• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Obtaining permanent spell resistance

Jack Simth

First Post
Thanks for all the advice guys/gals. You've convinced me that I no longer want, or ever particularly want, a form of Spell Resistance. As the current "designated archer" for the party I'll take your comments re: readied actions to heart (next purchase: MW strength rated composite bow). That seems to be "my" job more than any other party member's. At least until I can get Dispel Magic, which should only be around Christmas time or so if we keep up the current pace. My character also has a "strong" Tumble skill as a relic of Warblade levels, so access to casters for grappling/melee should work wonders. I think I'll continue character development with "anti-caster" tactics in mind. It even fits my character's background...can't think why I didn't think of it myself. Thanks, again!
Glad to help. Be warned, though:

Do not invest permanent resources (Feats, class levels) into grappling. Yes, I know this sounds strange with the suggestions I just gave, but there's a reason for it: See, in just a few more levels, a Ring of Freedom of Movement is a quite reasonable thing for your opponents to have - at which point, grappling will be quite useless. For that matter, right now it's quite feasible for your opponents to have, say, Anklets of Translocation (Magic Item Compendium: Swift-action ten-foot teleport, requires line-of-effect and line-of-sight, 2/day, a steal at 1,400 gp - you don't want to ask about buying them unless he uses them first, however, as that would draw his attention to them) - which is (in combat) a very cheap way to get out of a grapple (Leave grapple as a swift action, move away as a Move action, and then blast you as a standard action ... and now you can only attack him once, likely needing a charge to do so).
Re: DM and his tactics.
It's a relatively new campaign, after the last one wound up around level 15 or so. During that campaign, the current DM was basically our party tactician and was bloody good at working out positioning and sequencing. I should've realised that he would do the same thing when playing for the other team. Must...play...smarter!
Heh. Oh yes, and when he's on the other side of the screen, he's got an advantage he didn't have before: He can control the terrain, not just the actions of his set pieces.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads