• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Oddest thing I've EVER seen in D and D

DonTadow

First Post
This last Sunday, I witnessed the single wierdest thing I've ever witnessed in a d and d game, and I've seen some duzies.

We're playing through the Red Hand of Doom and are fighting what the DM described as a "easy encounter". It was against a bunch of goblins, essentially a chapter intro encounter. There are five of us at the table.

We each take our innitiative and in succession we each roll a 1 almost as if the dice were in sync. It was just amazed. We nearly called it a session.

Anyone ever witnessed anything like this before. What are the odds?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
No, no, you don't understand. That's a good sign! The ones have been purged from your dice, thus allowing the rolls for the rest of the campaign to go smoothly! Truly, you are blessed (with two syllables) by the Probability Spirits.

Demiurge out.

Aeric

Explorer
Once while playing Mekton Zeta, a friend of mine rolled something like 326 on an open-ended d10 roll. He rolled nine or ten 10s in a row, plus whatever his skill modifer was.

In an old 2nd edition campaign, our 9th-10th level party was attacked by a marilith. Both the cleric and I (a paladin) acted before the demon. The cleric cast Hold Monster; the demon failed its save. I attacked with my Voral Sword; I rolled a 20. Dead demon.

Several years after that, I was playing in a (2nd ed.) Birthright campaign. My character was a 6th level Paladin with the Cavalier kit. In the final battle against the baddies, my character squared off against the Gorgon, mano a mano. He was astride his ancient green dragon mount, the largest of its kind. He was 20 HD; I have no clue what the dragon was. My paladin charged the dragon with his--nonmagical--lance, rolled a crit, and did something like 54 points of damage to the dragon. Back then, we used Death From Massive Damage rules, but it was 50 for everything, regardless of size. So the dragon had to make a Fortitude save or die. It failed the save. A 6th-level paladin one-shotted a large ancient green dragon. Of course, the Gorgon himself killed me, but I believe I got him down to something like 1/3 of his hit points. And the only magical equipment I had was a Holy Avenger--no rings, no magic armor, no nothing.

caudor

Adventurer
DonTadow said:
This last Sunday, I witnessed the single wierdest thing I've ever witnessed in a d and d game, and I've seen some duzies.

We're playing through the Red Hand of Doom and are fighting what the DM described as a "easy encounter". It was against a bunch of goblins, essentially a chapter intro encounter. There are five of us at the table.

We each take our innitiative and in succession we each roll a 1 almost as if the dice were in sync. It was just amazed. We nearly called it a session.

Anyone ever witnessed anything like this before. What are the odds?

Hehe...I'd be hunting for the dice bag :)

Zzyzx

First Post
demiurge1138 said:
No, no, you don't understand. That's a good sign! The ones have been purged from your dice, thus allowing the rolls for the rest of the campaign to go smoothly! Truly, you are blessed (with two syllables) by the Probability Spirits.

"Quoted for troof" as someone here likes to say.

GAAAHHH

First Post
I was running Deadlands once, and the bad guys were trying to hit the party. Now they needed 10's to hurt the cyborg, so I rolled to hit.

I rolled 8d10 15 times before I got a single 10.

Once a Fool

First Post
GAAAHHH said:
I rolled 8d10 15 times before I got a single 10.

9:10^120

(9:1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000)

Last edited:

Remove ads