Official List of AL Legal Creatures for Spells/Abilities

kalani

First Post
The rules have not changed since I posted this thread. As such, it is accurate for all spells that summon a creature(s).

Planar Ally would be stuck to things on the list for their respective types (as I said in the original post)...
  • Fiends? You are stuck with quasits and imps.
  • Celestials? You get a pegasus.
  • etc

kalani

First Post
IIRC it is just a cosmetic variation so it should be fine (in theory). If I am miss remembering it and there are actual mechanical differences, the answer would be "no". Some DMs may disallow it however.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
  • DM Basic Rules: Awakened Shrub
Being able to summon one of these would have made these guys' lives a whole lot easier.
[sblock]
qn1evt.jpg
[/sblock]

felwred

First Post
The MM gives instructions for applying templates such as fiendish to certain creatures. Could a planar ally spell summon a fiendish or celestial version of another creature allowed for AL summoning (such as a giant ape or crocodile)?

Fred

kalani

First Post
No as those options are not listed in the allowed rules (which in the case of the MM exclusively applies to beasts from Appendix A)

rballison

First Post
What about polymorph? The spell is in the legal materials, but it isn't a summoning/conjuring spell and there aren't any applicable creatures of the appropriate CR. (Polymorph is gained no sooner than 7th level and is primarily used to transform a PC into a creature of CR equal to his level, although it can be used to transform into a weaker creature or to transform an enemy - subject to a save.) It would seem that it requires the final (and rare) legal option of having the DM approve monsters from the MM.

kalani

First Post
From my original post:
The following Spells/Features require use of the DM Basic Rules

• Features: Elemental Wildshape
  • Spells: awaken (only if plant), conjure celestial, conjure elemental, conjure minor elementals, create undead (ghoul), and planar ally (only if celestial or elemental, as the Imp and Quazit are in the PHB)

All other Spells/Features are limited to the options in the PHB/MM.

This includes (but is not limited to) polymorph, shapechange, find steed, true polymorph, conjure woodland beings (sprite only), conjure fey, gate, wildshape, etc.
Sadly, this means nobody will be shapechanging into a dragon as there are no dragons (other than pseudodragon) in the PHB/MM Appendix A.
To keep the above quote in context, the options from the PHB/MM referenced above are as follows:

PHB - Appendix D (all creatures)
MM - Appendix A (Beasts only)

Remove ads