October 2016 Sage Advice & PHB Errata

Spiked armor is worn, thus you can't duel wield with it. When I first read this my mind automatically replaced duel with dual, so I thought that there was actually a rules clarification stating that you cannot wear two sets of armour at the same time. But I guess a dwarf does it in Boarmurdered so you can't argue that there isn't precedence for it. This is another instance where all of...

Spiked armor is worn, thus you can't duel wield with it.

When I first read this my mind automatically replaced duel with dual, so I thought that there was actually a rules clarification stating that you cannot wear two sets of armour at the same time. But I guess a dwarf does it in Boarmurdered so you can't argue that there isn't precedence for it.

This is another instance where all of these rulings conform to my current understanding of the rules so no shockers for me.

We never established what class Zod is, did we? For all we know, he's a cleric, and could have Create food and Water prepared. He'll be very angry, but he wouldn't be starved.

Realistically speaking, if he's a high-level spellcaster, he will have already Banished himself back home or done something even better. It's implicit in the scenario that General Zod is just a brick: supernaturally tough but not supernaturally versatile.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
If you really wanted to imprison him forever, then you would probably have to do something like cast, I dunno... imprisonment? From within the demiplane, so that it isn't trivially dispellable. And then you put some common item that has some distinguishing features in the room. And then sequester it. And modify memory yourself so you don't remember what the distinguishing mark is. And you probably have a simulacrum cast the demiplane so you can destroy him afterwards and then no caster remains who can go straight to it. And you'd have to do it all within a private sanctum so no one watched you while you did it. And even THEN, someone could probably still find the place by asking a sufficiently interested deity. And someone might be able to true resurrect the simulacrum, because techincally they're a creature... but can they be resurrected if you've created another simulacrum since then?

Seems like it might be better just to let a barghest eat them and then hang on to the barghest for 24 hours.

If you really wanted to imprison him forever, then you would probably have to do something like cast, I dunno... imprisonment? From within the demiplane, so that it isn't trivially dispellable. And then you put some common item that has some distinguishing features in the room. And then sequester it. And modify memory yourself so you don't remember what the distinguishing mark is. And you probably have a simulacrum cast the demiplane so you can destroy him afterwards and then no caster remains who can go straight to it. And you'd have to do it all within a private sanctum so no one watched you while you did it. And even THEN, someone could probably still find the place by asking a sufficiently interested deity. And someone might be able to true resurrect the simulacrum, because techincally they're a creature... but can they be resurrected if you've created another simulacrum since then?

Seems like it might be better just to let a barghest eat them and then hang on to the barghest for 24 hours.

Eh. Imprisonment is overkill. I'd probably just True Polymorph him into a pebble, chuck the pebble in the ocean, and call it good enough.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Eh. Imprisonment is overkill. I'd probably just True Polymorph him into a pebble, chuck the pebble in the ocean, and call it good enough.

Mainly because if you DO go to great lengths to use lots of layers of magic and disinformation to seal someone away, you're just guaranteeing that the bad guy you will eventually encounter is powerful enough to overcome that.

Better to go with something relatively easy.

Better yet, make the form of imprisonment (just a word, not the spell) something that means the guy who releases them is weak to your strengths...

Remove ads

Remove ads