Off To War... Recriutment/Discussion

Myth and Legend

First Post
Sure, it does what i described, more or less:

[sblock=Militia (regional)]Your people rely on well-trained and well-armed militia to defend their land. You're no stranger to the use of weapons.

Prerequisite: Half-Elf (Aglarond), Halfling (Luiren), or Human (Altumbel, the Dalelands, Impiltur, Samarach, Thindol, Turmish)

Benefit: You gain proficiency with all martial weapons.

Special: You may select this only as a 1-st level character, You may have only one regional feat.[/sblock]

I'm glad you liked Lora's story. I wanted a deep, hard to RP character, and this concept just came to me. I will polish it and add some more detail in the RG post. Where is the RG link by the way? Also, can you please list all house rules in your first post on page 1? So far i know i have to be human and add +2 skills/level, and gain a free 2/2 feat. Anything else?

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Character Generation :

So far I have this-

Starting lvl 1- The PC's are commoners/tradesmen not yet in the lords upper circle but through their exploits they may come to join or lead note:I am going to use a special system to reward xp based on roleplay posts, completed missions, and real time passed (as per LEW- Ilike that rule) So moving up levels will be faster than usually pbp.

Generation:
1.Abilities- 35pts to buy abilities as per DmG pg 169 (The high points is two fold;1- Humans get know ability adjustment so this helps alittle and 2- the PC's will need to stand out in a crowd)
2.Class-Any
3.Race-Human (again sorry)
4.Skills- houserule please add 2pts to the base of the class you have chosen (i.e. Wizards base skill pts=4, Rogue base skill pts=10)
5.Feat- In addition to human bonus feat all players may select one +2/+2 feat for their charater (otherwise those feats will never be used and again the PC's need to stand out)
6.Equipment-Starting gold will be limited to the average listed for your class(pg 111 PhB). As the characters will be feed and provided for as they travel and when they are sent out on a mission they might recieve equipment from the quartermaster. houserule any character with ranks in Craft or Profession may make a skill check after starting gold is spent and then add that money to there leftover cash.

I believe that i am going to have to post a five kingdoms campaign thread and house rules thread as soon as i locate the right places and that is a weekend /day off job.
As long as Milita takes one of your feat slots it is alright as is.
use the above as guidelines and we will be adding the +1/2BAB to AC and you could use your +20 xp to scribe scrolls if you want

EDIT: opps for got this
http://www.enworld.org/forum/plots-places/257898-rg-off-war.html

Last edited:

Myth and Legend

First Post
+1/2BAB to AC - this probably does not concern a Wizard right :) Thank you for the bonus XP, I'm not sure what good will scrolls be, but i will think about it's use!

When i delve deeper in DnD and all the books, PrCs and rules i plan on running my own game, and will be rewarding roleplaying in a similar fashion :)

On Lora and her entry in the adventure. She is reluctant to go in to a military camp where she will remember the nightmare, and be surrounded by men. Strong, armed men no less! She ran away but the girl is exceptionally smart, so she has not charged in witlessly. My plan for her:

Take 20 on a Forgery check to counterfeit an order granting her access to the military camp and demanding asssitance by any soldiers in the army under pain of severe punishment, signed .. (well whomever is doing the recruiting). For that she will need to get her hands on a recruitment poster or some similar thing. You know, the ones nailed around town "THE ARMY WANTS YOU!". If she can see one she can get a hefty bonus: To forge a document on which the handwriting is not specific to a person (military orders, a government decree, a business ledger, or the like), you need only to have seen a similar document before, and you gain a +8 bonus on your check

The total will be 20+4(int)+8=32

So with this piece of paper she hopes to ward off any potential... suitors (provided they can read). And even extort aid if need be.

She will also take 20 on a Craft: Drawing to make a very good portrait of her brother (28 total check) to try and locate him in the camp.

What do you think about this?

Last edited:

wysiwyg

First Post
I seem to be missing the heavy updating times. That's what you get for being in a different time zone than everyone else.

I also love Lora. A really cool PC.

I think the +1/2 BAB is also a very simple & proportional feature given to all classes (and to the NPCs we'd be facing too...). Of course none of us have any AC bonus (yet) as our BAB cannot be more than +1, but it will improve. Good.

Holyman, I'm just concerned that some of the class modifications seem to overpower the PC's ito combat. A lot of class abilties that are not so frequently used and are not generally combat oriented are being exchanged for frequently used combat abilities. This makes the PC overly combat dominant. It's easy to build the ultimate warrior by discarding all the useless class abiltiies (some of them are really useless). But the question is: is it fair? The ranger and monk have 1001 class abilties, of which most/alot do not come into combat. Is it fair to replace them with combat modifiers?Also, how would you customize the fighter class for who has no class abilities to exchange?

Gotta run. Be back later.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
It will it is the parrying rule using the weapon in defense as much as your armor and nimbleness. So when you get up in lvl it will mean goblins will have a harder time getting that lucky hit in.

Heading to bed real world in the morning have fun making your character can't wait to see what you come up with.

Myth and Legend

First Post
Well I'm in the same time zone i think, i'ts 7.50 AM here and i'm going to bed too :D Also, HolyMan, please see my previous post as i just edited it with another idea i had about Lora.

wysiwyg

First Post
I'm back (from the real world/work thingy).

Anyways, as I was saying, I feel too much tinkering will result in ultra powerful superheroes. I thought of a simple solution:

1. Each PC chooses a core class (without tinkering it).
2. Choose 4 skills that will become background skills (chosen at 1st level only). These skills will always count as class skills.
3. Gain a bonus feat and +2 on the background skills for his/her adolecent period.

And that's it.

So the spartan/hunter for eaxample, can be a fighter, choose the tracking feat, and choose survival as a background skill (plus a few other skills). No extra HP, weapon focus bonus, AC bonus, uncanny dodge etc.

That's it for now. What do you think?

Walking Dad

First Post
I think no. I am/was interested in this game for it's mutability.

Your suggestion is nowhere near the character I had thought of.

And to get rid of superheroes, play E6 or ban all classes with a magic or supernatural ability.

Anyways, '3. Gain a bonus feat and +2 on the background skills for his/her adolescent period' Is just bad. A ranger can get no bonus to the survival skill, but only classes who are not having the skill normally on their skill list?

wysiwyg

First Post
I think no. I am/was interested in this game for it's mutability.?

Your suggestion is nowhere near the character I had thought of.

And to get rid of superheroes, play E6 or ban all classes with a magic or supernatural ability.

Anyways, '3. Gain a bonus feat and +2 on the background skills for his/her adolescent period' Is just bad. A ranger can get no bonus to the survival skill, but only classes who are not having the skill normally on their skill list?

There's big a difference between mutability and abuse. I feel that by overpowering the combat abilities the game balance is being compromised greatly. There is nothing worse than having a player dominate every combat.

In regards to the skills, you're right. But this could be easily changed to as follows:
Gain 4 new background skills to add to your skill list. These will always be class skills.
Gain +2 bonus on any 2 skills in your skill list (not neccessarily the background skills).

Theroc

First Post
For the most part, I'm tinkering for flavor's sake... Monk is closest, but there are quite a few things that wouldn't fit a farmboy as far as I can tell. I'm working on what those are, but I think chances are this may actually weaken the monk rather than make him stronger... but I'm not certain.

Holyman, how do you want me to present the 'Circle Fighter'(I'm thinking of trying to find a different name, since my character isn't restricted to the circle fighting to earn money.)

Do I just say what is traded, or do you want me to do the wordpad attachment with the details? (I'm not certain my format would be pretty)

Remove ads