D&D General Official Lego Set for Dungeons & Dragons Coming Soon

3,745 piece set includes an adventure to run using the model

Lego announced the release of the officially licensed Dungeons & Dragons build set Dragon’s Keep: Journey’s End.

1.png

The 3,745 piece set includes a partially collapsed tower, a castle wall, and a tavern with removable roof. For characters, the set has six minifigures for a Dwarf Cleric, Gnome Fighter, Orc Rogue, Elf Wizard, and an NPC Dragonborn and Innkeeper. You’ll also build models of Cinderhowl the Red Dragon (who can also be perched on top of the tower) plus a beholder, a displacer beast, and an owlbear.

21348_alt9_webp_92.jpg

A free adventure will also be available from D&D Beyond and the Lego website on April 1st as a digital download making use of the terrain. To celebrate the release, Lego will host a live stream of the adventure with Anjali Bhimani (Ms. Marvel, Overwatch 2), Ginny Di (YouTuber and cosplayer), Luis Carazo (Candela Obscura, Outbreak: Undead Rag & Bone), Jordon Scott (LEGO Designer), and Lucas Bolt (designer of this set, see below) on April 6, 2024, at 12 noon Eastern.

21348_alt10_webp_92.jpg

The set was designed by Lucas Bolt aka BoltBuildz as part of the Lego Ideas program in a contest launched in 2022. The winner was announced in January 2023 with a preview of the set. As part of the contest, Bolt will receive 1% of net sales of the product, complimentary copies, a D&D prize package, and other considerations.

2.png

The set will be available for sale starting on April 4, 2024, for a retail price of $359.99.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

M_Natas

Hero
Colour me skeptical of this.

I certainly believe your friends still have their old childhood Lego blocks, and I believe their kids are playing with them, but I don't really believe they'll have successfully maintained them as "sets". Creative kids playing with Lego extremely rapidly destroy any attempt to keep something as a "set". A Lego set is either a collector's piece which is not played with meaningfully, or becomes "real Lego" and is broken down into its constituent parts. And for the latter, the pricing on this sort of thing isn't really reasonable for anyone outside of the top 10-15% of earners in the US, and a smaller percentage in other countries. I'm not suggesting Lego need to lower the price on a clear luxury item like this, but if you're purchasing merchandised/branded Lego sets on the basis of "generational toys", especially if you're trying to keep them together as sets, rather than letting them become blocks, I think you're kind of gaslighting yourself.
That's why you always buy two sets. One to play with and one to leave in its original packaging to put in a safe deposit box.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
That's why you always buy two sets. One to play with and one to leave in its original packaging to put in a safe deposit box.
Wait, are we still talking about Lego or are we now discussing the special cover versions of D&D books? Because I sure wish I had a few copies of the alternative cover Volo's stashed somewhere!
Footnote for anyone reading this in the future: That link went to an Ebay auction for the special cover of Volo's with a CA$600 (±US$445) price tag!

Now I am thinking about maybe we could see a LEGO: D&D magazine, like LEGO Nexus Knights (or other franchises). But here I fear the speculators.

Other point is if there are in the future videogames of LEGO: D&D, then there are total freedom to use the previous lore as source of inspiration but this shouldn't become a straight-jacket about coherence with the continuity.

e7407af00726eba93e151ff0b36f226b.jpg

M_Natas

Hero
Wait, are we still talking about Lego or are we now discussing the special cover versions of D&D books? Because I sure wish I had a few copies of the alternative cover Volo's stashed somewhere!
Footnote for anyone reading this in the future: That link went to an Ebay auction for the special cover of Volo's with a CA$600 (±US$445) price tag!
Unopened Lego Sets in Mint Condition can have similar increases in value.

According to Brickeconomics the retail value of all sets is around 400k while the resell value is around 2200k. So on average a Lego set gains 450% resell value (unopened, mint condition).
That's some very solid investing - but my wife still doesn't allow me to put our life savings into Lego Sets :/

Of course you have some sets than don't gain value and some that gain more.

Remove ads

Remove ads