• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Offer] Proof Reading Services

Modoc

First Post
Good Day,

To all authors and aspiring authors, you are all aware of the need for good proof reading. I believe the general consensus is that you find an outside individual to proof read your material for spelling, grammar, and continuity. This helps to find issues that you, the author, may overlook.

So, what am I offering? I am offering to be that outside source to review your material. What makes me remotely qualified to do this? I have 20+ years gaming, both as a player and as a game master. I am a graduate student whom has written more papers that I can count.

What’s the catch? All I’m asking for is two small considerations. (1) Acknowledgment as a proof reader and (2) a copy (print or PDF) of the finial product.

If you are interested in acquiring my assistance please feel free to post here or email me at kmageau[at]sc.rr[dot]com All emails and forum inquires will be answered.

Respectfully,
Keith M. (Modoc)

Bardsandsages

First Post
Modoc said:
Good Day,

To all authors and aspiring authors, you are all aware of the need for good proof reading. I believe the general consensus is that you find an outside individual to proof read your material for spelling, grammar, and continuity. This helps to find issues that you, the author, may overlook.

So, what am I offering? I am offering to be that outside source to review your material. What makes me remotely qualified to do this? I have 20+ years gaming, both as a player and as a game master. I am a graduate student whom has written more papers that I can count.

What’s the catch? All I’m asking for is two small considerations. (1) Acknowledgment as a proof reader and (2) a copy (print or PDF) of the finial product.

If you are interested in acquiring my assistance please feel free to post here or email me at kmageau[at]sc.rr[dot]com All emails and forum inquires will be answered.

Respectfully,
Keith M. (Modoc)

You misspelled "final".

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

But otherwise, this is a rather articulate post, and I am a firm advocate for getting that second pair of eyes to look at something!

How are you with stat blocks?

Charke

Explorer
Just jumping in with my 2 cents - I love stat blocks for their efficiency. I hate editing them but I've dealt with them a lot. I have to give props to Malladin Gate's Press (Etherscope) for the checking system they asked me to use - which I've used ever since.

In word, it's black text with a yellow background in the text so that it is vividly obvious and easy to remove later. Here is an example from Broken: The Lost Moon. The only thing I've added is AC, which can get complicated with certain characters. They don't have Initiative either but it's fairly simply to check on the fly.

Common Werebear; Human Werebear 0 Commoner 1: CR 1/2; Medium-size humanoid (human/werebear); HD 1d6; hp 9; Init +0; Spd 30ft.; AC 12, touch 10, flat footed: 12; Base Atk +0; Grp +0; Atk +0 melee (1d3 20/x2 unarmed); SA —; SQ alternate form, low-light vision, scent, lunar native; AL LG; SV F+0, R+0, W+0; Str: 11, Dex 11, Con 11, Int: 10, Wis: 10, Cha: 10.
Skills and Feats: Control Shape +4, Listen +4, Spot +4; Endurance, Toughness.

[hp:1d6 =6 +3 Toughness = 9
AC: 10 +2 natural +0 Dex
BAB: +0 Commoner1
Grap: +0 BAB +0 Str = +0
Melee Atk: +0 BAB +0 Str = +0 (damage +0 Str)
Ranged Atk: +0 BAB, +0 Dex= +0 (damage)
Fort +0 C1 +0 Con = +0
Ref +0 C1 +0 Dex = +0
Will +0 C1 +0 Wis = +0]
[Skill points: 2 +1 Human= 3 x 4 (C1+3) = 12. 3 skills maxed out.
Control Shape 4 ranks +0 Wis
Listen 4 ranks +0 Wis
Spot 4 ranks +0 Wis
[Feats: level 1st/3 =0, +1 starting feat, +1 bonus human feat = 2]

Mark Charke

Modoc

First Post
Bardsandsages said:
You misspelled "final".

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

But otherwise, this is a rather articulate post, and I am a firm advocate for getting that second pair of eyes to look at something!

How are you with stat blocks?

Bardsandsages,

When I review college papers for other students and friends, I review for ease of reading, spelling mistakes, typos, and obvious omissions. I do not like to dig into the data or mechanics. That information and decision making process belongs solely to the author.

What I am proposing is to review your material for the above stated issues and report back my findings for your (or any author’s) review. I will read the material from cover to cover, accurately document my findings, and include (at authors request) recommended changes for ease of reading.

I will analyze stats blocks as well. Most mechanical aspects are relatively easy to determine. Again, when something is questionable I will make accurate notes and includes these in my findings.

In regards to OGC and OGL content, since I am not an author I may be lacking in my understanding of the legalese, but I will be looking for obvious violations of the OGL.

At the author’s request, I can submit a report of findings in any incremental way that is predetermined (i.e. by the chapter, every 15 pages, upon conclusion, etc).

I hope that sheds a little more light on the subject and answers your question. I think the bottom line comes down too, like you mentioned, a second set of eyes. Reviewers will see things you don’t because we are not intimate with the material.

Respectfully,
Keith M. (Modoc)

cleaverthepit

First Post
Editing even short texts can be an extensive and time consuming process.

(1) Acknowledgment as a proof reader and (2) a copy (print or PDF) of the finial product.

And this is all you are asking?

My question is, ARE YOU MAD? :)))))

This.... is.... SPARTA

:)

What would be your expected turn around on a 18000-22000 word manuscript?

Davis Chenault
Troll Lord Games

Modoc

First Post
Davis Chenault,

MAD??? Yeah I guess I must be.

I am trying to make a reputable name for myself within the industry and gain exposure to unique and different authors and projects. Eventually I may develop a fee schedule, but for now its only the two small requests I posted above.

I envisioned myself assisting with small projects. Would I take on an 18000+ word manuscript? Yes, I would. As far as turn around time? Honestly I have no idea. Currently I am used to working in page counts. What is the typical page count for 18-22,000 word manuscript? What have other proof readers estimated? This part of my proposal is a work (of learning) in progress.

I know this doesn’t quite answer your inquiry, but I hope this may be the start of a mutually beneficial dialog for both of us.

Respectfully,
Keith M. (Modoc)

cleaverthepit

First Post
working on 850 words a page in word at 12pt font we are looking at @25-30 pages.

our range on this is quite wide from 2 days to one month. our idea is 1 week or about 4-5 pages a day.

from what i recall, professionals can edit @1600 words an hour - but i have no idea.

davis

Treebore

First Post
I was going to say I have edited my wife's 75,000+ word count in just a day or two. Of course then she adds more, or rewrites whole chapters, and I have to read the whole blasted thing yet again. :(

Modoc

First Post
cleaverthepit said:
working on 850 words a page in word at 12pt font we are looking at @25-30 pages.

our range on this is quite wide from 2 days to one month. our idea is 1 week or about 4-5 pages a day.

from what i recall, professionals can edit @1600 words an hour - but i have no idea.

davis

Davis,

Ah, 12pt font, a nice easy read. I am going to go out on limb hear and say 3-5 pages a day does not seem overly difficult, but of course I say that now. I think there will be a learning curve on the estimations of my ability. I do have a full time job and go to school. Although I have other things on my plate, when I commit something I stick with it till the end.

Again, I look forward to coming to some arrangement with you or any other authors/organizations. Please be advised that if you email me, I can only check that email from home. Work computers have heavy firewalls.

Respectfully,
Keith M. (Modoc)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads