OB Ring stuff

ediz

Explorer
Hi my party has uncovered the OB ring code(more that there is a code not what the code is)...

Question is, how difficult of a Perception check should it be to see that there is an engraving on the rings and that you could read it.

Another question... Would Verbelak and Boone have rings at Keskay or would they get them after Cherage or do they never get them?

Thanks!

efreund

Explorer
My understanding is that the engraving was on the inside band of the ring. Meaning, it would be impossible to see if the ring was being worn. If the ring is off, I didn't get the impression that it was "hidden" or needed any shenanigans to be able to see it (e.g. Gandalf doesn't have to throw it in the fire). You can just read it. I wouldn't bring dice rolls (like Perception checks) into it. Get the ring off, read the inscription.

Verzubak and Boone are not trusted by any high-tier members of the conspiracy. They are subcontractors, fully managed by Bree. (Yay compartmentalization!) They're only with the conspiracy for a week; not worth the hassle to forge a ring for them. (Also, Boone would totally fail the background check if Bree tried to bring him on as a full-timer. :p)

mdusty

Explorer
I know the adventure says the bands are written on the inside of the ring, but I run it as if they are written on the outside. I felt like the ring code was too important for the PCs to miss it. And my PCs at least would never think about taking someone's ring off if they don't kill them first. But even though they've read every single NPC obscurati's ring up to the end of book 4, they still haven't connected that the rings are important - unless its a gold ring. They do ask if every. single. NPC. has a gold ring.

Aleithilithos

First Post
There is actually a Perception check to notice that Caius Bergeron's ring has an inscription when searching his body in module 3:
'Among his clothes, he wears a gold ring on his right pinky. A shallow inscription on the interior can just be made out; it reads, “Old Bergeron Gold.” (Perception DC 23)' (p247)

One of my PCs made the check and then I had the more detail-orientated one remember that there was mention of an inscription on Macbannin's ring in a report; they went and looked up the inscription on that when they went back to headquarters.

Remove ads