• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Official ruling on Battlerager Vigor mechanics

Rogue problem

First Post
Could someone with authority on the subject and who completely understands how Battlerager Vigor and Invigorating powers work together with temporary HP please explain it to me. I have read countless posts each with a different idea on when and how and how often temporary HP from the two stack or don't stack and work together.

If you could include a rundown of a battle showing the Hp and hits and temp hit gains and losses that is long enough to go through all the different possibilities that would be great.
If I could see how it works I can understand it better.
Thanks.

Hopefully this wont start another 15 page debate on this ha.

abyssaldeath

First Post
You get a THP CON modifier bonus everytime you are hit with a melee or close attack. So if you have an 18 CON you would get 4 THP after you take damage. These THP do not stack just like the normal rules. This will happen Everytime you are hit.

Invigorating powers give you THP CON modifier bonus when you hit with them. These THP's stack with whatever THP you already have. You can only get this bonus once per round no matter how many times you hit or even if you use more then one Invigorating power in one round.

You always only have one pool of THP, no need to keep track of regular or Invigorating THP.

example: assuming 18 con(+4) and 30hp. All attacks are melee.

round 1:
You get hit for 5 hit points of damage. You are now down to 25hp and have 4THP
You attack and hit with an Invigorating power. You now have 25hp and 8THP

Round 2:
You get hit for 6hp. You now have 25hp and 4THP. Battlerager Vigor THP don't stack so you just use the highest value.
You attack with a normal basic attack. 25hp and 4THP.

round 3:
You get hit for 7hp. You now have 22hp and 4THP
You hit with an Invigorating power. You now have 22hp and 8THP.

Doctor Proctor

First Post
Most of what abyssaldeath said was accurate, but remember that BRV THP only activate when you're hit with a melee or close attack.

Example: Assuming the parameters above of 18 CON (+4 mod) and 30HP.

A Goblin throws his Javelin at you in the first round for 7 damage, you will take the damage and gain no temp hp. So you go from 30hp to 23hp, no temp HP.

You then close with the Goblin and use an Invigorating power, you gain 4 temp hp. Your total is now 23hp and 4thp.

The Goblin draws a melee weapon and attacks you for 5 damage, dropping you to 22hp and letting you gain 4thp.

As you can see, mixing in Ranged combat does change things a bit.

themilkman

First Post
Bettlerager Vigor sounds more complicated than it is. Basically, stacking works like this:

Temp HP only stacks if it is from hitting with a power that has an invigorating keyword.

That's it. That's the only time that it stacks. Period.

The Temp HP you get when you're hit in combat doesn't stack. Temp HP that you get from other powers, party members, or anything else, doesn't stack. The ONLY Temp HP that stacks is Temp HP from invigorating powers.

abyssaldeath

First Post
Bettlerager Vigor sounds more complicated than it is. Basically, stacking works like this:

Temp HP only stacks if it is from hitting with a power that has an invigorating keyword.

That's it. That's the only time that it stacks. Period.

The Temp HP you get when you're hit in combat doesn't stack. Temp HP that you get from other powers, party members, or anything else, doesn't stack. The ONLY Temp HP that stacks is Temp HP from invigorating powers.

I also want to point out that invigorating powers only stack if you have Battlerager Vigor. It doesn't stack for anyone else.

Sunglare

First Post
round 4:
You don't get hit.
You hit with an Invigorating power. You now have 22hp and 12THP.

I disagree with this one. It says Temp HP from invigorating powers stack with "other Temp HP" not itself. You still have to adhear to the rule that Temp HP don't stack. THis is why you should keep them seperated out.
If invigorating Temp HP just kept going up then it would of been easier for them to say "invigorating Temp HP always stack and are cumlitive. Also this way the class is more balance and not as broke as everybody thinks.

So if you have a Paladin who uses Bolstering strike and gains temp HP and then next round use Crushing Surge because he multiclassed as a Fighter he can swap out his other at-will at level 11 those Temp HP stack.
But if he still hasn't been hit by the third round and uses Crushing Surge he will not gain more Temp HP.

keterys

First Post
I disagree with this one. It says Temp HP from invigorating powers stack with "other Temp HP" not itself. You still have to adhear to the rule that Temp HP don't stack. THis is why you should keep them seperated out.

There are no 'other temp hp' and they aren't separate. You have temp or you don't.

The class can stack temp hp from invigorating to high levels, but do remember the bag of rats exclusion.

Remove ads