former homes that they regretted leaving behind?

Crothian

First Post
Jürgen Hubert said:
But what of the people they left behind in their world? Didn't any of them have any connections to their former homes that they regretted leaving behind?

Of course, but it's not like they can just open a door and get back. Oathbound is filled with people that try to leave but they never do.

Voadam

Legend
I started my Wildwood pbp game at 1st level with options for natives or seeds, so player's designed their backgrounds with metagame knowledge they were going to be in Wildwood. All of them chose seeds and some look for a way out but seem to quickly deal with the land as is and adapt quickly.

Natives are a perfectly reasonable way to play an Oathbound or Ravenloft game and avoid the "desperately trying to get out" syndrome. Still want mixed setting wierdness? They can be descendants of seeds from other worlds so you can have your Scarred Lands Charduni dwarves next to Eberron Shifters who adventure with Dragonlance kender and FR genasi as third generation or so natives.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
another part of the setting is that you feel more alive and "real" there than back home. I believe in the main setting, it mentions that those few who have returned tend to become depressed by the "flatness" of the world they returned to.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Crothian said:
Of course, but it's not like they can just open a door and get back. Oathbound is filled with people that try to leave but they never do.

And what about the players? Did they resent the change of scenery?

Or did you discuss this with them before the event?

Voadam

Legend
The only time I've played in Oathbound it has been knowing it was going to be an Oathbound game and not a "Surprise! You're now sucked out of your established world after years of playing there" type of game.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Jürgen Hubert said:

[Joined]

And what about the players? Did they resent the change of scenery?

Or did you discuss this with them before the event?

My players love to plane-hop and explore so they didn't resent it at all. I did not discuss it with them before we played.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads