• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Of Beads of Force and Wraiths

A Stray Cat

Villager
An interesting situation came up in the D&D5e game I was running last night. The party was confronted by a wraith. The quick-thinking warlock tossed a bead of force at the wraith, trapping it within a sphere. I wasn't sure whether the incorporeal creature could just ignore the sphere, moving and acting normally, or if upon a spectacular DEX save failure it was effectively neutralized for the duration of the bead's effect (one minute).

The block of text that sealed it for me (no pun intended) was, "Only breathable air can pass through the sphere's wall. No attack or other effect can." I ruled that the wraith was trapped for a minute. The party gathered up a chalice they had come to retrieve and left. They're not out of the woods quite yet, but the immediate confrontation with the wraith has been avoided.

What would you have ruled?

practicalm

Explorer
This had come in my group and since the wraith was on a river when they used bead of force on it, the wraith force bubble floated down the river. Made it much easier to deal with the second wraith.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads