Of Wealth and Taste

Boddynock

First Post
"That is not acceptable. By those terms, we might never be paid - for I assume that the sage will one day die of old age, if nothing else. Pay us by the month and I am content. But give us some idea of what constitutes an end to our term of service - for assuredly, I have other tasks to perform, and a contract too open-ended is not to my taste."

"Of course, an expression of trust, such as an advance of the first week's payment, would encourage me to feel more easy about our agreement."

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
"A good bit of work this is. I'm in. Though I must say I'm going to be a bit embarrassed. I wrote a contract with a shopkeeper to trade my skills at psionic tattooing for the eventual purchase of a most fascinating hourglass..." Vestra says, blushing a bit.

Eluvan

First Post
Arilleus nods in polite acceptance of Dante's objection. "Very well," he muses. "You make a valid point. It would be only proper to set more precise terms. You must understand, though, that in that case I will require reassurances. If I agree to pay you weekly and we have no other arrangement, I have no security, no guarantee that I will retain your services when I need them. There would be nothing - barring your own sense of decency, of course..." he smiles dryly at that - "to prevent you from taking payment for your first term of service and then leaving to pursue other interests. That would be disastrous, for it is vital that Irithan is protected for as long as he is threatened.

"Therefore, I would propose this; I will pay you weekly, in the manner of your choosing. However, you will agree to remain in my service until such a time as I believe you are no longer needed. You may leave my service prematurely only by giving me advance notice. Upon giving me this notice you will remain in my service for as long as it takes me to find replacements; a period not less than two weeks, but not more than four.

"To protect the interests of all concerned, I would suggest a formal contract be drawn up and signed using those terms, if we are all in agreement? I would also require some kind of security down payment, a deposit to ensure that you honour the terms of your service. I apologise for such vulgar lack of trust, but you must understand that decency and honesty are not qualities that one can rely on finding in everbody they do business with. One must take precautions against their absence, however strongly it may go against the grain..."

Boddynock

First Post
"Hmm, you are not an easy man to work with. Very well. I, for one, will accept your offer of weekly pay, with not less than two and not more than four weeks' service after notice of termination of contract. As to the advance, why, I suggest that our first week's wages be held by a mutually agreed upon, reliable, independent arbiter, with any expenses for the arbiter's services to be shared equally between us all. They can then be paid over to us at the termination of our contract."

"What say you?"

Synchronicity

First Post
Davian Immersmere

Davian grins a little as the bartering flicks back and forth, offering nothing to the discussion. His eyes flit around the carriage in an almost aimless fashion, noting the contents of the conveyance. 'Well, you're a coy one, sir Arilleus. What darks do you keep so close, I wonder?' Upon the agreement of terms, he springs to his feet and sketches a half-bow to Arilleus. "Aye, the jink's agreeable, and the terms that come with it. You have my services, for the present at least."

Eluvan

First Post
"Wonderful," Arrileus says in mellifluous tones, savouring every syllable and making the word into a bold line drawn under the previous conversation. "I will, of course, need some time to have a contract written up. What say we meet once more tomorrow, at which point we will take care of the last formalities, and I will then answer any final questions you may have, and you can begin. Does that suit? I have a busy schedule, but I am certain I shall be able to make room in it for our meeting tomorrow, so if any of you have a time and a place you would prefer do speak up. Otherwise we can simply schedule it for it the same time and place as today."

Boddynock

First Post
"Why meet in the same place again? This carriage is quite distinctive - and it may be that it attracts too many eyes. Does anyone have rooms where we could meet? If not, I know of a place - although not the finest of inns, their Arborean wine is eminently drinkable, and I'm sure I can book a room for a day or two. It's the Ubiquitous Wayfarer in the Lower Ward. What say you? Shall we meet there, or elsewhere?"

"Whatever we decide, I would like to spend some time with my new companions. It makes sense for us to get to know one another's abilities a little better. Would you join me this evening for a bottle or two of that same Arborean?"

Ferrix

Explorer
"I think that would be a fine selection for a meeting place, carriages really can get quite dull, that and the lack of Sinkers will make for a more entertaining time." This comment is followed with a cursory glance out the window, then he continues, "I might even be tempted to purchase a round for those willing to attend this evening."

Remove ads