Of Fey and Shadow - A Midnight story hour (Restored 14 May 2006)

Emiricol

Carith whistled as he gathered up his personal belongings from the battle field and the hawk, Whisper, flew over the trees to land upon his shoulder. He moved back over to the fire and set himself up against a tree, not far from Dornhild. After a moment of looking through his pack he produced a bottle of mead and, taking a long draught of the liquor, extended the bottle to offer some to Dornhild. "Here have a drink, fights the chill and aches that come from fighting orcs."

The Dornish man looked hesitantly at the strange woodsman, but in the end moved closer and accepted the bottle. "Tell me, what sort of man are you to be drawn here in defense of a place of the Fey, and who claims to have scouted the area by placing his hand upon a tree."

Carith reclaimed the bottle in a moment, and took another long drink. He stared into the fire a moment before answering. "I am a man marked by the Fey. Long ago I walked a dark path, but these woods helped me to see the light and have granted me a measure of their strength so I might find success in my quest." He took another drink from the bottle before pressing it into Dornhilds hands. "Just know that I am a friend of all who oppose the Shadow in the North, and that I seek weapons that will help me oppose his will. Weapons the elf may be able to help me with."[/color]

Dornhild nodded after a long, awkward pause. "Marked by Fey, eh? Then I am not surprised to hear you walked a path of darkness, for that is their nature if the tales of the village woman are to be believed. I don't trust you - but that's just my way. Few people can be relied upon in the pinch of battle. Perhaps you will prove to be one of those few." He looked into Carith's eyes and nodded after some consideration. "Aye, I expect you found the weapon you seek when you crossed paths with our group. Who wields it is another matter."

Carith sat silently then, just watching the fire for a few moments as he let his words and his liquor soften the grim Northman's fear of him. "Tell me, friend, my journy next takes me to a distinctive village, but I fear I do not know where it lies. You, being longer of this area than myself, may know better than I. Have you seen or heard of a village of Men built in the shadow of a massive butte of red rock?"

The Northman considered his next words very carefully. "I know of such a place. It lies north of the Eris Aman plains, some several days' journey out of the Veradeen. Getting out unnoticed is challenging. And then there's every scared, screaming villager who sees a weapon and runs right to the Legate, hoping his life will be spared."

Dornhild's jaw stood out beneath the beard, clenched hard. "My people are under the heel of Shadow, and any light is swiftly blown out."

"True words, very true words, but do not give in to despair," said Carith in earnest. "Just remember that as long as one man holds his head high and casts off the yoke placed upon him, the Shadow will never win utterly. They may be in control for now, but through the power of the Elves and the strength of Men we will prevail someday. You just must keep hope, keep it in your mind and in your heart."

Carith shook his head and sighed. After a few moments of silence had past between the two men he stood and gathered up his belongings. "We should make a camp somewhere not directly next to the fire. If nothing else it will smell better." Giving another whistle for his hawk he turned to walk off into the woods near the Glen.

Thrayn, returning from his healing of Rongald, walked into the light of the fire as Carith began to leave. "There is naught but fool's hope to the South. It is already the Shadow's land. We stay here for a fortnight. There are things I must do and we must watch for other bands of despoilers until it is clear that no others come." Thrayn went over to the horse and rummaged in one of the saddle-packs for one of the ration bundles.

Carith turned back as the elf came into the small camp."You know as well as I do that more orcs will come - maybe not within a fortnight, but they will come. If the legate who sent these orcs does not know they have failed by now he will soon, and he will send more. The trees have shown it to me, an army of orcs bearing his symbol, a raptors claw clutching a green orb, invading these woods and killing men and elves a like.

"But they have shown me something else as well, something I do not yet understand. A village of men that Dornhild tells me lies a few days travel east of the woods edge. A great battle takes place, and in the end of my vision the legate is there.

"As I said I do not know what these visions mean, but something must be done to help the poor souls living in the village I saw. Traveling out of the woods is dangerous, and confronting a legate would be near suicide, but we must do something."

Thrayn turned slowly to Carith. His face was so full of astonished rage that it seemed almost a mask. "What symbol did you say?" he hissed through clenched jaws.

"A raptor's claw clutching a green orb." Carith replied, somewhat taken aback.

Thrayn's hand went to the hilt of one of his fighting knives. His grip was so hard the leather thongs wrapping the handle squeaked. He took two menacing steps toward Carith and hissed again. "If you lie... I will see you planted among these trees you seem so infatuated with." He stormed back to the horse and snatched the leads from Rongald. Looking back to Carith he called out, "Lead the way, for we have a long way to go."

Emiricol

Thrayn, Carith, Dornhild and Rongald completed finally the task of disposing of the invaders' bodies, being sure to retrieve their tusks - two Oruk and ten Orc - as well as some 10 salvageable javelins and all six of their Vardaches. Being late, they encamped for the night not only because setting out in the morning would be far easier, but also in case other Orcs had trailed this first team. However, the night passed uneventfully, and in the morning Thrayn sat, clear eyed, as the others one by one awoke.

Dornhild shook the frost from his beard and grunted. The meaning of this particular grunt soon became clear as he prepared a breakfast that included some berries he had picked the eve before.

Once the camp was struck and signs of their passing covered well, they began the long journey.

Carith gathered up his belongs quickly and moved up to the front of the small party. He began to pick a trail through the woods, heading east towards the edge of the wood. Odd that a symbol of an orc clan long dead could invoke such ire in him. That Elf is certainly a strange man.

After nearly half an hour of walking Carith called back to the others, "Exiting the woods will be difficult, to say the least, and from there things only get worse. We should at least try and think of some sort of plan, unless you really want to fight your way through a battalion of orcs to get to this village."

After a short while it became clear that Carith was not as familiar with the Veradeen woods as Thrayn had hoped. Near the rear, leading the horse, Thrayn whispered to Bornhild, "You know this place he spoke of?" He nodded toward Carith carefully as he said this.

Bornhild looked uneasily at the elf, and said with trepidation, "Aye. I know it. It lies North from here. Quite near the Plains of Aris Aman in truth."

Thrayn shook his head. A long journey, and dangerous. The legate may well have been gone from there for some time by the time they arrived, but they wouldn't arrive at all if they continued South into the Caraheen. "The path we take will lead only to certain death. From here we turn North. We will remain in these woods for as long as we can before turning east to find this village. I am not willing to throw away my life for the sake of speeding toward it's end. You would do well to follow me."

"These are the woods of your birth master Elf, I am but a guest. Of course I will follow your lead."
, Carith said calmly. He stopped, then, and waited for the Elf and the other Men to pass him buy as they changed directions.

"We will have to be careful not to veer west or east by too much over the next few days, lest we be either delayed on our journey or risk exposure to the Orcs, respectively. It will be weeks and risky, regardless, so let us not tempt fates." Thrayn said this without implication, it seemed - just a statement.

Dornhild, leading the way, nodded but said nothing further. These Elves are not as deceiptful as the legends say. Either that or this particular Elf is just not so vile. That must be it. You don't just ignore generations of wisdom, Dornhild. Stay alert, even once he earns your trust. Dornhild nodded then, satisfied at the resolution he had come to in his simple, direct way, and quickened his pace.

-----------------------------

As they travelled north they made decent enough time, crossing some ten or so miles per day through the forest. They hunted regularly for rabbits as well as gathering fruits and berries as they went, the forest of the Fey providing food even as Winter dragged on. Occasionally, Thrayn would enter an Elven village alone to trade for rations, which saw them through those days when no amount of searching brought fresh food for the weary travelers. His trips were always quick, and he never spoke of the reasons to the Men he traveled with.

It was after two weeks of this that Dornhild one morning spoke again. This had become increasingly rare as they continued their journey, but Rongald assured Thrayn it was inconsequential. When Dornhild did finally speak, it was in his usual soft-spoken but deep voice, and brief as always. "We should turn east now. The Plains of Eris Aman will be well enough south of us when we reach the treeline for safe travel."

Rongald looked to Thrayn, and to Carith whom he had come to know and respect, if not fully understand, over the past two weeks. "Master Thrayn, the Norther speaks truth as best I can measure."

Dornhild nodded and continued, "We are but a week to tenday from the village from master Carith's vision."

Thrayn could not be certain but, felt that the Northman enjoyed the irony. A Human telling the Elf Sorcerer of a vision was not an everyday thing. Still, Dornhild gave no outward sign of this. Perhaps it was his imagination. Men are such confusing, frantic creatures. It is hard to even begin to understand one before they turn to dust. He shook his head free of such thoughts.

And so that day they turned East, travelling hard, and by the second evening of this they had come to within a day of the forest's edge. Into the disputed border region, the Green Line.

From here out, Orcs and worse raided into the woods constantly, just as Elf warbands raided outwards. It was a conflict that had gone on for two thousand years. Every Elf knew that such fighting had been raging since the first Orcs arrived in the northlands, of the Shunned Mother tribe - and they had been fighting the Orcs of that tribe ever since. Nothing drew the hatred of an Elf like an orc wearing tatoos of black bars across its eyes, cheeks and chest - the mark of a warrior of the Shunned Mothers.

Dornhild set about to hunt up whatever fresh food could be found while Rongald first cared for the packhorse, then lit a careful fire for cooking and heat through the cold night that was soon to fall upon them.

Thrayn had been restless since they had set off from the Glen. Who would have imagined that one Elf could have caused so much death in the lives of a deathless people. Thrayn bristled again at the thought. His skin itched with the urge to keep moving, but the Humans needed sleep. Oh, to be with others of his kind, but he carried the stigma of those deaths. It was hard not to be suspicious in these days when evil from legend roamed freely on the Earth. He had been there and he had lived. And not just once. How he longed to have died at their side. This cruel mockery, to live on, possibly forever, but never ridding myself of their voices, their faces, their cries...

Aggitated, he lept up from his seat, startling Rongald and Bornhild. "I...I need to be away from this fire, it strains my eyes in this dying light." He turned and walked into the dusk just out of sight of the camp. Sights of other fires, some years past, followed him.

Rongald watched Thrayn retreat from the gathering, expression inscrutable. Dornhild frowned, however, and muttered under his breath about the dangers of trusting Fey - particularly Elves.

-----------------------------

Carith had dropped his pack to the ground and was sitting down next to the fire, pulling his cloak tight and, with a whistle, he sent Whisper flying off into the woods. He gazed into the fire for several long moments before he spoke. "I am going to scout around. for the next hour or so I won't be responsive here as my mind will be elsewhere. Just leave me be and I will be fine when I return." After receiving a measured and cautious nod from Rongald, Carith set his head back against a tree, and in a short while, his eyes glazed until they were solid silver in sheen, just like the eyes of the hawk he travelled with, and now, inside of.

As Carith settled into his trance-like state, Dornhild shuddered. Speaking to Rongald he grumbled, "So unnatural is that man's stare that I feel as though looking upon a dead man. The light of his eyes has been hidden, the spark of his soul gone elsewhere."

Rongald nodded slightly. "Master Thrayn has on occasion meditated, and the crawl of the skin upon my back has never lessened, despite my many weeks of familiarity with his ways. I can tell you that master Carith is not in this body, for it is a shell he travels in rather than the man's essence, as it is with you and I."

Dornhild grunted, saying nothing as he tried to avoid glancing at the still form of Carith.

------------------------------

The winds were chill, as it was still Winter, ableit the tail end of it. Above the forest, updrafts from the lingering warmth of the woods made flight easy. An image came to him then; a mouse scurrying across the forest floor, and feelings of hunger.

No, my friend. Now is not time for mice, no matter how delicious. We have a task before us, and we must focus our attentions.

The reply was far from friendly, but at least this time there were no images of the bird clawing out the eyes of the sleeping Carith. Those were unsettling, and though Carith knew the bird would never betray the bond they shared in such a way, knew that it was merely the humor of a raptor, it still made him uneasy. Which always made the bird laugh - or the raptor equivalent. It "felt" to Carith remarkably similar to the "feeling" he received when his companion made a kill of some rodent.

It was only a quarter hour before the two, in the bird's body, left the treeline of the forest and into the lands of the Northmen. Below, a small group of orcs were finishing mutilating some Human guerillas and started heading back east - towards their own lines. More of the same, he thought somberly.

This far north the battle lines did not really exist as such. Rather, it was more a region of inter-penetration, wherein small groups of Men, Elf and Orc raided each other continuously. As it had been for two millenia, since the Orcs first arrived in the northern mountains.

The bird felt Sad, but Carith knew this was just part of the drama. Someday it will end, but not today.

Onward he flew, catching updrafts where he could and flapping where he must. As the air cooled with evening, the updrafts grew less frequent until they went away entirely, and then it was a matter of dodging the downdrafts of falling, colder air.

There - the rock of his vision. A feeling of dread. It really did seem to rise from the low, rolling terrain like a red collumn, flat on top with some hasty defensive measures. Probably a place of final retreat for the villagers. Ah, the villagers. The village was small and walled. How Men would get from the village to the rock at the end of a nasty fight was not clear.

Beyond the gates of the village, a pole, upon which was impaled a Man in tattered, rent armor that bore the red claw/green orb coat of arms. Some distance away, a burning pyre of Orc corpses was left unattended. This night, the village was closed up tight.

So far, all well. A journey of a mere hour an a half of hard flight; it would take Carith days on the ground to get to this place. Time to fly back, lest some danger befall his unattended body.

Boredom overtook the man and bird alike, for they passed over familiar terrain. The corpses of the men from the earlier ambush, he discovered as he returned to the lands of the Fey, had been decapitated.

Good, they will not Rise.

When he was close to the camp of his companion that thought was immediately cut short as he spotted movement a mere few hundred feet from the fire. Circling once, twice. What was it? There - a clearing in the canopy revealed the source of the movement with utter clarity. Two men with maces, crawling towards the unsuspecting encampment.

Carith urged the bird's body forward, nearly diving at his unattended shell, and once the course was set, severed the connection. With a jolt strong as that of hammer upon anvil he felt himself fall forcefully into his body, for a second unable to speak due to the shock of the rapid transferrance, but coming to his senses was a matter of moments, barely enough to slow him down.

Danger...

Emiricol

Carith flung himself to his feet, drawing Raseri Styrke as he did so. Landing on his feet blade in hand he half speaks half whispers to the men at the camp, "To arms, there are men sneaking towards this camp at least two but there may be more."

Rongald and Dornhild, who had not yet removed their armor for the night due to the early hour, reached immediately for their weapons. Both slung shields and held aloft their spears, placing themselves between Masters Thrayn and Corith and the direction the latter had seemed to be concerned with. Rongald said, looking to Carith, "How long?" His easy, casual tone in no way matched his appearance, tense and damp from adrenaline.

"Another 30 seconds at most and they will be upon us. Stand fast and we will whether what ever this night brings." Carith stepped up and placed himself just behind the two men, sword held high and ready to strike, eyes open for other signs of danger.

Across the fire from the three humans in his entourage, Thrayn stood. They were into the border between human lands and the Veradeen, a stretch of land under constant attack from agents of the Shadow and the resistance alike, not to mention the constant threat of bandits preying on those suffering from the war. These men Carith mentioned could be of any of those affiliations. Resistance fighters would make valuable allies, and bandits could be bent to any purpose that showed a profit, as Rongald and Bornhild could attest to. Agents of the Shadow would soon feel the chill of Veradeen steel.

"Creatus Imagiae Absentia Visagem" came the words of power whispered between closed teeth. Thrayn's hands traced a twisting pattern of circular runes in the air as he did so. The warmth of power began to grow along his skin out from his spine and wrap him in the very magics he called on. To his eyes, he was shimmering slightly, like a reflection in a still pool. To all else, he was the wind, unseen but not unfelt. His hands went to his fighting knives and pulled them free with barely a sound as oiled steel slid from leather.

Just as Thrayn shimmered into invisibility, the bushes nearby rustled - four eyes peering out of the shadows of the brush. Realizing they had been spotted, two Men leapt up, maces held high, and without a word began to charge, quickly closing the distance.

A mad light danced in their eyes, glossy, with pupils dilated incredibly. Both had skin of a slight blueish tinge, but one had dark, ugly splotches around his front left side, hideous bruising. Both men wore sleeved leather armor and pot helms, and carried round shields, but the enthusiasm with which they charged left the shields providing only a passive protection.

In an instant, they had nearly engaged Rongald and Dornhild.

Dornhild gripped his spear tightly as he waited for the threat to appear, and when the Fell burst from the woods fear gripped him; he stepped quickly backwards to avoid the foul creature. In his fear he failed to notice Carith step to his flank and close towards the creature, blade held in a low stance.

Rongald stood fast, bracing for the oncoming charge. He grimaced, fighting the urge to run from the undead attackers and set his spear to take the foul thing in the chest.

Carith then engaged his target, and swung low on the Fell, making contact at the knee. The steel blade cleaved clean through the creature's flesh, sending the lower leg flying in one direction as the creature stumbling forward. Even without his leg the creature continued his attack, swinging wildly at Dornhild. Its mace crashed into the ground at Dornhild's feet, just barely missing the legs of the back-pedaling Northman.

Suddenly, thickly congealed blood splashed down before Rongald from the creature's ruined legs as the Ungral crashed onto its face, losing its grip and tossing the mace forward as it collapsed. The legs were severed almost right through at both knees and were laying at odd angles. The Fell's chest pressed into the ground unnaturally, as though under a heavy weight. Without warning, then, the beast's head flopped forward, severed at the neck, and rolled off to the side trailing black ichor oozing from the opened throat.

Thrayn had attacked under the cloak of invisibility, running to flank and hamstring the monstrosity. Once down he had knelt on the mockery's back and scissored its head clean off with a single coordinated strike from both knives. Rongald recognized all this, and his awe at his Elf leader grew another notch even as he dropped his spear in surprise.

Meanwhile, Carith pivoted hard to stop his momentum from his attack and raised his sword high above his head. Bringing it down with all his might, he sliced into the first creature's chest, shattering its ribs and collarbone. It would have been a fatal wound on any mortal, but the Fell kept moving, crawling towards Dornhild, salivating.

Dornhild took another step back before he regained his courage. Gripping his spear tightly, he stepped forward and plunged it into the creatures gut, causing what should have been another lethal wound in any mortal Man, but the abomination continued to thrash and growl on the ground, barely a trickle of coagulating blood escaping its wound.

Without hesitating Carith raised his sword and plunged it into the pinned Ungral's skull, the blade passing straight through to finally end the Fell's unnatural life.

Rongald was staring at the bodies in astonishment, not noticing that he had dropped his spear, and took a stumbling step backwards, but Thrayn hardly cared as he trod off into the brush. Where these Fell had come from, more could be near. Worse yet if they were controlled by one of the Legates, directing Fell raids into the Veradeen.

Dornhild, the horror of what had just occured working its way past his battle adreneline once again, stepped back towards the imagined safety of the fire, gripping his spear tightly and casting accusing eyes at every shadow around the small camp.

Carith placed his boot upon the creature's jaw and pulled Raseri Stryke free. Hearing Thrayn walk off into the dark of the night, he walked after the Elf, calling back to the two Northmen, "Stay here, these woods are no place for Men at night." He called out once more to Thrayn.

Thrayn grimaced openly - with no one to see him it was no betrayal of feeling. Finally, he waited until Carith had passed him and then spoke from where he crouched. "What you said was true, Human. Try not to betray our position. I'll follow you." Perhaps following the human wouldn't keep them from the prying eyes of the Shadow's agents, but if they did come after Carith they would make easy targets for Thrayn's unseen blades. Somewhere inside, he began to almost hope they were found.

It was easy to see on Cariths face that he was unnerved by Thrayn's plan, but he simply nodded in the direction the voice had come from and began to walk into the woods, crouched low and moving with soft and measured steps, his unnatural eyes glancing about the woods, alert for any threats. He edged further along, keeping alert. Thrayn was nearby, certainly - though invisible, his steps were not well cushioned. Careless. Carith shook the thought from his mind.

He was about to hiss a warning to be quiet to the Elf when a muffled cry was heard ahead. He slowed, creeping forward, eyes wide and darting. Carith's eyes froze. There! Movement! He circled around a brush carefully, slow step by slow step, and into view came a tree, and kneeling before the tree, a Man.

The man was crouched over on his knees, bloody axe at his side. The big Norther's shaggy clothes shook with the force of his quiet sobbing, a pitiful sound that seemed out of place from such a large man. His cloak showed a moist, red spot on the side and back, badly bloodied.

Then it was clear what he crouched over. It was a woman in her late teens, now dead. Her feet extended out from his left, her upper torso and face hidden as he cradled them in his lap, back to the newcommers - the man situated between her and them.

Thrayn slowly circled around the man, trying to get a good look at the girl. If she were merely badly wounded, he might be able to use his magic to bring her back from the brink of death and secure another strong arm to his side. As he circled, the woman's face and upper body came slowly into view. It was a sickening sight. The top of her head was caved in, pushing the upper portion of her face forward horribly. Blood and brains oozed out the back of her head onto the sobbing man's lap - though he seemed not to notice, or at least not to care.

Carith stared at the man before him, who seemed too lost in his grief to notice him, for several moments. Deep in his heart a brief fear begins to grow. Someday this could be Alyea. Although will it be me grieving her passing, or much more likely her standing over me long after I have passed on. Is this the fate of all who oppose the Shadow, a life of mourning and grief over those you love, and then an all consuming attempt for vengence in their name... Is that the fate that awaits me along my road?! He stepped then from the shadows, his sword out in a low, obviously defensive position.

"What was her name friend?"

The man paused, his hands trembling as they cradled her head in his lap. Without looking back he said, voice overcome with emotion, "She was called Oda, and we were to start a new life among the trees. We fled Shadow for... days, weeks, I don't know. We almost made it." Another sob wracked his body.

Then, the Man turned his head towards Carith, tear-streaked face a mask of inner agony. The look was so... human, so genuine, that it took a moment for Carith to register that this man was dead. His face and lips degrees of blue no living man would display, pupils blown wide, consuming the irises. Moreover, his nose has been sliced off, a trophy for an Orc no doubt.

With a pleading and unsteady voice he cried, "Please, you must help me tend to her body and bury her. I was knocked unconscious in a battle with Orcs, and when I awoke, she was gone. I tracked her, hoping to find her, and I did, just in time to see her struck down by those fal'the, the Fell. Companions of ours from a fight with Orcs, who Rose while I was unconscious. They left her body here, charging off into the woods - probably towards you. I hope you've put those abominations down! I hope Oda can rest knowing she is avenged!" at this last, his voice grew strong and steady, gruff with rage at circumstances beyond his control. "How can I face tomorrow without my Oda?" he sobbed once more, leaning over the body and cradling it tenderly.

For a moment watching this man weep over the broken body of his beloved, Thrayn felt a surge of pity. This was him just a few short years ago - cradling murdered loved ones. His pain was the more poignant, however, as the death of immortal life cuts off centuries of experience and feeling. This man has lost only what little life his woman had remaining. The pain was similar though and it brought back Thrayn's memory of his own losses with startling strength. As the man looked up and turned toward Carith, Thrayn was ripped from his reverie by the man's obvious condition. Fell!

Acting with unfortunate haste he lunged at the man with both knives, desperately slashing at the once-man's neck. Memories of pain and the anguish of his own losses still pulled at him, however, and in his recklessness he stumbled as he swung. The first slash came short as he caught himself with his free foot, and the knife slipped out of his hand as he wheeled for balance. The second blade dropped low and dug into the dead man's shoulder, leaving a large but poorly-placed gouge.

At the same time, Carith gripped his blade and stepped forward, rapidly closing the distance between himself and greiving man. Raseri Stryke flashed downward quickly, slicing across the creature's chest at the ribs and splitting him open in a large gash.

The poor man cried out, "Why do you attack?! I have little of value, bandits!" and with that he stood, readying his axe. His eyes still damp with tears, he had the expression of righteous outrage of a man betrayed.

Thrayn grimaced and lunged for his fallen knife. It had become visible out of his grip, but he still needed it if he wanted to fight effectively against this larger man. He grabbed the hilt and scrabbled back up to his feet, crouching low to avoid the Fell's backswinging axe. With both knives securely in his grip, he sprung at the confused Fell slashing in wide upward strokes. The blade in his right hand struck against the side of the man's face, chopping deep into his cheek and sliding out along his scalp, leaving a deep ugly wound. The man's head snapped to the side with the impact, throwing off Thrayn's aim. The blade in his left hand cut across the Fell's wide back, merely grating against the ribs on his left side. It would never sit well with Thrayn how the Fell seemed to ignore such grievous bodily damage.

Carith took a step back from the Fell now that the surprise was done, his sword kept in a low defensive position. "I attack to end your unnatural existance friend - do not fear, for soon you will join her in the peace of the afterlife." Carith took a step back to give himself some more room, but the uneven footing of the clearing caused him to stumble slightly. He caught himself before he hit the ground, but the effort to keep his balance had put his blade completly out of position to attempt any sort of parry.

Carith's comment only further engraged the Fell, who swung his axe in a brutal chop at the woodsman' midsection. Carith watched with a sickening feeling in the pit of his stomach as the Fell drove the blow home with grief-given strength. The axe slammed into Carith's hip, cutting deeply, dislocating it at the joint and chipping the bone badly. Carith's world became one of pain and blurred vision. He kept his feet, but only through force of will, and even then he was totally out of position to defend from the follow up blow that was sure to come from the axe. So this is it, then...

Thrayn was suddenly desperate to stop the creature, but would never be able to admit to himself that it was for Carith's sake. He stabbed wildly and took the Fell in the thigh, puncturing it deeply and tearing through the mass of muscle in the leg.

The Fell shrugded off most of the blow, and still swung his axe forward in a vicious slash at Cariths head, but his blow was taken off course by the last ditch efforts of Tharyn - the blow missed by a narrow margin, despite Carith's lack of defense. Pulling the knife out, Thrayn chopped frantically at the man's knee but to no avail. Deep cuts and rent muscles wouldn't stop the undead.

The Fell lunged forward again, swinging his axe again in another slash at Carith's midsection. Carith had finally come back to his senses in the scant second Thrayn had given him, and he lept away in desperation, narrowly avoiding the blow. The sharp pain in his leg nearly dropped him to the ground, his own simple footstep hitting him like a hammer blow in his wrecked hip.

Jumping to a full stand, Thrayn thrust out to the back of the Fell's neck, and his aim was truer this time. The knife partly severed the dead creature's spine and, exiting through the front by way of his larynx. If he had been a living man, the Fell would have dropped on the spot. As it was, he twitched and moved with difficulty, but continued to advance inch by inch toward Carith.

Watching as Thrayn desperately slashed into the creature repeatedly, Carith continued to limp away in horror, trying to put some distance between him and his implacable attacker.

The Fell continued to crawl forward, closing some of the distance between it and Carith, but the multitude of wounds Thrayn had inflicted had taken their toll on even dead muscles. The monster was unable to swing its axe with any strength and again missed the fleeing Carith, this time by a wide margin.

Thrayn leapt onto the fallen Fell's back and, hacking at its neck over and over in swift, harried blows, he took the creature's head from its shoulders. With a finall shudder, the Fell stopped moving altogether.

Catching his breath, Thrayn stood, staggering and panting. He looked over at Carith but didn't really see him. The blades hung from his hands, dripping blood and flesh into the now muddy snow.

Last edited:

Emiricol

CUT SCENE: Autumn, Year 99 of the Last Age

The village of Rode Pijler, recently renamed by its Legate, lay a bit north of the Plains of Eris Aman. Orcs had been raiding the region for weeks, and leaving the dead to Rise. Packs of Ungral were becoming a serious hazard. No one knew why the Orcs were raiding so heavily, but refugees had come to the village over the last few days, nearly doubling the population. Thankfully, it was not yet Winter and the recent harvest had been bountiful - and the Legate had not passed on most of the fruits of their labors, instead laying in stores for some unknown reason.

Warrior Legate Joris frowned. Turning to the mayor he had selected last year, after skinning the last mayor alive for reading, Joris said in Norther, "Elsa! Get your worthless hide over here." The words were harsh, but spoken softly. They were all the more menacing for it.

The woman curtseyed the Legate, eyes downcast, and stopped just outside his easy striking range, in case he was going to punch her again. Let him have to take a step to strike me today, she thought with some tiny measure of defiance, before forcing herself to change thoughts to ones of fear, subservience and loyalty. After all, she never knew when he was reading her mind. She wasn't sure he could, but his ability to tell what people were up to, or thinking, or feeling, was simply frightening.

He smiled then, which never boded well. "We have two heads for every one head I should own. I do not want them milling about, irritating my Blades. You will assign these people to different houses in equal measure. Any unwed woman of age from among the newcomers who has not yet been disfigured, you will send to my house, and you will make a note of those families which have no such maiden. They will receive an extra work detail. I expect company tonight and work details assigned by morning. Am I clear?"

Elsa replied quietly with as submissive a demeanor as she could muster. One answered the Legate when spoken to. "This woman understands the Warrior Legate." She almost said understands you again, but after the last beating she took, she had vowed never to make that mistake again. Joris liked his victims to speak about him and themselves in the third person. It amused him.

Walking as quickly as she could to distance herself from the Legate, Elsa was troubled. Most of their own fighting-age men had been killed or sent to some place called Steel Hill, and yet these newcommers seemed almost all to be adule males of able body. I will be lucky to find enough women to keep myself out of trouble, she thought with a shudder. Being "in trouble" meant a beating, or worse. Much worse. Beatings were much to be preferred.

Two hours later
Elsa had all the new people assigned new quarters. They'd been sleeping wherever they could for days. Elsa took a risk and did not assign anyone to the Gealics hovel, for they had the Red Shakes running through their household. The Legate would not care, and his instructions were clear, but Elsa considered the risk of beating worthwhile to spare some hapless family of refugees from probable infection and death.

She was happy though, in another way. She had found four who fit the Legate's description, and had sent them to his quarters as he instructed. They would have a hard time of things for a day or two, but would probably live if the Legate didn't get too drunk. Better them than her - she had a daughter to care for and a husband who grew angry whenever she was summoned to the Legate overnight. Those women, she didn't know - and they had no families of their own. Yes, better them than me, she thought sadly.

As she pondered this, however, her heart nearly lept into her mouth as she was grabbed suddenly from behind. Rough hands, rough treatment. She was dragged, with someone's strong hand over her mouth, into one of the houses. It was empty, the usual occupants busy working in the fields.

Within, there were some ten armed men. Armed! They had axes, and bows, and more! Oh by Shadow, no! They will get us all killed! The thought was a scream in her head, but as a dagger had been placed to her throat she made not a sound. Life under the Legate had taught her to control her whimpers.

One of the men stepped forward and said with a rather disarming smile, and a kindly, calm tone of voice that set her mind much at ease, "You are the mayor, yes? You are a servant of the Legate. Tell me, is there a back way to the Legate's house? A way to get there unseen by the Orcs at the gate or in the warehouse barracks?"

Usually there were only a couple orcs on duty, at the gates. The rest lounged in their barracks most of the day. Elsa nodded. She didn't believe this man would kill her, but the one with the knife at her throat was another matter and the increased pressure he put on the blade prompted her to nod quickly.

The kindly-spoken man smiled, and motioned the other to let her go. For the next twenty minutes she told them everything she knew. The man with the knife looked for all the world like he would relish nothing more than gutting her for being a "servant of evil". Talking was much better than dying.

Late Afternoon
The stage was set. The twenty rebels had snuck into the village with refugees, unarmed, then once the commotion had died down and the orcs less attentive, their weapons were smuggled back in, or over the wall on the back side of the village.

The plan was simple. Most of the men would take out the gate Orcs while simultaneously burning down the warehouse the rest were barracked in. They had a special alchemical mixture in ten wax-sealed bottles which, when exposed to air, somehow ignited and exploded, splashing and the burning liquid inside everywhere. One at each of the two windows, one at the door, and two in reserve in case the orcs within hacked their way through a wall or via the roof. Archers would do the rest.

But five men would go with their leader, Hargeld, to the Legate's abode. They would burst in and try to slay Joris before he could get his foul magic to work. The woman traitor had told them the direct path along the back wall to the Legate's bedchamber, where he spent most of his time, before they bound her. She was a victim, to be sure, but still a traitor who could not be trusted to just walk around until after the deed was done.

"Are we ready then, men? We have a village to free before Warrior Legate Christoffel's raiders get here in the Spring. The villagers will all die if this Joris bastard is still in power when they arrive - he foolishly doesn't fear Christoffel's ambitions, but our informant has served us well informing us of the raid."

Hardly breathing and as still as a grim statue, Aesmir the Seeker stood watching and waiting, his own long silloette merging with that of the building corner that half-hid his form.

Fight the Shadow in the Dark, my child, for in the dark the lesser shadows, jealous, plot also against it. Those were Aesmir's mother's words, and it was for her sake that he ultimately offered his services to this raid. This legate that we are going to take down, Joris or whatever his name is, seems to have a thing for forcing himself on virgin girls, he thought grimly. This situation reminded Aesmir of both his parents - Joris of his father, and his victims of his poor mother. His mother had taught him from a early age that if he was to fight the shadow, he must first learn its ways.

Ironically the climax of one of these lessons involved him being forced to watch his mother consume a meal laced with a herbal poison his father had made him concoct. His father had apparently tired of his mother's company.

He shook his head clear. Now convinced there were no sentries watching this area directly, Aesmir quickly gestured out of the shadow to the other five men back behind the last building, motioning them to come forward. They startled a little, then realised it was him and made their way quickly and quietly across the dirt street towards his own position. A slight smile formed on his hidden lips; a loner at heart Aesmir often forgot how just easily others lost him in the dark! They hadn't seen him until he motioned them.

Hargeld nodded as they approached. "I reckon I'd better take back my vote against you as pointman, 'Shadow-Walker'!" He gave Aesmir a strange look, a mixture of condescension and amusement completed with a gentle slap on the back.

Aesmir simply shrugged and gave Hargeld a questioning look, suggesting there was something he had forgotten.

"Okay, Smart-Ass, I admit that bundling swords up in firewood to get them into the village actually worked. While we're at it do you have any other 'brilliant' ideas that you want credit for?" Hargeld hissed this in a low voice with a little frustration.

Unfazed, Aesmir mildly answered in his gentle, matter-of-fact manner. "Seven's a luckier number than five." With that he stuck the middle and index fingers of his right hand between his teeth and blew gently. The note that was whistled was unheard by any of the men; its result was seen quickly, however. What they had thought in the dark to be merely a pile of sheepskins raised itself attentively, yawned, and then trotted over Aesmir. Staring expectantly up at his master, 'Ghost', a noble looking white hound, waited patiently for Aesmir's command. "With me, Lad."

-----------------

Truth. Heron had lost sight of the word. He wondered as to what was the truth behind his reason for being here. Many others fought the Shadow because they believed it the right thing to do. That surely wasn't his reason, though - mostly he just wanted to be left alone. He didn't truly care about the people in this town. They were weak, unwilling to die to stand up to the legate. The women would rather serve him in his bed chamber than die. His Einzel would have rather died. Einzel, where was Einzel? That was probably his true reason for being there. He wasn't even sure why he was still drawn to her. He had hardly known the woman. He had hoped to get to know her, but there had been no chance. No. There was no time for thoughts of her, of that, right now.

Heron returned to the present. He was hidden in shadows, not quite so well as the man he had come to know as Aesmir, but well enough. His clothing was tattered but there seemed to be little for it. That simply came of getting clothing off of your kills instead of having them made. He did not mind - they fit him well enough and that was all that mattered.

His hands rested securely on the hilts of his blades. They were not drawn as of yet, as the glint of steel could easily give them away this early in the game. His eyes darted in every direction, as if he expected an enemy from every side. Many a man grew uneasy under that gaze. His eyes were a light grey, and some went so far as to say it was the mark of the Shadow. In truth, he expected nothing; his training had taught him that was the only way to not be surprised. He simply followed along silently.

Relaxing his vigil only slightly, Aesmir slowly breathed in, taking a taste of the still air around him and then silently letting it out again before softly voicing his thoughts to the others. "If the good lady's words are to be believed, we are to find our 'friend', Legate Joris in a chamber at the other end of the Manor house to our point of entry. As I see it what we do at this entrance depends on both whether there are guards within the building and how much light does shine there in."

He paused there to give Heron, Hargeld and the others chance to comment. Aesmir, a tall placid man with pale blue eyes, very short fair hair and stubble, and a modest collection of scars, was dressed in what appeared to be well-maintained if slightly worn huntsman's leathers. Heron, however knew better - Aesmir's doublet for instance had a thin layer of metal scales sewn between the two layers of leather, whilst its raised collar concealed Aesmir's mail coif round his neck. His sword, 'Foe-Skewer', and its companion dagger hung off each hip.

Heron grunted. "We can't possibly know until we're inside. We must strike swiftly." He grinned, as that was the way he prefered it. Strike swiftly and fade away. I wonder how many of those joined with me will not live to see another day. "We storm in and move quickly and as quietly as possible. Any better ideas?" He grinned. He was ready to move forward.

"Storming in, quickly then quietly. An interesting concept, friend Heron," commented Aesmir with a slightly amused but dubious tone to his voice. His eyes briefly twinkled in the shadows. Aesmir understood the younger man's sentiments and even felt them himself, but experience had taught him to think twice before rushing in blind. "If a building is lit by torches or fires you can tell by looking for a slight glow under doors and between panels. If there is a watch on Joris' room you may well be able to hear them at the other end of the building. Heron, I'll support you if there be reasonable numbers. Guards in near darkness, however, I'd rather eliminate stealthily lest we alert the legate to our presence before we can close to battle with him alone. If there appear to be no guards better one of us sneaks in and does it with one blow, whilst others hold back to cover him and the building."

"Spoken as a true volunteer. Let us go then, so that you might use the shadow to bring death to the Shadow." Amusement was evident in Heron's voice. He understood hiding in the shadow. In the current Age, many were afraid of the dark, but Heron was not. He doubted any of the men now with him were either. These men had embraced their deaths long ago, as he had. It was not a matter of wanting to die so much as it was a choice of truly living. The people of this village did not truly live; they simply did not yet die. Too many men had bent a knee to the Shadow. Heron would not do so, not to anyone or anything. He had no illusions of nobility or righteousness. Had history been different, he would have likely rebelled against whatever other authority there had been.

"Naturally." Aesmir gave Heron a slight grin, then stepped back and disappeared completely into the shadows, Ghost with him.

A few moments later they appear to step out of an indirectly-connected shadow some hundred yards down the street closer to the legate's dwelling. Heron noted with some trepidation that he could not have moved so far so fast without being seen. It felt almost supernatural.

Having noticed no sentries Aesmir beckoned Heron and the others to come to him. As they did so Aesmir turned his attention to the back door of the house where Legate Joris resided. Is that candlelight I see coming from under the door crack, or simply a trick of the night? Either way, Aesmir walked cautiously over to the door, which he intended to listen at for sounds of any movement within. If there are no sounds of orcish guards coming from over towards the legate's chamber, then truly this Joris is a fool indeed..., he thought, perhaps a dangerous underestimation of the threat he faced.

Heron moved forward, instinctively keeping to shadows. The Humans here could prove to be as dangerous as any of the Shadowspawn. They would gladly warn the Legate in return for any kind of better treatment, or merely the hopes of surviving the Shadow's retributions. And so, Heron kept scanning back and forth, searching for any signs of movement. Once he had completed the short journey to catch up to Aesmir, he waited patiently. He tried to listen for movement within the building as well.

As the five Men hudled quietly around the door with Aesir and Heron, they too listened carefully. This end of the building shielded them from the noise of the village, although this time of day had been selected for many reasons, not least of which was the generally low activity level of the village in this part of the settlement when most of the people were tending fields or cattle. Hargeld had made that call, declaring that to do otherwise put undue risk on the victims of this all, the villagers.

Within, there was first a scuffling noise, and then the audible jangle of metal on metal, which Aesmir recognized immediately as armor - meaning, the Legate himself probably. Orcs rarely had armor. In seconds, however, there was the low 'thud' of a heavy wooden door closing. Whether this was the door to the greathall or the door to his private chambers was not clear.

Aesmir also noted the sound of wood scraping on stone. A chair sliding perhaps. Their information suggested that this would be the post of an orc guard, for two were usually to be found in the Legate's dwelling. Their exact locations, however, were not known to any but the orcs and the kitchen staff, who bunked with the Orcs lest they talk too much. No, Joris was too careful for it to be that easy. This meant, then, that the Legate himself was behind a closed door, either in the greathall or in his chambers, but not in the kitchen/storage area. Sad, really. This was passed on to the others.

Hargeld whispered softly, careful to mask any sharp syllables. "Well then. How to proceed? The Legate is known for his fire magics. I've heard that he can cast most of them in less than the time it takes a man to count to ten, but that this is difficult for him - he prefers to take his time so as not to fatigue as much. Just over half a minute. So we have to get him faster than that - we must keep him from holding us off that long." Hargeld glanced around, clearly unsure what to do then. He was known for his strategies - not his tactics.

"We move into the kitchen cloak'n'dagger like, take out the guards outside Joris' chamber, preferably without too much noise, then we go for the legate himself," said Aesmir dryly with a coldly confident glance towards the others. Noting the slight wavering of Hargeld and indeed some of the others at the obvious admission from his statement, he added a dismissive afterthought with a gentle chuckle, "Fire-magic? Pish! Worry more should this pig-legate squeal for more orc Blades to save his bacon! Besides, should he be stupid enough to cast a fireball inside this place, the fool only creates his own funeral pyre! See?" Aesmir pointed at the wooden framework of the hall and its thatched roof. Though probably the building with the most stonework in all of Rode Pijler, the hall had enough wood and thatch to quickly make it a blaze should a fire start unchecked anywhere but in the hearth. "Only question is, do we move just before or along with our boys attacking the barracks and gate?"

"Not so fast. We need to have a plan should the noise become too much. Who stays to deal with the orcs and who moves to deal with Joris. I don't care if it is suicide to use fire magics - that doesn't mean the legate wouldn't do it. And who knows what protections his magic might afford him?"

"I never said he wouldn't - I just reckon that, given the circumstances, the legate won't want to use his magic unless he's got no other options left. I don't think he's that stupid, but I admit I might be wrong," Aesmir replied with a shrug.

Swords and Sorcery. For all the wonder of magic, Aesmir firmly believed that it was a poor replacement for just being mundanely good at anything. Aesmir had the sense of mind to realize he was ever so slightly biased in this respect, but still... Use magic to do magic things, by all means - turning lead into gold and princes into frogs was fine, but fireballs? A good bowman could get two arrows off quite leisurely before a wizard had finished even chanting his incantations, if it were a strong enough spell to channel such power.

Leaning on his bow Aesmir considered Heron's other point, and then added, "Good point about the back up plan though. I would suggest we have at least two go for the legate rather than one, as he's the target, in case one fails to reach him. You and me perhaps?"

Heron grinned. There was a gleam in his eye. Heron would gladly pit his skill against a legate. He considered it good practice. He wished to scare the Shadow, develop a reputation for destroying evil. The very thought made him smile. "Fine by me."

Hargeld nodded, satisfied. "You two should be able to take the Legate if you can but reach him before he can barricade himself in. What if we move in, two of my men along the left wall go first, you two along the right wall hot on their heels. Then I and my other two men will come in right behind you and go where needed? We can try sneaking in, and if someone realizes we've been spotted he'll give a warcry to alert the rest - then it's speed over silence."

Hargeld looked nervous, clearly uneasy about attacking a Legate, even by surprise, but resolute in the task. Still, seemed clearly aware that he was no tactical genius.

"That would mean we go in right before the attack on the bunkers by the other Men," agreed Heron, Aesmir nodding in agreement. Take out the legate before he locks himself in, should be easy enough. He touched his blades in their sheath, working them to make sure they would come out smoothly when they were needed. The plan would be just fine for Heron. He was sure Aesmir and he would end up having to make a run for the legate, though.

At a nod from Hargeld, one of the men slowly opened the door a mere inch. With the door cracked open, the hinges were slightly exposed, and the man went to work with an oddly shaped bottle. It had a long, narrow spout and, with each sqeeze, a drop of some type of oil was produced from the spout. The hinges thus oiled into silence, the door was swung open further, enough to see within.

Inside, all was quiet. The Legate's door was open, but no sound came from within. Directly next to the door of the Legate's room sat an Orc guard on a wooden stool. He was half asleep, leaning against barrels just east of the legate's door.

Within the Legate's room was visible his fearsome animal companion, a wardog that was said to be possessed by demons and capable of smelling out the faintest of magic - but not, by all accounts, the simple charms the local healer and herbalist made for the people of the village. Not that this was an important feature at the moment. In any case, the dog seemed fast asleep and the orc had not noticed the door crack open.

Heron froze. He was unsure how to proceed. He was only thankful that he was not the leader here, that ultimately it would not be his call, his decision. He waited for someone else to move, to react, or to decide how to proceed. The orc was awake, and they would need to enter the structure to find Joris. That would mean the dog would probably soon be awake, too.

Aesmir took a long glance at what could be seen within and then turned back, leaning thoughtfully to the left of the door. He raised his icy blue eyes to meet those of the first of the two men Hargeld had nominated as the pair to go down the left wall, extending one finger, and glanced across to the other, bringing up a second finger. Having both men's attention he then pointed toward the sleeping orc. Two of you, one of him... Keeping his eyes keenly on the two men, Aesmir then brought the finger to his throat and drew it straight across, as though a knife slicing.

Then, his eyes met Heron's. Aesmir simply pointed into the legate's chamber before glancing to Hargeld and the remaining men. He whispered very quietly, being careful to soften any sharp sounds such as "s" or "f", "Count to ten after the group before you, then move."

To the first two men he continued, "When you're ready..."

Hargeld lookeds up at the sky, gauging the time of day. After a long moment, he nodded curtly, satisfied with the position of the sun. Then he whispered to the two lead men, "Go! Go silently as you can."

The two slid through the doorway, silently padding along the left wall as cautiously as they could. Fortunately, they move with the silence of cutpurses, and in just a few seconds they were a mere five feet away from the sentry, crouched behind the barrels to the orc's right. The orc seemed unaware, eyes fluttering closed, then snapping open! Closed. Then snapping open! He was almost asleep, but trying desperately not to. So far, so good.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6... Aesmir silently counted down as he watched the first group's progress down the left. There was a brief half-second worry in his mind that they might make too much noise but the concern was swiftly put to rest. ...7, 8... He mentally prepared himself for his group's part, knowing that if he should make an ill step here they would all suffer, and even worse, the Men of this village as a whole would continue to suffer.

He could not fail, he would not allow himself to fail. The Time of Man was now! His time was now, and Aesmir was ready. ...9, 10... and go!

the wardog Ghost padding softly at his heels, Aesmir slid into the shadows to the right. He did not pass a glance to Heron; the other man knew his part as well as he did, and further rehersal was no longer needed in this drama. Knowing all this and using it as his faith and guidance Aesmir stalked down towards the legate's chamber, ready to enter and do the deed that must done as those ahead of him took the orc guard.

Heron grinned as Aesmir and Ghost moved forward, andfell in behind them. He attempted to move as quietly as possible, but he knew the silence would not last. Soon, someone would make too much noise, and they would be given away. It was the way of such things. It could even be me that causes it.

Heron forced those thoughts out of his mind. He refocused on the now. His hands rested on the hilts of his twin blades; he was ready to draw them, but he wanted to wait for the right moment. He did not want the sound of them sliding out of their sheaths or their shine to give him away.

Quickly and quietly, Heron and Aesmir moved into a partly concealed position. The half-asleep Orc failed to notice the movement, and the other two humans already in place stayed frozen. If the other orc, likely in the dining hall through the doorway along the left wall, had heard or seen them, he hadn't yet raised an alarm.

Meawhile, the Astirax continued to sleep, snoring softly, and the accursed Legate had not yet left his desk. A glance back showed Hargeld ready to move out, a questioning look upon his face. Surely his other man was behind him, out of view but also ready.

Heron slowed his pace. Ideally all three groups would be in position and be able to attack at the same instant. In reality, the chances of that happening were slim to none, but that would not stop Heron from trying. With the slowing of his motions, the pounding of heart in his own ears seemed almost deafening. The moment was almost upon them and soon combat would break out, the strange serenity of combat, raw terror and exhiliration and more, bound up in a few moments of crystal clarity...

The shadow of the large crate he had pressed up against obscuring his form, Aesmir pulled his long cloak round himself, covering his hands and letting its hem drape to the floor. Only then content that the steel's shine was hidden did he carefully draw his weapons under the olive drab wool of the cloak. It also deadened the soft scrape sound of blade across leather as they were drawn. All the while his ice blue eyes focussed unwaveringly on the back of the Warrior Legate's head jutting up ever so often from the chair in which the priest of shadow sat.

The lead rebel, Hargeld, tensed, axe ready. He had slung his shield so as not to bump it on anything, thus giving away their presence. The hall was silent, save for the soft scritch, scritch of the Legate's ink-moist quill upon dry parchment.

The first rebel to enter tensed, building up his courage, then lunged at the orc at the Legate's door! He came in with a hard overhand strike that took the orc in the top of his head, but the wound was not as solid as it could have been, and despite losing some blood the foul warrior did not even lose consciousness. Still, the look of surprise and fear on his face was almost comical.

The man didn't hesitate, bringing the axe around with a horizontal swing, keeping its momentum going, but the Orc scrambled desperately away, ending up with his back to the kegs on the opposite side of the door from where his resting spot had been - and placing him directly in the doorway! It also gave him time to draw his cruel Falchion-like Vardach, which he held in a stance of raw defensiveness. No fool, this Orc, he was biding time.

The rebel warrior moved to close again with the Orc, who had moved out of melee, axe again held high and agressive, swinging at the sentry with a downward diagonal slash, right to left. The Orc parried it with relative ease in an overhead deflection, then swung his own blade back around with a horizontal cut. The man leapt out of the way, into the main hall, the Orc's blade coming close enough to tear his sleeve.

Meanwhile, Hargeld and his warrior had moved in at the first sound of conflict, and spotting the melee on the floor, rushed in as quickly as they could. The Orc they had known was in the great hall took a second to realize what was going on, but then had stood and drawn his Vardach as the battle begun. And from within the Legate's chambers came the sound of a wooden chair skittering across the floor, no doubt flying back as the Legate himself stood suddenly, but what he would do next was unclear. The Astirax, in wicked possession of the body of a large wardog, barked once as well, showing that he, too, was now aware of the attack.

Damn... fate 'tis cruel... This silent curse passed through Aesmir's mind as he saw the events unfold before his eyes. This was not the way he would have wanted it, all things being ideal, but then it could be a lot worse. Fate dealt you cards and you played the hand you were dealt, fair or foul. At least one still had the choice of the time to show that hand. Whatever that meant. Aesmir had not the time to ponder this, though.

The time is now! his mind cried out, and his sword, 'Foe-Skewer' and its companion dagger swept up from under Aesmir's cloak. Aesmir howled a warcry as he charged for the open door to the Legate's chamber, seconds behind the lead rebel. Ghost leapt up and followed close at his master's heels. Aesmir cared very little for the orc who had blundered into the way of the door; the legate was what mattered. If the orc was stupid enough not to get of out Aesmir's way, then it was only its own fault when it tasted his steel.

Heron stayed close behind Aesmir and Ghost, but not too close. He decided that, at least for the time being, he would stay out of the orc's range. Surely they could dispatch the orc quickly enough without his help because, beyond it, the legate and that damnable dog still waited, and the legate was probably doing more than waiting. Heron drew his twin blades and made ready. Once the orc was down, he would need to be ready to rush the next room.

In the Dining Hall the Orc lept upon the table - a nice height advantage. He had his vardach out as well now, and likewise held it in such a way as to aid his defense. The rebel who had been crouched by the doorway now stood, blocking the doorway and threatening the orc with an aggressive stance. Let one Man hold off one Orc this day, and tis a trade that favors Men! thought the rebel, and the Orc seemed none too eager to charge the man through the doorway - it would hinder his long vardach, surely.

Meanwhile Jarvis, the Warrior Legate, picked up his shield with an angry cry. "Hold the entry, Orc! Hold or you shall feel my wraith as well!"

He need not have worried. He knew his job. As Aesmir charged him, the Orc fell back slightly, to a point just beyond the Legate's chamber door - only one at a time would be able to engage him, at least for a couple of seconds until the fight flowed somewhere else, as melee always did. He held his blade in a clearly defensive position.

The Astirax, in the Wardog's body, rose and moved up to the right flank of the Orc in the doorway, growling, prepared to attack the first Man to come through the door.

Angered by the greenskin's audacity, Aesmir lunged directly for the orc's heart. The orc, his cruel vardach blade swung down from its high guard, shrieked his battlecry. He was intent upon dashing Aesmir's sword aside and hacking into him.

A lesser man would have surely been cleaved in two by such a fercious counter, Aesmir simply caught the orc's war-maddened eyes momentarily with his own cold glare, and sneered at it in its own tongue. "The difference between you and me, Orc - I live and die free! You are just going to die."

With that Aesmir flicked his sword out of the vardach's path an instant before the clash of steel on steel, and stepped neatly aside to let the cleaver swing past him as he then twitched 'Foe-Skewer' back into a second thrust. As the orc's weapon smashed into the floor there was a howl of pain as Aesmir stuck the sentry between the ribs. The thrust drew blood, and was wrenched from the wound with a sickening tug from Aesmir. Panting and in obvious pain, the orc gaped in horror at its open wound, stunned. Aesmir swung his sword in again in a roundabout motiod. Stunned, the orc offered no defense as Aesmir neatly lopped its head from its body.

Standing over his fallen foe, Aesmir shouted aloud to everyone, "See how you who follow the Shadow are truly alone? We who fight for freedom at least have each other! Now with me, Men!"

With that he raised his sword more and charged into the room. The orc twitched slightly in a pool of blood to the side where it had landed, but Aesmir's charge was halted by the intervention of the Legate's wardog Astirax. The animal growled and moved in deliberate, intelligent fashion, placing himself enough in the way of the doorway that charging fully into the room would not be possible.

The rebel in the doorway to the dining hall stood in a clearly defensive stance. The other rebel moves up beside Aesmir, prepared to charge in should he get the chance. Hargeld and his other man remained in the back, ready to reinforce whatever needed reinforcing. Heron held his ground - he could not charge the legate, as the door was still blocked by the legate's dog. Aesmir had fared well so far, and Heron felt no reason to intervene - not that there was room for him to join the fray yet.

Jarvis shook his head and glared at Aesmir, his eyes barely containing the rage seemed to seep tangibly from the tainted Man. "You pathetic little rat! How dare you assult your better. Now you will burn under the hatred of shadow!" Jarvis pointed a hand at Aesmir and began to chant words of magical power. "Het branden haat van Schaduw!"

The astirax stayed in the doorway, dropping low and getting ready to avoid any attack sent his way.

Aesmir charged, intending to cleave the Legate's wardog and roll right over him. The wardog seemed to grin, then, and moved with an unnatural intelligence. Suddenly its defensive posture was gone, and the thing was a blur, charging up low at Aesmir's upper left leg. Having no defense to offer, Aesmir was caught on the hip, and the crunch of bone was clearly audible despite the noise of battle. The warm, wet slick that spread through his trowsers quickly showed that the blood loss was no small matter.

Aesmir lashed out, the shock of the sudden bite taking some of the power out of his now-wild swing, but the blade came down near the base on the top of the wardog's head, slicing half of it off in a diagonal line from above the left eye and passing down to exit through his right lower jaw. The floor was slick now with blood - his and the animal's.

Aesmir turned to look at the Warrior Legate, a grin spreading on his face. "Now it is your..."

His words were cut off by a sudden flash of pain. Agony. He was hot. Then burning. Then boiling. Blood poured then from his very pores, and he fell, spinning. The last thing he saw before his eyeballs exploded was Heron and the nearest of the rebel warriors writhing on the ground as well, screaming.

Or was that his own scream? He wondered this briefly, just before his heart exploded. He wondered nothing, ever again, for the spell of the Legate had boiled his very blood in a flash, leaving him and two companions smouldering and oozing, skin crackled open from the extreme and sudden pressure of vaporized blood.

-------------------------------

Ghost, the wardog companion, charged in over the bodies of the rebel, his master and the other wandering fighter, over the corpse of the Legate's wardog, and leapt for the Legate's throat, determined to protect his master. The legate, however, was now on fire - not real fire, but a magical flame that left him completely unaffected, yet charred the flesh of the dog immediately on contact.

Still, the faithful hound got the legate on the shoulder, bowling him over. As the dog lay twitching, dying from its horrible burns, Hargeld and another rebel burst immediately into the room and fell upon the Legate, the speed of the waves of attacking rebels overwhelming the Legate's defenses. The warrior's axe took Jarvis in the neck, the wound almost certainly fatal, but the magical flames burned him as well. He fell back, screaming, before passing out from the pain, but Hargeld saw nothing of this.

Instead, Hargeld thrust his blade down, piercing the now-prone Jarvis in the neck. The magical flames did not reach up far enough along his longer weapon to injure Hargeld as they had the axe wielder, however. In moments, the Legate was no more.

Turning to the one remaining rebel, who came in cautiously after dispatching the orc in the dining hall with nothing more than a scratch on his leg to show he'd been fighting, Hargeld nodded. "It is done, my friend. At such cost! But this day we count a victory. I can only pray to my grandfather's spirit that we have enough men left. Come, let us see upon the status of the ambush at the Orc barracks."

The two men moved quickly and carefully out of the house, and made their way to rejoin the rest of their men.

Emiricol

Main Scene, Winter 99, Last Age

Carith's blade fell from his hand almost as soon as the Fell hit the ground, and his body followed not long after. The rush of the fight gone, the pain in his leg was more than he could handle, leaving him gritting his teeth and trying to stay concious.

In his mind, memories began to swirl, mixed in with the pain. Memories of Alyea, the village he had stayed in. Happy memories, his only happy memories. And then the darker memories came; his time spent as a soldier of the shadow, countless raids into the forest in Izrador's service, and then the ambush.

Carith had already begun to slip into unconciousness when the hawk, Whisper, landed on a tree near him. As there minds slowly merged Carith drew upon the beast's strength and propped himself up up one one arm, calling "Thrayn, Thrayn where are you?"

Carith's voice brought Thrayn back from his odd reverie. Voices calling his name echoed still in his mind as he let the magic cloaking him slip away. Thrayn breathed heavily, his exhaled air blowing on the dead man's back. Absently he wiped his blades on the corpse's coat and slid them into their sheathes.

"I am here," Thrayn said, not yet looking at Carith as he stepped away from the body, letting his weight carry him to a heavy landing. This place reeks of the Shadow's stink. The dead rise not only on this Earth.

Thrayn's eyes continued to drift back to the woman's body. Was she pale? White skin, hair? Was that the slender point of an ear poking through bloodied tresses? Her head turned to him, the face of his cousin, broken and blooded. "Thrayn, Thrayn where are you?" He clamped his eyes shut and then forced them open when he could take it no more. There she lay, again human and quite dead, the misty and troubling memory fleeing from his vision. He turned away and looked at Carith laying grimacing on the ground. "You were hurt."

Their conversation was interrupted by heavy thumping, trampling through the woods, and bursting forth from the brushes and undergrowth came Rongald with Dornhild not far behind, axes at the ready. "Master Thrayn, Master Carith!" Rongald exclaimed with concern.

Dornhild exclaimed, "Elf, the human is bleeding badly! I wager a Tusk that he can not walk far without long rest and the cutting of a healer, or the execution of Fey talents in the realm magical." Despite his concerned tone, Dornhild's expression showed he might prefer the former than the latter.

Rongald glanced to the decapitated man and his dead woman, and without a grunt or word, set to likewise decapitate her body, a grim scowl on his face. "More Fell. Shadow curse them, but they are everywhere in the border regions between Fey and Orc."

Dornhild meanwhile kneeled near Carith. Easy, master Carith. Rest." He glanced then to Thrayn, ready to set about binding the wound should the Fey prove as unreliable as his opinion of the elder race might dictate. His feelings were written like carvings upon his face.

Thrayn matched Dornhild's gaze and breathed in deeply as he did so. A cool wind whipped about him in a sudden whirl, tossing leaves up about his legs. He could feel the warm rush of arcane energies flood back into his sytem. As the bizarre wind died down in but a moment, he walked over to Carith and knelt down. What was left of the wind blew several leaves past Thrayn's face as he reached forward and traced a pattern of healing runes in the air, his hand descending to touch Carith's savaged and ruined hip. The dying wind picked up once again, suddenly, and a sharp chill ran through Elf and Man alike, accompanied by a muffled, crunching pop as Carith's femur slid back into its joint. The pain was exquisite, but lasted only moments as the torn flesh sealed under the cooling touch of Thrayn's magic.

Thrayn stood and once again locked eyes with Dornhild, this time for only a moment. "Let's return to the camp. Rongald, take what is of use from the bodies - let at least that part of them continue to aid the fight."

Rongald nodded and set to patting down the bodies. He hooked the man's axe to his belt and went about his task as Thrayn started to walk back to thier camp.

With Dornhild's aid Carith slowly stood up from the ground and, repalcing his blade in its sheath, walked slowly back to the camp. His wound was healed but the memory of the pain was all to fresh in his mind, and the chill left from the healing magics made the joint stiff for some time after.

Once the small group arrived back at their camp Carith approached Thrayn as he sat next to the fire. "Thank you. If not for your presence that Fell would have killed me without much trouble, and if not for your healing ability the wound to my leg would not have healed in time to be of any use to the village we travel to, if ever. I know I am all ready greatly in your debt, but I would ask one more thing of you; if you are willing to teach, I would learn the art of sorcery. As you have seen, I have the power within me well beyond most Humans, but I lack any sort of training, and with out that I fear I may prove this gift more of a curse than a blessing, out beyond these trees. I know this is a great gift I ask of you, and many who start down this path never finish, but I am not one of those. I will do whatever I can to oppose the Shadow, no matter the costs to me."

Paying no heed to the conversation at hand, Rongald unceremoneously dumped what little gear the man and woman had in a pile before the fire, then retreated to the safety of the far side - away from Carith and Thrayn, discreetly giving them their privacy. In the pile gleamed a large dagger and an axe, as well as the woman's silver armband, and a leather beltpouch. The rest was unsalvageable out here, under thier circumstances.

Rongald sat slowly next to Dornhild and nodded at the fire. "You never fought the Fell before, my friend?" There was no sound of recrimination to his voice, and the other Norther merely shook his head slowly, staring into the glow of the fire. Rongald continued, "They always unnerve me as well. Master Thrayn is not troubled by them for his own reasons, but I never walk away without fighting the urge to unleash my last meal - just raw nerves."

Dornhild nodded slowly, and after too many seconds, replied softly, "I have burned many a fallen friend and more enemies, and done more preparations than I can count," referring to the ritual decapitation of the dead that prevented the dead from Rising. "But never have I fought one. That... man. He was destroyed. His body, I mean. Carith and the Elf had cut that... thing... up enough to drop any three Men. And yet he kept coming, and nearly killed Carith by the looks of it. I should like it very much if I never had to witness one of the Fell again. Much more so if I never have to fight one in this lifetime."

It was Rongald's turn to nod thoughtfully. "By my Grandfather's spirit I hope you get your wish. That we all get your wish." It was some minutes of comfortable silence before Dornhild arose once more, grabbing up his spear and shield and then settling down under his cloak to try to rest.

Carith and Thrayn continued to talk quietly amongst themselves, lost in a conversation of their own. Thrayn sat and stared into the fire as Carith spoke, barely nodding in recognition of his thanks. Another sorcerer and in his debt no less. Admittedly the idea was intriguing, and the human had shown abilities that even he could learn from. But there were the hours, the impatience of a mortal, and also the fact that in any circumstance the man would take the secrets to his eventual grave, being mortal after all. But that too, was a benefit of sorts. More than any other thing, the fact that he would need help to do what was needed to travel in human lands pressed his answer. He looked up at Carith and after a long silence, spoke.

"I will teach you. I will spare what time I have and you in return will spare yours when asked. There is work to be done and you cannot help me as you are." He stood and started to walk over toward the piled goods that Rongald had brought back. He called over his shoulder as he crossed the camp, "Rest, for tomorrow we start. This camp shall be our home for a short time to come."

When he reached the pile of things brought from the dead, he squatted down and sifted through the pile. The silver armband was a good fit for his own arm and he slid it on over the sleeve of his shirt and nestled it against the higher, golden band on his right arm. He tossed the axe and knife aside, the two Dornmen could put them to use. The last he took was the pouch. He opened it and leaned toward the fire to better see what lay inside.

Within the pouch lay three things. A braided bit of horse hair in the form of a ring, of the type sometimes used by the Dorn to show an intention to marry - they were exchanged with one another at some family ceremony.

Also within lay a small feather wrapped in twine. Although crudely done, it was probably a human charm. These were virtually mass produced by the Fey, but were relatively rare among the humans. This one bound the essence of a raptor. A talon might improve one's swordplay, but the feather would be used to gift the one who removed the string with the sight of a hawk - to see great distances with clarity, but only for a couple seconds. A minor charm at best.

Finally, there lay a single Oruk tusk, probably all the wealth the couple had possessed aside from the armbands.

Carith nodded as Thrayn went to work and then moved over to his blanket and lay down before the fire. The training will be difficult to say the least, but in the end what I gain will be more than worth it; perhaps at last I will have enough power to truely oppose the shadow.

=======================

The following days were hard ones. Long hours were spent describing the rudimentaries of moving arcane energies with thought and word. Teased hints were given and frustrated words exchanged between the two sorcerors as Thrayn pushed Carith to discover answers on his own rather than giving them away without work. The two Dornlanders watched at times, but mostly kept to the camp away from the frightening goings on being held just out of earshot in the thicker woods.

Many days passed this way, even unto the end of Winter, until finally some hint that the hard-tought lessons had borne fruit came to light.

Carith stood in the middle of a grove of trees. His eyes where closed and his hands were extended out before him. Slowly his hands moved back and forth, tracing cryptic patterns in the air attempting to unlock arcane energy. As his hands traced the patterns, Carith spoke, keeping his voice clear and even as he began to cast his spell, "Re....go.....Her...." .

"No, no, no! I said "clear" - that doesn't have to mean slowly! And remember the accents. How you say each word is almost more important than the word its self. Now try it again," called Thrayn from one end of the clearing.

Carith shook his head, muttered a few curses under his breath and then extended his hands once again. Tracing the symbols he begins to speak again. "Rego Herbam!" he shouted, breaking the silence of the clearing and releasing a small stream of magic energy. Opening his eyes, Carith glanced around the clearing looking for the effect of his spell, but he felt it first. The grass around his feet had reached up to grab him by the ankles, and he saw a pair of branches from the nearest arch down to wrap around his arms, holding him fast. As Carith struggled agains the poorly aimed spell, Thrayn simply nodded and said, "Better," before he walked back to their small camp, leaving Carith alone in the woods.

Gideon

First Post
I really like this story hour. Your painting of charachters is impressive. I think it comes from the details that are slid into a sentence. Your painting of the scenery is likewise excellent. I don't feel like I am slogging through descriptions (last of the mohicans) while still having the world's feel created in 3-D. I am not familiar with the Midnight setting but now I am at least interested in finding out some more.

Emiricol

Thanks a lot, Gideon. Especially considering the poor spellcheck job I did with the last posts :) This is a writeup version of a play-by-post game conducted over at www.trosforums.com, so I do get a lot of help with the writing. Normally I do a better job smoothing it out though.

Anyway, I've always loved the Midnight setting. You can find out more at http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/midnight.html, and there's a lot of flavor-related information at www.againsttheshadow.org as well.

If I've done anything worthy in my writing, it's only because the setting inspires it. Demands it, really.

Thanks again for slogging through this story hour :)

Remove ads