• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Off to War [IC]

Zerith

First Post
[FONT=&quot]Alexander had chosen to join the irregulars with the clam of finding personal glory without the benefits of his sir name; something he has used on a few occasions to avoid the more, unpleasant, activities around camp. When he first joined the group, not very long ago, he more or less filibustered the commanding officer before the man had a chance to even ask why he was there. Alexander told the officer why he was there, and also said, in numerous words and a around about way, that he would obey orders so long as doing so would not either end unquestionably in death or be demeaning and ended with “In short, I won’t fight a dragon face to face nor will I clean out the stables, However, I will fallow reasonable recommendations.” throughout the exchange monologue, through his tone of voice, he covertly mocked himself using his title for his advantage. An effort to show that he did not take himself to seriously, unlike the cliché noble brat who demands everything on silver platters.

And since joining, he has found himself very bored, of his the few assignments to date almost nothing of note has happened; there was one bridge with a weak beam that startled his horse while he was bid to patrol. And because of this, his plans have hit unforeseen delays due to the lack of controversy to overcome.[/FONT]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Fallon looks up from his nap and seeing Gareth returning so soon (or was it later than he thought) he gets a worried look.

"What, what is it?" he asks than sees the mangled arm of the gnoll. "Oh my you shouldn't... ummm bring him over here. Sit him down see if you can get him to sit for me."

Meanwhile Alexander is enjoying his reprieve from boring tedious work to just sitting around being bored. He had tied his horse to a tent stake and was sitting on a large piece of fire wood just about to plan out his next masterful speech when his thoughts are interrupted.

"Hey you iggot!" a voice from behind declares roughly. "Your not suppose to have animals away from the horselines."

Alexander turns to see two men dressed in uniforms of Lord Bairn's regular army, their white tabards displaying the blue bear large on the front.

Spade

First Post
Gareth blinked for a moment, puzzled about whatever it was he 'shouldn't have done' before shrugging it off and motioning for the wolf-man to take a seat so Fallon could patch him up.

"You could have warned me that 'Big Beasty' was a three-headed lizard-fish thing that likes to play peak-a-boo in the river." The teenager commented, flinching slightly as he took a seat himself thanks to the bite on his shin, setting his shield and trident down next to him. He wasn't actually mad, though, his tone leaning more towards friendly banter than irritation.

Tenderly, the red head rolled up one of the legs of his pants to examine the wound.

[sblock=OOC]Do I need to make any kind of check just to see how bad it looks, or is "you can clearly see it" stuff no check required?[/sblock]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
[sblock=OOC] You clearly see it looks like 3 HP dmg. :p [/sblock]

The wolf-man takes a seat on the ground next to Gareth and Fallon heads to the back of the wagon. A moment later the older man comes back with a healer's kit and the younger is looking at the bite mark on his leg.

"Hmmm... looks trivial but, but painful,"
Fallon says kneeling down and then placing a hand on Gareth's leg. A soft glow forms under the old man's hand and Gareth feels a warm sensation before seconds later the pain is gone. Looking at his leg all signs of the wound are gone. "There," Fallon says turning to the gnoll.

He scoots closer and suddenly the big wolf-man backs away and starts growling. Fallon lifts his hands and the gnoll start barking out something in it's tongue no one understands.

"I was afraid, afraid of this. Gnolls are very superstitious." he says with a frown. "And I don't know, know the language to convince him I won't take, take his soul away. Where is Martomum when, when you need him."

[sblock=OOC] Please wait till Zerith posts I wish to play back and forth to keep the two of you close to the same time line. Once he replies and I reply back to him than it will be back to you to post, than me reply, then Zerith, me etc. Any question through them in the OOC thread and keep your Duet thread in your subscriptions in case it is needed. Thanks.[/sblock]

Zerith

First Post
[sblock=OoC] Sorry about taking so long, but I was in town for once ^^; [/sblock]

‘iggot? The nerve…’ Alexander thought while standing up, if they had just informed him that he should have had his, personal, mount at the horseline that would have been one thing, but to take an insulating tone and refer to him by a name not his own? They had just forfeited a few moments of their own time that he was going to take in retribution for their trespassing ignorance.

He stood up, to no small stature, and leered down at the duo. “A dandy day to ye as well! Also, you mean ‘you’re’ as in ‘you are being rude’ not ‘your’ as in ‘you have an over blown sense of urgency.’ But maybe we should start with introductions?” he spoke with an energetic and completely undaunted tone as he dusted off the top of his black and gold mantel. He was grinning with a smugness reserved for only the most pompous of nobility; the two could probably feel the potential migraine that would doubtlessly form if they pestered him much longer, if he did not talk there ear around the camp first, he had nothing better to do at the moment, and he was going to make them aware of it for the next few moments.

I am Lord Alexander J. Ravensworth the forth, and I’m under the impression that I was just insulted by a solder for having my own personal mount at the ready in case I need to make hast elsewhere? No, that can’t be right; that would be mad… I must have just misheard two solders giving me a polite reminder of where horses are generally kept.” He rambled on while grinning, giving them more than a mere hint of his teeth, which were oddly sharp from the canines and back. He then glared at them with his gold inset black eyes, which he narrowed so that the light simply faded from them. “Oh, how rude of me! What are your names?” he ended.

Honestly, he did not care who they were, and would not really care if one, even both of them, turned out to be lords as well(note likely at all to Alexander, a lord would likely not take such minor matters so seriously); it was a trifling matter and even if they were in a position to discipline him, they would have to go a ways out of their way to rise an inquiry before he could be punished, and he would then trample them under foot: he could not think of one noble that liked to be summoned for such a diminutive manner, by any odds he would have the duo lose favor, win or lose. And if by some off chance he was punished, it would be a slap on the wrist so weak it would not bend the fabric of his shirt. And any one able to discipline him would know full well how frustratingly painful it would be to do anything to him over such a small thing. He knew it and he was grinning like a hawk; they either had to eat their own words, or back them up, pull him to a personage of authority enough to issue a punishment onto him in place of his father and then be more convicting then he was; all but imposable in his mind. ‘Actually, that could be amusing!’ he thought smugly, his grin deepened and one could feel the laughter pouring out of his eyes. He was bored, and the two gave him something to do, but if they only acted on their initiative…

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"Well sorry your highness," the smaller of the two men said mockingly. "But we are under orders to help keep everyone's high horse at the picket lines. Lord Dellex also has us patrolling the iggots camp to help with discipline, cleanliness, and most important of all laziness. So... do you have a work assignment or would you like my friend Jaxs here to give you something to do."

Jaxs was in fact not only bigger than the other solider he was bigger than most two men would be put together.

Spade

First Post
Gareth blinked, having been unaware Fallon could do that. He stretched his leg curiously, any hint of the injury now gone. Well that was certainly handy, wasn't it?

The wolf-man didn't seem as impressed, however, as he started barking and Fallon explained that wolf-men - Apparently known as Gnolls - were superstitious. For some reason that struck him as amusing, but he managed to focus on the situation at hand.

"Whoa, relax." Gareth said, attempting to sound calming since the Gnoll wouldn't understand the words.

How was he supposed to tell the Gnoll that his soul was fine with just gesturing? He never was all that good at charades... For a moment he sat there scratching the side of his head in contemplation, before deciding he wouldn't even bother with that kind of complicated message.

Instead, he pointed at the Gnoll's injured arm, then at Fallon, then at his own now-healed shin in an attempt to explain what the old man was going to do.

Zerith

First Post
Alexander had a brief mental ego pop, he forgot the nickname of the unit he was in.. Embarrassing, but all the same not something he was about to admit wither openly or though mannerism, not to say he would not admit he made a mistake, but he did so dislike having to humble himself. ‘Lovely, the only time you can count on a present to be intelligent is when he is against you…’ Alexander thought while letting out a sigh as his grin suitably faded away, he held back a murmur before he spoke again… How he loathed apologizing for lapses in memory.

If his honor code allowed him to, he could have easily kept a straight face, complied and been off without a word… instead he had to admit he was mistaken, his façade cracked; it was painfully joyfully obvious that he was finding no amusement in what he was about to say, or that he shoved himself into a situation where he needed to say it. Alexander’s grin, what was left of it tugged into a cracked, twitching smile. “Well then…” he began with a feigned pleased mood, if not for his tried expression he might have come off as still amused.

Alexander passed briefly, breathed in through his teeth and then exhaled through his nose. “…It would seem, that for the new few moments I shall simply be a, nay, the lord of buffoons…” he continued as he clenched his pearly teeth as if to grind them to gather… “…Please accept my humble apology for my mishearing, also, Now that my ego is amply deflated… I believe I have a horseline to go to…” He had entirely given up hiding that he disliked having to humble himself by this point, and wished simply to get it over with. “…Have a… Dandy, day…” he finished.
He then swiftly, but with all the elegance he could muster at the time, untied the horse and started guiding it towards the horselines while murmuring beneath his breath about not believing he could be stupid enough to forget such a simple moniker, if one of the solders, who Alexander was then utterly ignoring in case of guttural laughter, bothered to keep an eye on him as he walked, in a stomping manner, away, they would have seen him club himself in the side of his head once with his fist in frustration. He did so loath getting anything wrong, and to get simple things wrong was doubly loathsome.

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
The gnoll just sniffs at Gareths leg and starts again to bark.

"He must, must be trying to tell us something."
Fallon says perplexed. "But we will need someone that speaks his language and I have no, no idea who that could be."

As Alexander heads off he can feel the two soilders eyes on him. "Hey iggot!" the smaller talkative shoulder says before the two men reach where the young nobleman had stopped in his tracks.

"Good your going to put your horse up." he says continuing. "But that still doesn't answer my question about if you have some work to do or not."

Zerith

First Post
Alexander span on his left heal and faced the two; to think just a moment ago he figured he was going to be pestering them… “Hmm? …Oh, presently; no.” Alexander replayed in a bland manner while recovering his mood; his once wide eyes had became hooded by his eyelids with indifference. “So, what is it you are going to ask me to do?” he continued boredly, his hope for some excitement was already dashed and his mood soiled by a painful slip of his own thoughts.

He would have been annoyed that they were going to make him do something if his apology hap flapped them, but since it seemed his reaction gave them nothing they did not seem the kind to try and saddle him with random and or frivolous work to pad their own egos. And that, thinking back on it, they, he, asked if Alexander had any work, meaning whatever they, he, was about to ask was not an official order and that he could refuse to do it if he so wished, and he was still willing to find something to do other then spend his time walking to the horseline and all the annoyances that came with it.

Alexander added a mental not to his list of things to do: get a more conveniently placed horseline for the “iggot” camp, doing so would mean more leg work from the stable boy, or who ever it was who got to clean up after the horses.... He was temped to make use of his trezery to hire sutch a worker just so he would not have to walk as far coming to or from his horse, but that would hardly be right with the rules he had set with himself... rules could be aggravating sometimes... still, if they're not there they can't be bent to one's will.
But atop the present list of things he wanted to do sooner than latter: get the name “iggot” revoked, destroyed, and replaced… he was not found of the moniker, at all. ...he relay had no clue how the name came to be, and it always sounded like a blatant insult to his ear... sadly for him, he doughted such a change was plausible.

Remove ads