• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Of Foxes in Holes

Don Ventresca

First Post
As (I have) previously stated, I am making a Ben 10 campaign setting. While working on the world which for now will be called the (amazingly) stereotypical name of Galaxia. In Galaxia, plains don't really exist in the same sense as in (your typical) D&D. they are more like Planets.

I was working on the home (plain) planet of the vulpimancers (wildmutt), when I was had to questions, what would an environment, very similar to the giant steps from Narnia be? Or in my case, a giant trench, with small nest like holes tunneling through it and ending up on the other side of the (plain) planet. (Or who knows, maybe even other (plains) planets?)

2nd, I was filling this world with wildlife when lo and be hold, there isn't a creature entry for a fox. Would the wolf work, or do i need to make something knew?

Marred_Bard

First Post
Also, in Sandstorm they suggest that you use the small dog stats in the Monster Manual for Jackals, and I would say that the same could hold true of Foxes.

Also, I know it's asinine, but the proper homophone is 'plane' for what you are describing: a flat dimensional form or a level of consciousness/existence. What you wrote is something else altogether. Sorry, just bothers me. X(

Last edited:

Marred_Bard

First Post
Oh, in that case, I don't know if you're interested, but since I prefer options, I'll post the Arctic Fox stats.

small animal
HD: 1d8-1 (3 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 40 ft (8 squares)
AC: 15 (+1 size, +3 dex, +1 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-6
Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d4-2)
Full Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d4-2)
Space/Reach: 5' / 5'
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, Scent
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +5, Will +1
Abilities: Str 6, Dex 17, Con 8, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 6
Skills: Hide +6*, Listen +4, Spot +4, Survival +1**
Feats: Alertness, Weapon Finesse
Environment: Cold Plains
Organization: Solitary or Pair
CR: 1/4
LA: -
Advancement: -

The arctic fox is a native of the tundra. In winter time, its white coat helps it blend in with its environs.

COMBAT

Arctic foxes avoid combat with any creature larger than themselves.
Scent (Ex): An arctic fox can detect an opponent if they are within 30 feet (60 if upwind, 15 if downwind). The exact location is not revealed unless the creature is within 5 feet. (**- applies +4 to Survival when tracking by scent)

Skills: *- in areas of snow, ice or tundra, an arctic fox gains a +8 racial bonus on Hide checks (total +14).

In order to adapt this for say, red foxes, I would make them the following modifications:

Hide +4
Survival +3*

Skills: Red foxes get a +4 racial bonus on Survival checks to throw a pursuer off their trail.

This way, a Red Fox attempting to escape a pack of hunting dogs would have a +7 modifier against their +5, just enough to account for the animal's legendary cunning without negating a well-bred pack's ability to track it down (with Aid Another). Hope that helps, and good luck!

EDIT: P.S.- Sorry, but I haven't read Narnia very recently... can you explain what you're looking for more clearly?

Don Ventresca

First Post
Thank you for the stats (and opinions) I'll test the creature in my current campaign. Though, I'm not sure how many people will want to kill a fox ... (1 or 2 of wilderness lovers in may not like it, but meh)

As for the Environment. it's like a big trench that slowly goes into the ground, then either,

1. Stops

or

2. Makes a sort of labyrinth, then comes up by the ocean.

But in side of the trench, there are tunnels all over the "walls" of the trench-maze, and these tunnels lead to who knows where. (I'm thinking to other locations in the Plane.)

Edit: Tadah, now presenting, the red fox!

RED FOX

Small animal
HD: 1d8-1 (3 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 40 ft (8 squares)
AC: 15 (+1 size, +3 dex, +1 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-6
Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d4-2)
Full Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d4-2)
Space/Reach: 5' / 5'
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, Scent
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +5, Will +1
Abilities: Str 6, Dex 17, Con 8, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 6
Skills: Hide +4, Listen +4, Spot +4, Survival +3*
Feats: Alertness, Weapon Finesse
Environment: Temperate Plains
Organization: Solitary or Pair
CR: 1/4
LA: -
Advancement: -

The arctic fox is a native of the tundra. In wintertime, its white coat helps it blend in with its environs.

Combat
Scent (Ex): A red fox can detect opponents within 30 feet by sense of smell. If the opponent is upwind, the range increases to 60 feet; if downwind, it drops to 15 feet. Strong scents, such as smoke or rotting garbage, can be detected at twice the ranges noted above. Overpowering scents, such as skunk musk or troglodyte stench can be detected at triple normal range. (*Survival becomes +6 to Survival when tracking by scent)
Skills: Red foxes have a +4 racial bonus on Hide and Survival checks.

Last edited:

Remove ads