D&D General Official Lego Set for Dungeons & Dragons Coming Soon

3,745 piece set includes an adventure to run using the model

Lego announced the release of the officially licensed Dungeons & Dragons build set Dragon’s Keep: Journey’s End.

1.png

The 3,745 piece set includes a partially collapsed tower, a castle wall, and a tavern with removable roof. For characters, the set has six minifigures for a Dwarf Cleric, Gnome Fighter, Orc Rogue, Elf Wizard, and an NPC Dragonborn and Innkeeper. You’ll also build models of Cinderhowl the Red Dragon (who can also be perched on top of the tower) plus a beholder, a displacer beast, and an owlbear.

21348_alt9_webp_92.jpg

A free adventure will also be available from D&D Beyond and the Lego website on April 1st as a digital download making use of the terrain. To celebrate the release, Lego will host a live stream of the adventure with Anjali Bhimani (Ms. Marvel, Overwatch 2), Ginny Di (YouTuber and cosplayer), Luis Carazo (Candela Obscura, Outbreak: Undead Rag & Bone), Jordon Scott (LEGO Designer), and Lucas Bolt (designer of this set, see below) on April 6, 2024, at 12 noon Eastern.

21348_alt10_webp_92.jpg

The set was designed by Lucas Bolt aka BoltBuildz as part of the Lego Ideas program in a contest launched in 2022. The winner was announced in January 2023 with a preview of the set. As part of the contest, Bolt will receive 1% of net sales of the product, complimentary copies, a D&D prize package, and other considerations.

2.png

The set will be available for sale starting on April 4, 2024, for a retail price of $359.99.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

pemerton

Legend
My brother not only kept all of the LEGO pieces he played with as a kid, but he kept all of the instructions for the sets and would often bag special pieces so they wouldn't get lost in the mix. Granted, my Dad encouraged that behavior, but my brother took to it readily enough.
I did see parents who maintained Lego sets (and let's be real, it was down to the parents, if they hadn't made it happen, it wouldn't have happened), but at least during my childhood during the '80s and '90s, those kids were never "Lego kids" as a result of this, because that's incompatible with creativity. Instead they'd get upset or scared if people tried to do anything creative (even mildly) with their Lego (because they knew they'd never to reverse it), and didn't willingly play with it (or only played with some non-set stuff).
I had a lot of Lego as a kid (in the late 70s and first half of the 80s), and built a lot of things with it. We had a Legoland Ideas book that we took inspiration from, and would build our own ideas as well: http://oldinstructions.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/1980-6000-1-Ideas-Book.pdf

I remember combining our castle and space stuff for a Star Wars/Micronauts/Flash Gordon vibe, and using our Technical Lego to build the monorail that linked various parts of the sci-fi installation.

I still have all the instructions and boxes (cut up, so in flat cardboard form) - or most of them, at least - and most of the pieces (some got lost through holes in the skirting boards of my room and ended up beneath the house; or occasionally got vacuumed up and were not rescued before the vacuum rubbish went into the garbage bin). This was nothing to do with my parents.

When - as an adult - I collected all my Lego from where my parents had it in storage, I was able to rebuild most of the sets, including the original castle:
My kids played with my Lego when they were young, and added to the collection (especially via Friends sets). Now it is all in boxes again, waiting for the next generation!

EDIT: According to this website - https://www.brickeconomy.com/sets/year/1978 - it retailed for about $72 back then. That seems broadly consistent with my understanding, even as a kid, that the big Lego sets were not cheap. My guess would be that, at that time, my dad's salary was around $20,000 per year. (My mum didn't have paid employment at that time.)

(This is all in Australian money.)

Last edited:

If you want parts, there are definitely cheaper options than buying Lego sets aimed at collectors. Including compatible bricks by other companies, many of them with the same and higher quality.
But they have a wide offering in licensed models these days. Some other companies have unlicensed stuff "It's not a Star Wars (TM) Star Destroyer", but Large capital starship or whatever), which is definitely cheaper, with similar or higher quality (look for "Empire over Jedha" for a pretty great looking set.). Personally I got a few BlueBrixx licensed Star Trek sets that were fun to build and look great. I also build one "MOC" set, which was however not cheap at all because I don't have a parts collection and basically custom-ordered parts from Bricklink stories. Fun experiment, but not something I'd recommend.

As an adult, I can definite have some fun building that and putting it on display, but I definitely think it's a bad choice if you want something for kids, because the real fun and value for children is being able to creatively build stuff - even if they use it to mimic something from their favorite IP, getting there on your own is fun and trains problem-solving.
Lego seems to have slacking off in this regard, it used to be that most sets contained one set of instruction and pictures of 2 suggestions what else you could build with them, now only some sets still have that.

Maybe compared to inflation, today's Lego is cheaper than 80s Lego, part for part, but their competitors are still cheaper.

Remove ads

Remove ads