D&D 4E Obligatory dump stats in 4e: the irrelevance of Intelligence

Same for CHA, if you don't intend on taking social skills (although it is 4 skills not three) no use to some classes. And Wisdom if you don't want those four skills tied to it. So if you take out the Defences bonus (which is tied to 2 abilities) and class power & skills (which applies only to the class NOT all characters) reasons for choosing an ability only the three physical skills are useful to everyone:
STR: basic melee/heavy thrown attack and damage. carrying capacity.
CON: Hit points. Healing Surges.
DEX: Basic ranged/light thrown attack (and damage? don't have the books). Initiative.
INT: zip
WIS: nada
CHA: zilch

For this reason I would be happy to dump 2 of the three mental abilities; you need one of CHA/WIS high for Will defence.

Felon

First Post
Spatula said:
Dex really isn't a better stat than Int if you have no particular need for either. Rogues & Rangers obviously prefer Dex. Melee characters using blades will prefer Dex. But if you're a melee character using anything else (axes, maces, polearms, picks, flails, etc.), either stat is equally good to you.
Dexterity provides a general benefit in the form of an initiative modifier. Intelligence doesn't.

Destil

Explorer
There's almost NO general stat bonuses in 4E, except for con. If you class can't use it and you don't need it for a feat then the only reason to have a stat is to increase your defense or skills.

This is very different from 3E where about 1/2 the stats had general uses.

The only exceptions are Con for HP & healing surges / day and str for encumbrance... bag of holding and handy harvest sack are still in, so Str is basically irrelevant too. Initiative is just a skill in my book...

I wish they had just made a feat that let you get extra healing surges based on Con, increased the default by 2-3 per class and done away with all of 'em, myself.

osmanb

First Post
In addition, re: (Dex vs Int), for a character that has no compelling reason to take one or the other, I think Stealth is a very good reason to favor Dex. Even if you're not trying to be a sneaky character, the person with the lowest stealth drags the whole party down, so (everything else being equal) it makes sense for EVERYONE to be better at it.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Spatula said:
Ah, true, I forgot about initiative.

By 10th level, you're getting a +5 base to Init. By 20th level, its a +10. I don't see Dex really being that important based on Initiative for PCs who aren't built around it.

Int is just as good for Fighters as Dex.

Felon

First Post
ThirdWizard said:
By 10th level, you're getting a +5 base to Init. By 20th level, its a +10. I don't see Dex really being that important based on Initiative for PCs who aren't built around it.

Int is just as good for Fighters as Dex.
What's the fighter doing with his Int bonus?

Gaining a bonus to something you use routinely versus a bonus to something you never use is a pretty simple logic problem.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Felon said:
What's the fighter doing with his Int bonus?

Gaining a bonus to something you use routinely versus a bonus to something you never use is a pretty simple logic problem.

Increasing his AC if he uses light armor and increasing his Reflex Defense. He uses his Strength for ranged attacks, so no need for Dexterity there. I'm curious what Dexterity is useful for in a Fighter that Intelligence is not.

Spatula

Explorer
ThirdWizard said:
Increasing his AC if he uses light armor and increasing his Reflex Defense. He uses his Strength for ranged attacks, so no need for Dexterity there. I'm curious what Dexterity is useful for in a Fighter that Intelligence is not.
...Initiative. Getting to go first in combat is a big benefit.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Spatula said:
...Initiative. Getting to go first in combat is a big benefit.

You add half your level to Initiative. Is +5 vs. +7 at level 10 that important to people?

If I want to play an intelligent fighter, who perhaps picks up History and Religion, it just isn't that big a deal. I will not feel gimped next to the fighter with the 14 Dex and 10 Int next to my 10 Dex and 14 Int.

Remove ads