Oceania 2084 draft- Orwellian dystopia - Looking for feedback

My one concern is that Orwell is in copyright for another couple decades in the US, which could significantly crimp sales. Do you have a plan for that?
The thing is I knew that when I started developing, and since I am Europe based I will only sell and market in areas where it already is public domain. But that said, there will be a crowdfunding campaign that will have one goal that would be paying for licensing in the US.

JAMUMU

actually dracula
Honestly, for me the lifts straight from Orwell are the most jarring thing about your mock-ups. I like everything else about the project, but playing in the actual world of 1984 seems to be a somewhat ridiculous and pointless notion given the last page of the novel itself.

Honestly, for me the lifts straight from Orwell are the most jarring thing about your mock-ups. I like everything else about the project, but playing in the actual world of 1984 seems to be a somewhat ridiculous and pointless notion given the last page of the novel itself.
I guess in that case the proof is in the proverbial pudding :)
In what way are they jarring?

Ok, so a little update is in order! The Oceania 2084 project has continued. The rule system has been released since December. Contact with the printer and work on the design of the book has begun. The plan is that Oceania 2084 will be on Kickstarter now in March! I am preparing the last parts for the launch.

I have also released an expansion that is solo-rules for the game.

Soon I can post some design updates.
soon on kickstarter.jpg

Some additional details, in particular the protected status of Big Brother.

I have been in contact with a copyright lawyer about this and in essence since the game is produced in the EU there should be no issue with this. But, it could be the case that there would need to be another edition that would be targeted specifically to the US market. And I want to thank you for bringing it up.

Since the launch 11 days ago a lot has happened. The game has received 21% of its funding. I have recorded and published a designer's talk, I have held a presentation at a student's union, I have been interviewed two times, gotten a bad review, and so much work has gone into promotion and putting it on people's radars.

The designer's talk:

Would love to hear your reflections and thoughts on it!

The one already published interview:

The other interview is currently being edited by the creator, No Dice Unrolled, an Italian podcast.

The Bad Review was from "Grim Jim", and I actually find it a fairly honest and good review, he is clear that he subjectively doesn't like it, and we all know that everyone feels differently about design:

The presentation held at the student union was not recorded, but I am re-recording it to publish it on my YouTube channel.
I hope you'll join me on this journey and back the game! If it is too expensive, remember that it is available for free on itch.io.

Oceania 2084 is on Kickstarter! Pledge to secure your copy of the exclusive hardcover print of the "Surplus Edition", beautifully illustrated by Mika Edström (https://www.artstation.com/mikaedstrom).
👉 Support the game on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jochergames/oceania-2084-the-orwellian-ttrpg

The already released version, "Austere Edition" is yours for free – complete with rules but sans fancy formatting or illustrations. Download it now as a pay-what-you-want PDF and dive into the intrigue of Oceania 2084!
👉 Check out the free version today: Oceania 2084 - the orwellian TTRPG by Jocher Symbolic Systems
Join the resistance. Rewrite history. Explore Oceania 2084 now!

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
The Bad Review was from "Grim Jim", and I actually find it a fairly honest and good review, he is clear that he subjectively doesn't like it, and we all know that everyone feels differently about design:
I knew him for a while in the ‘90s and have seen his work since, and…I wouldn’t necessarily take his praise as a sign you’d done something wrong. But I absolutely don’t take his criticism as a sign you’ve done anything wrong.

Remove ads