• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Official DMs Guild material: print vs. non-print?

Does anyone know if there's a reason only a small portion of the official material on DMs Guild is available in printed form?

I'm talking about TSR/WotC publications. There are hundreds of these available in PDF form, but only a fraction are available as print-on-demand (PoD) books. At first glance, at least, there doesn't appear to be any obvious rationale for which books are or are not available in PoD form.

For instance, ​Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II is available as a PoD softcover. I ordered it, it looks great for a PoD book, and I'd gladly buy more of the same. But all the other official Volo's Guides (to Waterdeep, Cormyr, etc.) are PDF only.

To anyone who might know: is there a reason for this situation? Might the currently-PDF-only offerings eventually be offered as PoD, or are they likely to remain PDF-only forever?

(I'm posting here rather than in the DM's Guild forum, since that appears to be oriented toward creators/sellers of "community" material, rather than toward buyers/consumers of the official material.)

thethain

First Post
I don't know but can guess:

Printing / Publishing rights to some of the materials may have been sold to another company. And until they expire (which they may not ever) WotC cannot legally allow another entity to print out the material.

Whenever things seem arbitrarily limited, Guess its either legal or money based.

darjr

I crit!
Time. They only started doing this recently and it takes time to do it. Some of them look like they get picked to support a WotC release or follow what may be popular.

They are working thier way through them. There is a thread here doing announcements.

JEB

Legend
A number of the earlier scans had some problems; they might want to redo them before they do POD releases. However, that's going to be much lower priority than the newer scans...

Remove ads