• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

office telco wiring

ssampier

First Post
I have a bit of a quandary. I was examining my office's telco wiring closet the other day and I was appalled how old and dusty it was. I would like to get that telco closet up to standard by replacing everything with CAT5. That way, we are prepared for VoIP or anything else that comes down the telco pipe.

As you know that is quite expensive to do so. I can wire a CAT5 cable after a few tries, more practice would be nice. What books or other sources do you recommend for a telcom wiring?

The building was built in the last 4 decades. We have a Nortel phone system and a alarm system that is wired in a janitorial closet currently. We have CAT5 wiring throughout for data. We have fiber connectivity into the building for our state funded educational network (100 mbps currently, 1 gig soon enough).

Krael

First Post
Well, one thing to start with, if you're going to redo the wiring anyway, make sure it's at least Cat5e, not Cat 5. (Preferrably go with Cat6, to at least do a bit of future-proofing. The cost between 5e and 6 is minimal these days).

Cat5 can only handle 100mb. Cat5e can handle gigabit, and manufacturers tend to recommend Cat6 for gigabit (even though 5e CAN handle it, the Cat6 specs allow it to handle more ambient interference than 5e).

I'm sure others will chime in on the other points.

Good luck! It's a lot of work, but handy skills to have in the future!

Krael

ssampier

First Post
You're right. When I wrote CAT5, I meant CAT5e, but I probably just should go with CAT6 instead. I don't plan to rewire the whole building myself, of course. I plan to rewire the closet and then see what can be done about moving the phone system and alarm system somewhere more secure.

DethStryke

Explorer
Another thing to consider are your local building fire codes. This means you will need to use Plenum cable in any fire-rated space (typically in drop ceiling areas, stairwell walls, etc.).

Tips for a good wiring job for a hobbyist or DIY'er:

1. Well terminated ends are the most important thing, as that has the largest impact on your end result.

1a. If it's punch down blocks, then all of the wires need to be well seated and not under tension.

1b.If you're talking RJ11/45 plug ends, they need to be well seated and crimped securely. If you have a problem with the plug-ends, use the EZ-Crimp kind where the wires can go through the end of the plug. This requires a special crimping tool with a razor that trims the end flush, but it can make it a bit quicker and easier.

1c. Remember that each wire is likely to be moved back and forth at the punch panels. Give a bit of slack for future techs to work with. Remember things like extra wire at the patch panel if it is on a swing arm, a few coils of extra wire at drops in the ceiling space will allow flexibility on later work, and cutting a foot longer than you need gives you "crimping/punch-down screw up room".​

2. Network Cable boots help the tension problem and are a nice, easy way of making professional looking patch cables. You can also use those to color code connections.

3. Pay attention to Sheathing. The basic concept is using a small run of pipe to make a nice transition between locations. This could be between rooms through a wall, or from a drop-ceiling space down into your wiring closet. There are straps that will secure the sheath to the wall above the ceiling line. This is also a requirement in some fire codes between certain spaces, so again - be sure to check the code requirements for your particular state, city & county.

4. Zip ties are your friend. Nothing looks better than trimmed zip ties bundling your runs together, especially when you get to the patch panel. It is VERY important to remember why a cat 5e or cat 6 is rated that way; it's how tightly the copper is twisted together. The tighter the twist results in cleaner signals, which in turn equals category. Bends, crimps and pinches are to be avoided at all possible cost. Gentle curves are king and tight zip ties are the work of the devil.

5. Spend the money on good tools. Cheap (read: Crappy) Crimping, punch down and stripping tools not only damage your work but they slow you down. It's already not a fun job - it's a horrible job when you're trying to do it on the cheap.

6. A cable signal tester is a must! Nothing is worse that doing all the work, plugging it in and realizing that you are too close to a power line and the interference has ruined a 20 cable run that limits your 1000Kbs connection to 10kbs.

7. Remember to label your wires end to end. Confusion will make the job slower.

8. Short range walkie talkies are handy when you're trying to coordinate with another person to pull, stop or start feeding your cable three floors away. Specifically ones with hands-free headsets.

9. If you're replacing existing wall jacks: Consider making every drop at least a quad-box. Many more things are using network outlets, especially printers and phones (which is the point of what you're doing). Having only 1 or 2 outlets per panel is short-sighted and a bigger pain to add to later on.

10. If you're adding new wall jacks: Remember that you want any outlets within 5' of a power outlet in general. Standard height for any outlet box (telco/network/electric) is 1'6" from finished floor to center of box. Older installations will probably be lower. #9 still applies.

11. Document and label all plugs/punch down locations! A map layout is preferred, but the least you should do is match the number at the patch panel to the wall plates.

ssampier

First Post
Fantastic advice. I'm not a very neat person, but dang-gum-it I want to do it the right the first time.

As for tools, I bought a cable tester/tone generator. My next purchase is a tone probe and a punchdown tool. What do you think are "cheap" prices for each of the tools?

At telco closet, I think I have 66 punchdown block leading to a panel where it terminates in a conduit (which I think is the telcom de-mark). I can't find another NI on the side of the building.

MarauderX

Explorer
Get a consulting service to design & install it all. If something should fail, you have someone to call or withhold the final payment for services. Plus with your experience you can troubleshoot most issues that aren't design/install related.

ssampier

First Post
I think that's the direction we are leaning to; we have a "phone guy" that we normally use. I'll probably get him to give me a bid with labor and equipment, then I'll competitive bid three other companies.

DethStryke, thanks for all your advice. It helped me think in terms of expansion. We are planning to move people around and I'm sure those tips will come in handy when we lay new cable!

ssampier

First Post
This project went on the back-burner. We moved office spaces and we intended up running new cabling to accommodate the new locations. My bosses decided to run only 2 cables per jack and use CAT5e instead of CAT6.

My wireless plan was approved so I can't say it was a total loss. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads