• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ochre Jelly

happybandit

First Post
I know this is a very basic question, but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. When the Ochre Jelly is bloodied, it splits. What size are the two halves? The Jelly as a whole is a large (2x2) creature. Would the halves both be 2x2s? I could see them being 1x2s, but I don't think that exists.

No, there isn't a 1x2 size. Since there is nothing in the monster's text to suggest that the halves are different in any way from the original (except they have 1/2 its hit points) then presumably they are also large creatures.

I guess the final answer is they can be described as being "smaller" than the original, but they are still big enough to be large sized.

Of course if you WANT to make them medium sized, then by all means do so. It isn't really super significant in the grand scheme of things.

Mesh Hong

First Post
There seems to be no actual rules for it, but the system I use is that when a creature splits the new creatures are a size catagory smaller.

In this case a large sized ooze splits into 2 medium sized oozes.

As AbdulAlhazred says though, there is nothing stopping you keeping the new oozes at large size, other than the looks on your players faces as they see the ooze appear to double in size (from foot print area) :confused:

cpendlet

First Post
I always envisioned the ooze to basically get thinner when it splits as opposed to significant loss of diameter). Say it starts out about 5 feet high and ends up about 2 1/2 feet high after a split.

All a matter of how you look at it :)

FurryFighter

First Post
basic gravity rules about a viscous liquid would say that if it has large size (2x2) while whole, than that means its height as high as its base of 2x2 can optimally support with all those physics rules on liquids. so if it splits, its height will drop to half, as its mass drops to half for each piece, since it no longer has the thickness on either half to hold up that much more material that high in the air, so it will slosh down and out.

Jhaelen

First Post
I know this is a very basic question, but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. When the Ochre Jelly is bloodied, it splits. What size are the two halves?
RAW don't give an answer. Lacking evidence to the contrary I'd say all of the ochre jellies are identical in size to the original. This is consistent with the way things were in 3E.

Oozes in 3E could split an unlimited number of times. Trying to explain this with real world science is destined to fail.

Last edited:

Beckett

Explorer
A few sets ago, WotC put out medium ochre jelly miniatures. So, when I have one that splits, I stick two of those on the table and I'm set.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads