D&D 5E Offensive touch spells

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Continual Flame targets objects. Creatures wear and hold objects. Like I said, Light cantrip targets objects, and there is specific rules for the Light cantrip when touching objects worn by hostile creatures. Those restrictions are not given to Continual Flame. As written, Light Cantrip offers a Dex save to avoid. As written, there is nothing that can be done to avoid Continual Flame.

You need to first touch the object. If it is being worn or carried then that creature will likely attempt to avoid having you do that.

Some offensive spells do have a range of touch. For example, Shocking Grasp. But sadly for my prospective chainlock, there exist very few spells with the range of touch, combat oriented or otherwise.

Custom spell research and/or spell variants to the rescue. Work with the DM to create a touch-range variant of e.g. Chromatic Orb. You're not limited to what's in the PHB--spell research has always been a part of (A)D&D.

devincutler

Explorer
You mean like:

Bigby's Probing Finger (Melee Attack Spell - causes target to jump 5' away from you)
Rashid's Offensive Gesture (Int Save or the target is forced to make their next attack against you in retaliation, disadvantage if they attack anyone else)
Dashiel's Inappropriate Touch (Melee Attack Spell - target is Feared and must run away from you, Wis save every round to end the effect.)

http://oots.wikia.com/wiki/Evan's_Spiked_Tentacles_of_Forced_Intrusion

Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion.

Negflar2099

Explorer
Don't mind me, I'm just feeling around down here for a joke about the thread title.

He wants to create a creepy old wizard who uses magic to touch his enemies. I don't see what you could possibly find funny about that. ;)

As for the original question, I would make a warlock and ask the DM to reflavor. Why can't eldritch blast be a spectral hand that slaps or punches an enemy? Add a few spells like mage hand and you're all set.

Remove ads