• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Oathbreaker 7, Then Where?

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Originally I was going to be a Blade'lock, as I'm to be the main striker, I didn't want to go Fighter and they have similar DPR when unoptimized. But then I saw that the Oathbreaker gets everything that makes a Blade'lock special (Thirsting Blade, meet Extra Attack. Lifedrinker, meet Aura of Hate), plus minions. So now I'm going to be an Oathbreaker for the first 7 levels. The question is, where then?

I could go Sorcerer 5, pick up Haste every encounter, putting me ahead of the basic Fighter, or I could go Eogue for some skills and Sneak Attack damage.

I'll be Finesse Sword 'n' Board so there's that to take into account.

Nachti

First Post
Why not go full oathbreaker?

- You get a scaled undead companion (control undead CR lesser then paladin level: ghouls, ghasts, banshee, zombie beholder,...)
- Dread Lord gives most enemies disadvantage, damages all feared enemies and gives you a bonus attack for 3d10
Most...or all Smite spells are concentration, which means you cant smite and have haste cast by yourself.
- At 15 you get resistance vs weapons

You could go for warlock. Thirsting Blade for another +5 dmg and Devils Sight for fighting within darkness, but i dont think its worth it.

xynthoros

First Post
Depends on whether the features you would gain at level 8 from the new class equals or exceeds the benefit you would gain from the additional level of paladin. I would go rogue for the full blackguard feel. I miss sneak attack on a blackguard, and if you go assassin, you get poison stuff too. I don't know how often you will be getting surprise, but auto-critting like that is pretty fun.

With only seven levels as oathbreaker you will be getting the ability to create identities and perfectly mimic other people's speach, writing and behavior, four skills with double proficiency, and 7d6 sneak attack. Uncanny dodge, evasion, and the ability to never get below a 10 on any skill in which you are trained. Cunning action, expertise, and Assassinate alone can make a three level dip into rogue worth it, then 10 levels of warlock gets you 5th level spells and the 10th level pact ability.

Personally IMHO, feats/ability ups get a bit overrated.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads